Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really puts a damper on all used Tesla's coming with FSD to pump the price up on the used cars to the same as a new car without FSD.

Keith
FSD never “pumped the price” of a used Tesla. It was basically worthless In private party sales and trade ins to Tesla or Carmax.

The only ones making money off it was…Tesla when they would strip it from the vehicle and re-sell it to a new owner.

Reactions: JasonR67 and ucmndd
Can anyone explain why HW3 upgrade costs $1500 when the car was advertised as "All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."?

It very much appears that was not true, and now people have to pay $1500 for Tesla's misleading statement. The car is still under warranty! Looks like I'll be heading to small claims court....

Last edited:
I think $199 is still a rip off. Not worth that to me.

Too bad they don’t have an EAP option for $50 a month. I would take that. If Tesla continue to hold out on these features except at stupid prices, then I will get another brand next time. Basic autopilot is below par for the standard of a driver’s assitance package.
I have been wondering this too. Can you provide some details as to how AP is inferior?

I can only think of the fact there is no LED in the side mirrors for blind spot detection.

Cool. I think it's cheap considering a 4+ year break even for the upfront purchasing. I would have guess they would make it a 2 year break even.

Anyone know the cancellation terms? Can you cancel after a month, wait a month and then re-subscribe for a month, etc? Any commitment beyond a month?

Last edited:
Cool. I think it's cheap for a 4+ year break event of purchasing. I would have guess they would make it a 2 year break even.

Anyone know the cancellation terms? Can you cancel after a month, wait a month and then re-subscribe for a month, etc? Any commitment beyond a month?

Nope, it's month by month... though you don't get a refund if you cancel in the middle of a month for the unused 2 weeks or anything.

4+ year break even for newer cars (with HW3).... which seems reasonable- that's still less time than the average American owns a new car for so it still will cost the owner more vs buying FSD but not for a good while.

The HW2.5 owners should've paid the 2-3k to buy FSD when they got the car.... with the $1500 needed HW upgrade the subscription ends up costing them more than if they'd just bought it in full originally after only 5-15 months.

Reactions: JBT66 and TLLMRRJ
FSD never “pumped the price” of a used Tesla. It was basically worthless In private party sales and trade ins to Tesla or Carmax.

The only ones making money off it was…Tesla when they would strip it from the vehicle and re-sell it to a new owner.
That was my point. Tesla pumped new car sales by pricing used cars at new car price by adding FSD and refusing to remove it from used cars. This technique worked on me, I would probably have purchased a used Stealth MYP if I could have gotten one without FSD... but I saw no point in paying new MYP price for a used MYP with beta FSD software. I wonder if they will still be doing this?

Keith

Actually seems reasonable to me compared to paying $10k upfront to try it out. At $200/month, it’d take 50 months of payments to equal the upfront cost, which has been rumored to climb to $14k soon.

It's not that easy. If FSD up-front goes up 40% then surely the subscription will go up to $280/mo. That means at only 36 months (@$280/mo.) you would have spent more on the subscription than the current $10K up-front price (which is essentially locked in).

It's like property. If you're saying that homes are going to increase in price by 40% then buy the house now and lock in the price instead of renting where your monthly cost will skyrocket 40%.

Well for instance the drivers assistance package in my Mercedes can do automatic lane changes and auto park. It can also steer at speeds above 75mph.
Latest software on vision only lets you drive at 80 mph now. But I agree. Also, most cars come with rear cross traffic alert, some have front cross traffic alert, most have real blind spot warning, and many have "birds eye view" when parking.

Keith

It's not that easy. If FSD up-front goes up 40% then surely the subscription will go up to $280/mo. which means at only 36 months (@$280/mo.) you would have spent more on the subscription than the current $10K up-front price (which is essentially locked in).

Ahhh, but they seem to have struck the correct price balance at this point. They want.... or perhaps NEED is a better term, more Beta testers for FSD. With the price at $200 a month they have me as a Beta tester when ever I take a long road trip (several times a year) but if the price were $280 I would say "too rich for my blood" and they would not get to use me as a Beta tester.

Keith

The HW2.5 owners should've paid the 2-3k to buy FSD when they got the car.... with the $1500 needed HW upgrade the subscription ends up costing them more than if they'd just bought it in full originally after only 5-15 months.
Tesla wouldn't even tell you back then that you were getting HW2.5 or HW3. How was a buyer back then to know?