Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys might be getting trolled by a FUDster. New member? One day? One post? Owner for a year? Smells fishy like the many posts on here like Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Why would you think that? We already know Tesla is using a third party for their insurance and that the rental service is not Tesla based on the policy documentation folks have gotten once they signed up. So this is all not unexpected, not sure why you think it is FUD?

I am not surprised the OP didn’t read every sentence of the policy, many probably didn’t.

The CHP might not come out to all accidents but it doesn't absolve you from the requirement to file a police report. For a hit-and-run if you think about it if an officer came out to the scene he wouldn't see anything anyway since the guy took off so it gets left up to insurance to handle. If there are injuries, they would want to come to the scene to record info in that case--probably more to protect the injured down the road in a lawsuit. It will be up to investigating officers reading the report back at the station to determine how they proceed (if they have enough info to successfully track the person down).

@MARK123, let us know how the claim and the hit-and-run issue proceed. You didn't say but did you have TeslaCam working so that you got video? I've seen on here, maybe a month or so ago, another Tesla driver in the carpool lane get side swiped by a biker. He had his dashcam working so we all got to see it. A hit-and-run too.

Reactions: Guy V
Additionally, in her email, she explained I could use a rental service while repairing later, but the current in-network rental provider is Enterprise... NOT TESLA....

Tesla is not a rental car company, any more than Geico or Farmers. I’m not sure why you’d expect them to handle this in-house?

Thanks for the report - very interesting.

The CHP might not come out to all accidents but it doesn't absolve you from the requirement to file a police report. For a hit-and-run if you think about it if an officer came out to the scene he wouldn't see anything anyway since the guy took off so it gets left up to insurance to handle. If there are injuries, they would want to come to the scene to record info in that case--probably more to protect the injured down the road in a lawsuit. It will be up to investigating officers reading the report back at the station to determine how they proceed (if they have enough info to successfully track the person down).

@MARK123, let us know how the claim and the hit-and-run issue proceed. You didn't say but did you have TeslaCam working so that you got video? I've seen on here, maybe a month or so ago, another Tesla driver in the carpool lane get side swiped by a biker. He had his dashcam working so we all got to see it. A hit-and-run too.

Thank you for the information. I didn't mentioned TeslaCam because it was working I'm pretty sure but when I off the HWY it's already 1 hour ahead and all record was overwritten by new data (yeah TeslaCam didn't recognize it as an emergency, that guy used his left leg to kick my car on the right front fender and damaged it, guess not enough to trigger Tesla's build-in camera's alarm)

But I have an additional dash camera, and kept the video. That's why I only mentioned "dash camera" but not TeslaCam

Tesla is not a rental car company, any more than Geico or Farmers. I’m not sure why you’d expect them to handle this in-house?

Thanks for the report - very interesting.

Very good point - when talking about Tesla, it's just Tesla in my eye. My fault must to say, too young to notice the truth of the reality, guess that's why we always count on experienced ones.

Moderator note: Please stay on topic, which is the situation posted by member @MARK123. And no personal attacks. Thank you.

Thank you man.

Well all I want to do is to share my experience and hope the information would help people in somewhere at some point.

Guys are free to say anything, I don't mind actually, to be honest, they won't do any damage to me, just sitting on the other side of the screen XD

Reactions: Ulmo