Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My primary claim is all these issues folks have raised across every type of flash storage are (excluding the few folks who got defective HW) a software problem.

The most obvious evidence- besides most issues clearing up as software gets updated (or in case of too slow being INTRODUCED by software updates) is the example I already gave you.

The owner who had two Teslas.

One with a too slow error, the other without.

So he swapped the storage.

The problem STAYED WITH THE SAME CAR.

Instead of following the storage device.

Because it's a software problem

Weird- because the evidence doesn't really support that.

Also the specs show your SSD has a much more narrow operating temp range than many of the USB keys and flash cards recommended.

SSDs are simply used by a lot less people, so overall there's fewer reports of issues. But they still HAVE the issues.

Because, again, it's a software problem

I've run my samsung USB drive for over 3 times longer than you've run your SSD, with 0 errors, for 1/3rd the price.

If we're gonna pretend anecdotes are data, mine wins :)

BTW, I happened across a guy who recently got the 40.x update.

USB / Dashcam fault issue fixed with 40.1.1 : teslamotors

He'd been getting too slow errors on his USB flash device until then.

The update fixed it.

(40.x only rolled in large #s in the last few days- so too early to say if it fixed it for a LOT of people.... but it's even more evidence this is a software issue, not HW)

I’m not disputing there are software issues with the sentry mode. What I’m disputing is that certain errors appear less in SSD and especially the T5. You still haven’t provided me the evidence that there is the too slow error that has appeared in the T5 specifically which I’ve repeatedly asked for. You theorize that since SSds have exhibited some of the issues, that all issues will manifest which is complete conjecture. I still can’t find any threads that link the T5 to the too slow error. I’m still searching.

You still haven’t provided me the evidence that there is the too slow error that has appeared in the T5 specifically which I’ve repeatedly asked for. You theorize that since SSds have exhibited some of the issues, that all issues will manifest which is complete conjecture. I still can’t find any threads that link the T5 to the too slow error. I’m still searching.

Meanwhile, like 7 posts ago in this very thread

the one speed error warning I saw for a ssd was a samsung T5 a few weeks ago.

I hope someone can help me, I'm having issues with my USB drive for the dashcam. I have two Model 3s, both are SR+, one with FSD and one without. I originally ordered two of these (Samsung 256GB Flash drive) as I saw it recommended online. After one of the most recent software updates, both cars started saying that the write speed was too slow. Unplugging and plugging the flash drive back in was a temporary workaround, but after a few minutes or hours the error message would come back, and I confirmed that nothing was being recorded to the drive when the error message was being displayed.

After doing additional research, I ordered this (SanDisk MobileMate microSD card reader) and this (SanDisk 256GB high endurance MicroSD card, specifically advertised for usage with dash cams). It worked fine for me for about 10 days, and then my car simply stopped recognizing it. I plugged it into my computer and confirmed there was nothing wrong with it, it still had all my sentry mode recordings up until November 15th, and then nothing. I ultimately decided to reformat the card again (using Disk Utility on Mac, using FAT, just as I had done the first time around) and still the car will not recognize it. I tried it on the other Model 3 and it also does not recognize it, so either Tesla did something again in the most recent software update, or something went wrong with the drive? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

same exact issue with the same SDCard + adapter.

Did you ever understood of the issue is on the adapter or on the card ? Right now I am using an ssd but not sure it will be reliable in hot weather or even longer drives (might get a bit hot all closed up inside the case). The card is supposed to be good for longevity but … I wonder if for some reason its no longer up to the necessary speed requirements or maybe the adapter is no longer supported ...

(This is a more active thread, so reposting from another thread)
I'm a new owner and only drove my Tesla a few times so far. I have two partitions on a drive for teslacam and music. The first few times I did not notice any pauses in music -- it played continuously. However, after the latest upgrade two days ago (to 2019.40.50.5), I drove it twice and both times I noticed pauses in the music played from usb. I suppose I could use two separate drives, but that would occupy both usb ports and leaves no room for the phone to charge.

Anyone else noticed this problem recently? Any solution that works, without having to use two separate drives for teslacam and music?

