Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where in the Settings does one request FSD Beta? I just got a new Model S, which came with a free 3-month trial of FSD but I can't figure out where to request the Beta in the new software for the refresh Model S.

I had FSB Beta for 2 years with my previous Model S, but can't remember where one requested it.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any support for Summon currently, as it doesn't show up in settings anywhere (nor in the app), even though Summon is included with even EAP, whose features this car clearly has working (i.e. automated lane changes).

PS: has anyone tried FSD without anything dialed up in the navigation? Where does the car go?
My experience is that it continues straight ahead on the roadway it started on. I don't know how it decides which way to go when it reaches a T in the roadway.
Yes, I often do. It randomly selects a direction when it cannot go straight. What I presume it is doing is minimizing some cost function which is returning values so close to a 50/50 split that tiny random differences in the values lead to one direction over another.

That's a perfectly acceptable response, given the context. It's starting from O'Dowd proclaiming:

"FSD tried to kill us in an hour of city driving! Everyone should demand it be banned immediately."

FSD Beta made a mistake. It didn't try to kill anyone any more than any other piece of technology tries to kill you on a daily basis.
Dan O'Dowd is approaching the issue from the wrong side. I agree that FSD is not trying to kill anyone, to the best of our knowledge. Not that it couldn't, for example some malicious coding or weird AI decision pathway could one day take some action that causes harm rather than avoids harm. There's no known evidence of any of that yet.

However FSD is failing to drive in a safe manner which can easily lead to harm. For example, saying "stopping for stop sign" while showing a stop sign, and then failing to stop safely for the stop sign. It's done that on videos we've seen. To the extent that people are fully trusting FSD (which they shouldn't) it may seem indistinguishable from murderous intent, but it's not that at all. I might argue that if FSD was to suddenly and unexpectedly lurch the car completely off a driving line and into a tree then that might constitute "trying to kill", but I don't think we've seen that happen. What we're seeing is incorrect decisions at incorrect times.
Though, merging directly into the path of other vehicles is pretty close to "worse than unsafe" I suppose.

TL;DR. FSD isn't trying to kill, it's randomly unsafe

Reactions: kabin and jebinc
Someone else just ran Ross' intersection at 30mph and FSD was able to stop in time. It appears to be deterministic. Anything 35mph or over and all bets are off. Maybe excess system latency as FSD is unable to process the stop sign and enable braking? Unfortunately the speed limit is 35mph.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sharps97 and jebinc
Someone else just ran Ross' intersection at 30mph and FSD was able to stop in time. It appears to be deterministic. Anything 35mph or over and all bets are off. Maybe excess system latency as FSD is unable to process the stop sign and enable braking? Unfortunately the speed limit is 35mph.

People are reporting that as of this afternoon it stops correctly when going 35MPH. (Maybe Tesla put some updated map information in the system, that gets downloaded when you have an active route?)

Reactions: willow_hiller
People are reporting that as of this afternoon it stops correctly when going 35MPH. (Maybe Tesla put some updated map information in the system, that gets downloaded when you have an active route?)

At least one video, for context:

We know O'Dowd spent millions of dollars on an anti-Tesla Superbowl ad. Would it be entirely surprising if we eventually learned he had installed a GPS jammer at that location?

After all, there is a famous case of hackers using off-the-shelf parts to displace a Tesla's GPS signal and cause NOA to take a wrong exit: Two years since the Tesla GPS hack - GPS World

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Just got back from a 1600 mile round trip. The autopilot works well on the highway and I noticed that courtesy has been programed into the system. In the past the car would get into the left lane and just stay there, now if a car is close behind, ego moves to the right lane without being told to. It's not always the best move but it is a kinder car now. I did two roundabouts, it worked well on one but not the other. I'm not sure why. There are some behaviors that I had not considered before as problems until I found myself in a unique situation. I was stopped on the interstate because of a left lane closure about a half mile ahead of me and I got into the right lane in advance of the closure, after being in the slower right lane and with a still empty left lane the car, correctly, saw the empty left lane and tried to get into it and pass the stopped traffic. So the autopilot works very well in stop and go traffic as long as all the lanes have traffic in them.
The trip up and back took about 11 hours, with stops, each. The car drove most of the interstate except when there was heavy rain and, correctly, slowed down for safety reasons. I believe it was to conservative in some of its speed choices and I drove at higher speeds.
This may not be part of the FSD discussion, however I think it deserves mentioning, I understand the logic behind stopping to charge more frequently, in theory it reduces charging time and thus total trip time, however, the time lost getting on and off the interstate and possibly waiting for a charger not to mention the additional stress, I think, should be reconsidered by Tesla when planning trips. I would prefer to charge longer and make fewer stops.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
after being in the slower right lane and with a still empty left lane the car, correctly, saw the empty left lane and tried to get into it and pass the stopped traffic
Hot take incoming - zipper merges are much more efficient. While I don't believe FSD chooses the 'most efficient' option and this was just the result of a simple if-then, an empty left lane is unused traffic real estate.

I would prefer to charge longer and make fewer stops.
Couldn't figure out how to edit an existing message and add quotes. Sorry for the double tap.

