Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a not so good experience yesterday with highway merge. Coming off one highway onto another highway. The highway is a clover, with the on ramp immediately followed by the off ramp, they share the same very short lane. As I reached the top of the onramp to begin merging a tractor trailer was in the higheay travel lane to my left exiting for the off ramp, the car slowed and the truck continued into the shared merge lane, another vehicle was in the travel lane behind the truck and a car was behind me in the same merge lane. Car was unable to negotiate this and I ended up in the slashed line area between the off ramp and the highway, a little further and I would have been in the grass off the highway. These on ramp, off ramp lanes are very short and the car needs to compute faster especially during heavy traffic. You can't stop on these ramps and merge lane otherwise you'll create a serious accident as cars and trucks are barreling up the on ramp gaining speed looking back to their left in preparation for the upcoming merge. You have a very short distance to negotiate these. Trucks and cars are trying to come off the highway into the same lane you are trying to get on the highway. Not good.

Reactions: totoro722
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, HW3, V11.3.4, 148K miles

Is anybody else having a problem with FSD turning on? I’m noticing it is taking longer and longer before the gray steering wheel appears. Normally as soon as I pulled out of the neighborhood on to main road I would immediately engage FSD. There are times I have to drive quite a way before it engages. Many times the wheel icon appears and immediately disappears. It becomes a game of, to slow try again, almost like whack a mole with the stalk. Same roads I drive everyday that it worked just fine on, but now it just doesn’t appear for sometimes miles. Very odd, I wonder if it is slowly degrading.

Before you ask or state… Yes I rebooted the computer. Yes the cameras are clean, Yes it was sunny some days and cloudy others. Yes the car was centered in its travel lane. Yes the car was doing the speed limit. No I didn’t recalibrate the cameras. Other times it works just fine, I can pull out of neighborhood and it engages immediately. Is anybody else having similar experience with it?
I've experienced this mostly when I disengage and want to re-engage again. It's almost back to how it was pre FSD where it has to see the lane before the steering wheel will pop up. It seeemed worse for me in rain than other conditions.

ETA: Pre-v11, there was a spot on a highway where it wouldn't let me engage while I was still accelerating, but that was more consistent and seems to be resolved while this is more intermittent.

Is anybody else having a problem with FSD turning on? I’m noticing it is taking longer and longer before the gray steering wheel appears. Normally as soon as I pulled out of the neighborhood on to main road I would immediately engage FSD. There are times I have to drive quite a way before it engages. Many times the wheel icon appears and immediately disappears. It becomes a game of, to slow try again, almost like whack a mole with the stalk. Same roads I drive everyday that it worked just fine on, but now it just doesn’t appear for sometimes miles. Very odd, I wonder if it is slowly degrading.

Before you ask or state… Yes I rebooted the computer. Yes the cameras are clean, Yes it was sunny some days and cloudy others. Yes the car was centered in its travel lane. Yes the car was doing the speed limit. No I didn’t recalibrate the cameras. Other times it works just fine, I can pull out of neighborhood and it engages immediately. Is anybody else having similar experience with it?
I've seen this exact behavior with V11.3.4 when pulling out of our neighborhood. Not sure what is causing it since it is a road that is well marked. I have to go about a mile and get to a traffic light before I can engage each time. Strange since I can engage fine in our development with no road lines. I can see the FSD icon flicker occasionally as well.

Yep, same thing happens to me pretty much all the time on 11.3.4. My car is a 2022 MS LR. With previous versions, the gray steering wheel was almost always available as soon as I pulled out of my driveway. Now, for the first mile or so, it will flicker in briefly and then disappear. I think it's purely related to this version of FSDb, and not to any hardware deficiency on your car.

"Is anybody else having similar experience with it?"
YES!

Reactions: scottf200

Is anybody else having a problem with FSD turning on?
On some roads, the Autopilot indicator on the central display keeps flickering on/off, probably illuminated for only 10-20% of the time.

I saw a comment somewhere yesterday that claimed you cannot enable FSD if you are driving over the speed limit—this being related to the NHTSA recall of FSD. I haven't had a chance to test out this claim yet.

... In stop-and-go traffic. it kept trying to make "speed-based" lane changes. It would set the left signal and quickly give up and turn it off again. For 30 seconds, it did this maybe 3-4 times in a row before I turned on "minimal lane changes" to stop the madness. It would turn on the signal just as an adjacent car starts to close the gap, then abort. Repeat over and over. At one point it abruptly shifted toward a gap, then halfway toward entering the new lane it gives up and swerved back all within like 100 milliseconds. I'm sure the adjacent cars thought I was raging at them or something.

Were/are you on 11.3.4? We recently did a road trip from IL to FL and were on the old FSD (10.69.25.2) as the latest wasn't showing up on my X. Well, what you described above happened several times on our trip and we ended up having to turn off FSD because it was incredibly annoying for us and certainly for others around. I have since installed 11.3.4 but haven't had enough experience with it to see it if reoccurs.

vp8QQUl.jpg

On some roads, the Autopilot indicator on the central display keeps flickering on/off, probably illuminated for only 10-20% of the time.

