Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Detailer has suggested to me to only jack it with two jacks at the same time so as not to stress the pano roof glass as he's had a few crack in the early days..
I'm having mine ceramic coated in July at the cost of a spleen and a left testicle.
Ceramic coating shouldn't be that much... Maybe $1500 tops and that usually includes some paint correction.

Reactions: CharlieBravo
I recommend everyone picking up their cars soon or recently to check your jacking points. Mine came with scuffs/marring on all four jack points at delivery. Anyone recommend a touch up paint to fix this?

Attachments

• BC2E1C05-B26E-47D7-ACA7-15E58B66F4E6.jpeg
    BC2E1C05-B26E-47D7-ACA7-15E58B66F4E6.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 297
  • F82134E2-C1F9-42A5-8B4A-FAF8E56B2C9E.jpeg
    F82134E2-C1F9-42A5-8B4A-FAF8E56B2C9E.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 76382211-F22B-4C63-A5E9-94F40E6AFADB.jpeg
    76382211-F22B-4C63-A5E9-94F40E6AFADB.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 1784673A-7AF5-4FE0-9D58-0F17B60F3854.jpeg
    1784673A-7AF5-4FE0-9D58-0F17B60F3854.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3
In case you wanted to see what SC said. Surprised they don’t use some kind of pad for the lifts. I think I’m just going to pass on touching it up and making it worst.
The ones I’ve seen, do. Could just be a fluke. If you’re genuinely worried about it, cover it up with whatever black paint you have laying around and move on. Mine are pretty worn from lifting the car. Whatever - they’re jack points, and not integral to the chassis, anyway.

Lifting the car for a state inspection? Never heard of that, especially on an electric car. Maybe only CA, if at all. Having said that, there's no reason for dealers not to use proper rubber pads, even if nothing happens to the bare metal. I bought a set of 4, and if my car ever needs service, I will make sure dealer has proper pads, or I'd tell them to use mine. And the reason is not only to avoid unnecessary damage to the metal, but to avoid hitting the battery pack (pads create more space).

Lifting the car for a state inspection? Never heard of that, especially on an electric car. Maybe only CA, if at all. Having said that, there's no reason for dealers not to use proper rubber pads, even if nothing happens to the bare metal. I bought a set of 4, and if my car ever needs service, I will make sure dealer has proper pads, or I'd tell them to use mine. And the reason is not only to avoid unnecessary damage to the metal, but to avoid hitting the battery pack (pads create more space).

They used to do that in the old days here in NJ.
Now, the inspection is just for emissions; therefore, EVs are completely exempted.

But I do remember when they used to lift the car and inspect the brakes and suspension. Has been a while!

Reactions: rlb4
Just to bandwagon this...I purchased these. Have been used by two different places during wheel changes and work. They were glad I had them, lifts easily and works great. Cheap protection, most places should know/be aware, but they might not have pucks...hate being that customer...but important they know these are really essential and preventative while lifting.

One place I went to I gave them the pucks, pointed them out, said use them...look out the window into the service bay and the guy is about to lift the car with small wood blocks on the lift. 1 thing that is important to me, lifting, use the pucks!!!! So they did. They probably hate me, but unless they want to replace a $20k battery if something goes wrong...well...listen to the customer on this one!!

Just to bandwagon this...I purchased these. Have been used by two different places during wheel changes and work. They were glad I had them, lifts easily and works great. Cheap protection, most places should know/be aware, but they might not have pucks...hate being that customer...but important they know these are really essential and preventative while lifting.

One place I went to I gave them the pucks, pointed them out, said use them...look out the window into the service bay and the guy is about to lift the car with small wood blocks on the lift. 1 thing that is important to me, lifting, use the pucks!!!! So they did. They probably hate me, but unless they want to replace a $20k battery if something goes wrong...well...listen to the customer on this one!!

These are in no way needed to lift one on of these cars. Most shops that have modern lifts already have rubber pads on the lift arms as is.