Interesting. Definitely preference. ABRP certainly helps me confirm Tesla's navigation but I would prefer shorter elapsed time. That charging ramp on non-LFPs really slows down above 50%.

I disliske that Tesla doesn't let you pre-program a desired arrival SOC. i.e. getting to the beach house at 12% is great, but not if I have to get back to a SC 150 Miles away.

Reactions: old pilot
Couldn't figure out how to edit an existing message and add quotes. Sorry for the double tap.

Interesting. Definitely preference. ABRP certainly helps me confirm Tesla's navigation but I would prefer shorter elapsed time. That charging ramp on non-LFPs really slows down above 50%.

I disliske that Tesla doesn't let you pre-program a desired arrival SOC. i.e. getting to the beach house at 12% is great, but not if I have to get back to a SC 150 Miles away.
Use ABRP for that.

I noticed that courtesy has been programed into the system. In the past the car would get into the left lane and just stay there, now if a car is close behind, ego moves to the right lane without being told to. It's not always the best move but it is a kinder car now.
Yes, this stood out to me too, on a trip yesterday. At first I wondered why it was squeezing between two trucks but it seems to respond to vehicles moving up from behind.
...the logic behind stopping to charge more frequently, in theory it reduces charging time and thus total trip time, however, the time lost getting on and off the interstate and possibly waiting for a charger not to mention the additional stress,...
I agree about perhaps scheduling fewer stops. A trip leg from the Atkins, VA charger (pay by the kwh) to my destination in Sevierville TN showed another stop just over the border in TN (pay by the minute). I terminated the trip at the Atkins charger and charged to 90% instead and rescheduled the trip, enabling me to drive the whole 160 miles to the rental property, arriving at 23%.

No FSDb disengagements on the 160 mi leg that took me from the onramp at Atkins to the door of the rental, up a twisty mountain road. FSDb was used for perhaps 95% of the trip.
I was impressed.

Reactions: old pilot

You can fake it by adding another stop at the end in your nav route. You want to arrive with 40%? Set the last stop to be anywhere that’s that far away :cool:

Hot take incoming - zipper merges are much more efficient. While I don't believe FSD chooses the 'most efficient' option and this was just the result of a simple if-then, an empty left lane is unused traffic real estate.
Sure, zipper merges are way better in theory, but getting a license doesn't necessarily mean one can handle the complexity of a zipper merge (or most other driving tasks, tbqh). While a new highway was being built near me, the construction area actually had signs that said to use both lanes up to the merge and take turns merging. People couldn't do that even with the signs (lots of people staying in the right lane in spite of the use both lanes sign, probably the same people not letting people in the left lane merge because they're "cutting"), so without the signs, I'd think all bets are off.

That's a perfectly acceptable response, given the context. It's starting from O'Dowd proclaiming:

"FSD tried to kill us in an hour of city driving! Everyone should demand it be banned immediately."

FSD Beta made a mistake. It didn't try to kill anyone any more than any other piece of technology tries to kill you on a daily basis.

You must in the special forces if technology is trying to kill you on a daily basis. :)

But seriously, with closing speeds upwards of 50mph there very likely could have been a casualty among the five or more occupants in the Tesla and white SUV.

Good luck trying to downplay it. This one will remain part of FSD's unsafe history.

The stop sign non-stoppage is not an isolated incident on 11.4.4. There are two here it seems to have similar trouble with consistently. Neither is obscured in the slightest. Both are very rural.
Yes and it isn't just stop signs it misses. It also misses close approaching vehicles during unprotected turns. Heck one video was a very large semi and FSD wanted to offer-up the FSD driver as a sacrifice to the AI gawds.

You must in the special forces if technology is trying to kill you on a daily basis. :)

But seriously, with closing speeds upwards of 50mph there very likely could have been a casualty among the five or more occupants in the Tesla and white SUV.

Good luck trying to downplay it. This one will remain part of FSD's unsafe history.

No need for military technology.

If you're blaming a car for running a stop sign while you're behind the wheel and in full control, something tells me you're also the kind of person to have to focus really hard to avoid death by regular household objects.

It's the same group of people for which the "Do not touch the blades while the lawn mower is in operation" warnings had to be written for.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jeewee3000
Sure, zipper merges are way better in theory, but getting a license doesn't necessarily mean one can handle the complexity of a zipper merge (or most other driving tasks, tbqh). While a new highway was being built near me, the construction area actually had signs that said to use both lanes up to the merge and take turns merging. People couldn't do that even with the signs (lots of people staying in the right lane in spite of the use both lanes sign, probably the same people not letting people in the left lane merge because they're "cutting"), so without the signs, I'd think all bets are off.
Zipper merges became mandatory a few years ago here in Belgium (when traffic is slow and two lanes become one lane).

Before then there used to be signs of how it is polite and beneficial to zipper merge, now you just have to.

But after like 5 years of it being mandatory by law, many drivers don't use the disappearing lane since they think they are "cutting the line".

It goes to show many people are just bad drivers that drive based on a hunch ( of what they feel is the easy/right/safe thing to do) instead of just following the rules of the road. FSDb won't have this issue.

Zipper merge ftw!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and edseloh