I saw a comment somewhere yesterday that claimed you cannot enable FSD if you are driving over the speed limit—this being related to the NHTSA recall of FSD. I haven't had a chance to test out this claim yet.
My car has 11.3.3 and will engage FSDb over the speed limit, but has issues engaging on small two lane roads.
If I'm lucky and make it there without needing to disengage it will work perfectly, but if I disengage for any reason it won't re-engage.
I happens on a road I travel very regularly so have had lots of test opportunities ;)
Speed, conditions, other road users all seem to have no effect, the FSD icon just flickers.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot

Is anybody else having a problem with FSD turning on? I’m noticing it is taking longer and longer before the gray steering wheel appears.

My car has 11.3.3 and will engage FSDb over the speed limit, but has issues engaging on small two lane roads.
If I'm lucky and make it there without needing to disengage it will work perfectly, but if I disengage for any reason it won't re-engage.
I happens on a road I travel very regularly so have had lots of test opportunities ;)
Speed, conditions, other road users all seem to have no effect, the FSD icon just flickers.
When I get this to a lesser degree, I've found that instead of doing two rapid succession pulls to get into FSD (or AP) that I do the 1st pull ... then wait very briefly to see if the steering wheel icon goes away ... if not then do the 2nd pull. Without this you can get the annoying chime indicating you attempted entering FSD (or AP) when it wasn't available. This method has worked very well overall and much less annoying.

Last edited:
Yeah it wasn't like that before V11. Make sure your seed is not over the posted limit when you engage FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yeah it wasn't like that before V11. Make sure your seed is not over the posted limit when you engage FSD.
miss the point - not having issues engaging FSDb while over the speed limit.
Issues engaging on specific roads will happen (for me) regardless of speed or speed limit. Just on specific roads.
As I mentioned in my post, I get to drive this particular road many, many times and have lots of testing opportunity ;)
Today I found that traveling the other direction on the same road has no issues.
I've tried driving at the speed limit, below it, above it by the same percentage that FSD will start at (5% for me), tried way lower and way higher - definitely not speed related, at least for this specific road. YMMV.
Assuming at some point I'll get the next release and try with that version.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot
First opportunity to try on a busy freeway (8 lanes of traffic, merge of I-15N with 163N after coming off of 52E). This was challenging since there were a lot of trucks and traffic around (but still generally moving 65-80mph).

- Bad hesitation on merge due to traffic coming up from behind caused it to cancel first merge (which I had to signal for of course). It hesitated so I pushed the accelerator and then it merged in ahead of the traffic.

- Lots of disengagements due to getting stuck in the slowest lane which is not where you need to be, you have to get over pretty quick. 32°51'48.0"N 117°06'36.1"W

- I think I had it on Chill to start with and my schedule means I will get another chance today to try it with Assertive in the same area. Hopefully not in completely stopped traffic.

This would have been a challenging situation for a human, but basically the move is to rapidly move out all the way to the #1 or #2 lane, right after getting off the 52E onramp to I-15, which are always more empty, before flying back across to take the Mira Mesa exit. It requires about 12-14 lane changes over the course of 6 miles or so, so nothing too crazy. So that's what I'm hoping for next time.

Anyway not too impressed with this but also I would have liked to have tried it again. And probably will. But it may be too slow a test case to be useful.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
An interesting thing happened the other day with V11.3.x -

On freeway - now that the car can give itself a little more room when driving adjacent to a truck, I also noticed that it did the same with a motorcycle speeding quickly from behind. Car was in the middle lane, motorcycle was coming up fast from behind on the left lane and the car moved over to the right. That's nice.

yes it is happening to me since Wednesday. I am glad that I am not the only one!!! please let us know if you found any more info on this.

I've experienced this mostly when I disengage and want to re-engage again. It's almost back to how it was pre FSD where it has to see the lane before the steering wheel will pop up. It seeemed worse for me in rain than other conditions.

ETA: Pre-v11, there was a spot on a highway where it wouldn't let me engage while I was still accelerating, but that was more consistent and seems to be resolved while this is more intermittent.
I should have known better than to post this. Probably could have kept mine limited to rain had I simply kept it to myself; now it's just like everyone else's.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I'm on 11.3.4 and like others here have had problems engaging FSD at certain times. What I can say, in my case, is that if I am exceding the speed limit showing on the display the gray steering wheel will disappear and when I slow to below the speed limit the gray steering wheel will reappear and I can engage FSD. I'm not saying its speed related for anyone else but it sure seems to be for me.

I am noting that in the OTA recall portion of the release notes for 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), it states:
4. Updated the behavior for certain scenarios where the tesla may maneuver from a turn lane to continue traveling straight. These maneuvers, will now be treated as a lane change, where the turn indicator is used to alert other drivers of the Tesla's intent.
This is really getting proving to be annoying and potentially dangerous. Consider the following intersection:

Gillespie_and_Fernbridge.png

In this instance, I am approaching on Gillespie Rd from the right. As I approach the dashed line separating the left-turn lane from the widened lane continuing straight, FSD engages the right-turn signal, which follows the release note, above. I believe this can be dangerous, as any car stopped at Fernbridge Blvd. (seeing my right signal) can reasonably assume that I intend to turn right onto Fernbridge, justifying his own move into the intesection to turn or go straight right in front of me.

How is it the NHTSA made Tesla not only change FSD to implement this behavior, but as a recall, no less?!?