I'm a new owner and only drove my Tesla a few times so far. I have two partitions on a drive for teslacam and music. The first few times I did not notice any pauses in music -- it played continuously. However, after the latest upgrade two days ago (to 2019.40.50.5), I drove it twice and both times I noticed pauses in the music played from usb. I suppose I could use two separate drives, but that would occupy both usb ports and leaves no room for the phone to charge.

Anyone else noticed this problem recently? Any solution that works, without having to use two separate drives for teslacam and music?
First, congrats on the new car and welcome to the Tesla family!

I have seen others elsewhere on TMC report the same issues after the recent upgrades that you are reporting. I myself haven't experienced it, but I am still on 2019.40.50.1 (for whatever reason I am always late in the upgrade cycles).

I myself use two separate 256 GB USB drives to maximize music and space for Sentry and TeslaCam. I use the $33 SanDisk from Costco and have not had any slow drive issues that others are experiencing - however, I am a believer that this is a software issue (in the car) and not a drive issue. But that has already been discussed ad nauseam in this thread.

I also have a wireless charger in my car for the phone. The TapTes unit I have came with two USB splitters, so I can have both USB drives plugged in AND power both ports of the Qi charger. Since the USB ports are low amperage, I also have a cigarette lighter plug with a cable if I need better phone charging.

I'd advise that if you have a Costco, go check out the drives they offer.

I went there today to return a cruz usb drive that was not working with my sentry.

They had some Samsung and SanDisk portable SSDs. Worth giving it a go and returning to Costco if you keep getting the error (just in case).

Going to try out the SSD route myself.

I'm a new owner and only drove my Tesla a few times so far. I have two partitions on a drive for teslacam and music.

I suggest making the 2 tasks separate by using 2 different drives. one is mostly read-only (music) and the other is almost all write-only. those 2 will fight each other.

I have not noticed any audio skips on my system and I run high bitrate flac files, some are 96k and some are even 192k. those files would cause skipping if anything would, and I don't notice it.

defrag your drive (reformat and even better, secure-erase if you can) frequently if you are not using ext4fs (linux style).

I'd advise that if you have a Costco, go check out the drives they offer.

I went there today to return a cruz usb drive that was not working with my sentry.
I have used the SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from them (one for muzak and one for Sentry & Cam) since August and have had zero issues. I say to not waste your money on an SSD as either A) you got a bad drive, or B) you have the same (car) software issue that has plagued so many others. I suspect the latter.

I have not noticed any audio skips on my system and I run high bitrate flac files, some are 96k and some are even 192k. those files would cause skipping if anything would, and I don't notice it.

defrag your drive (reformat and even better, secure-erase if you can) frequently if you are not using ext4fs (linux style).

I can't imagine a single reason you'd ever want to secure-erase any flash media used to store your music unless I suppose you were disposing of the drive permanently.

Any other time it would provide not only no benefit at all, it would use up an entire drive worth of write cycles.

Likewise recommended defragging (let alone frequent defragging) of a flash drive (especially one only being read from in general) is totally nonsensical.... again 0 benefit, and you reduce the life of the device.

Reactions: Runt8
Likewise recommended defragging (let alone frequent defragging) of a flash drive (especially one only being read from in general) is totally nonsensical.... again 0 benefit, and you reduce the life of the device.

note, I said to use format or secure erase as a way to get a 'free defrag'.

if people thought I meant the old style defrag, I did NOT mean that!

I meant that when you format and copy files fresh, they are naturally defragged.

• Funny
Reactions: laketica
I have used the SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from them (one for muzak and one for Sentry & Cam) since August and have had zero issues. I say to not waste your money on an SSD as either A) you got a bad drive, or B) you have the same (car) software issue that has plagued so many others. I suspect the latter.

Thats the same drive I was using and I had issues with intermediately.

Well, maybe it is a software issue....

same exact issue with the same SDCard + adapter.

Did you ever understood of the issue is on the adapter or on the card ? Right now I am using an ssd but not sure it will be reliable in hot weather or even longer drives (might get a bit hot all closed up inside the case). The card is supposed to be good for longevity but … I wonder if for some reason its no longer up to the necessary speed requirements or maybe the adapter is no longer supported ...
I had issues with the same setup. It worked for a few days and then the car would no longer recognize the card. I then pulled it out of the car and plugged it into my computer and nothing. I next tried the SD card in another adapter and it worked, so it appears the SanDisk microSD card reader is the culprit.