Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using a Pi Zero W with 256GB SanDisk endurance. Haven’t seen the "too slow" message.
Exact same setup for me and I've had it happen twice now in about a week and a half. Based on many other posts across Reddit, Facebook, TMC, etc. this is new (very random) bug with v10. You can buy the fastest drives on the market but the USB 2.0 ports in the Tesla are limited to 60MBps throughput.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
Please clarify, are you saying the Samsung Fit Plus is currently working after upgrading to V10?
Yes, I'm saying the problem with the "drive too slow" message continued to appear for me on v10 (32.11) with the 128GB Samsung Fit Plus. I initially had it partitioned roughly in half with the first partition setup for TeslaCam and the second for music with 320k MP3s. I regularly cleared off the TeslaCam partition but it never completely filled up. At one point before v10 I completely wiped the drive and set the partitions up again with Rufus, this time making the music partition a bit larger so there was more free space available. I was still getting the "drive too slow" message from TeslaCam though.

When the problem continued with v10, I switched to a two drive setup with a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Fit drive for TeslaCam in one port and a 64GB Samsung Fit drive for music (an older white model that looks similar to the SanDisk Ultra Fit). These were freshly formatted and installed. Both had worked fine for music in the past and I had the 64GB Samsung Fit setup with dual partitions (TeslaCam/Music) prior to buying the 128GB Ultra Fit drive for more capacity. I didn't get any TeslaCam warnings about the drive being too slow but now music was pausing on the 64GB Samsung Fit. Reinserting the drive would fix the problem temporarily but it paused several times on a couple of albums that had previously played fine on the 128GB Samsung Fit Plus.

I do not use a USB hub. The drives are connected plugged directly into the front console USB ports.

I haven't driven since receiving the 32.11.1 update so maybe there's a fix in that update.

Yes, I'm saying the problem with the "drive too slow" message continued to appear for me on v10 (32.11) with the 128GB Samsung Fit Plus. I initially had it partitioned roughly in half with the first partition setup for TeslaCam and the second for music with 320k MP3s. I regularly cleared off the TeslaCam partition but it never completely filled up. At one point before v10 I completely wiped the drive and set the partitions up again with Rufus, this time making the music partition a bit larger so there was more free space available. I was still getting the "drive too slow" message from TeslaCam though.

When the problem continued with v10, I switched to a two drive setup with a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Fit drive for TeslaCam in one port and a 64GB Samsung Fit drive for music (an older white model that looks similar to the SanDisk Ultra Fit). These were freshly formatted and installed. Both had worked fine for music in the past and I had the 64GB Samsung Fit setup with dual partitions (TeslaCam/Music) prior to buying the 128GB Ultra Fit drive for more capacity. I didn't get any TeslaCam warnings about the drive being too slow but now music was pausing on the 64GB Samsung Fit. Reinserting the drive would fix the problem temporarily but it paused several times on a couple of albums that had previously played fine on the 128GB Samsung Fit Plus.

I do not use a USB hub. The drives are connected plugged directly into the front console USB ports.

I haven't driven since receiving the 32.11.1 update so maybe there's a fix in that update.

I just started using a Samsung Fit Plus 256GB usb drive after receiving the 32.11.1 with no issues. I did have to reformat the drive out of the box, as it comes formatted in exfat and I had to reformat it to FAT32. But after reformatting to FAT32 and installing the Tesla Cam folder, I have no issues.

If you reformatted your 128 GB fit drive to FAT32 and are still having issues, it may be time to call Tesla service.

Reactions: superblast
I just started using a Samsung Fit Plus 256GB usb drive after receiving the 32.11.1 with no issues. I did have to reformat the drive out of the box, as it comes formatted in exfat and I had to reformat it to FAT32. But after reformatting to FAT32 and installing the Tesla Cam folder, I have no issues.

If you reformatted your 128 GB fit drive to FAT32 and are still having issues, it may be time to call Tesla service.
Good to know. Do you partition your Fit Plus for music too or just use it for TeslaCam?

I thought maybe there was an issue with the USB2 port not being able to handle music playing and video recording from the same drive so that's why I switched to the two drive setup.

I do recall reading that Tesla added the "drive too slow" warning because of too many complaints of corrupt dashcam footage and I also recall seeing corrupt video in my TeslaCam folder from time to time. Perhaps the drive is performing the same as always but now we're being alerted when there's a problem where before it just behaved like nothing was wrong even though there were writing errors.

Can anyone with a microSD card and adapter chime in on whether or not their setup has remained trouble free through the recent updates?

You didn't actually "prove me wrong", you proved that what I said was correct - that the mac didn't create the huge number of hidden files you claimed, instead it just creates a small number (2-3) of harmless hidden files, as I said. Reading comprehension is important - you have to read ALL the words a person types. Granted, it was a bit confusing in that thread at first, with 2 guys talking about strange experiences with decades old cars, and being totally off topic and everything.

And I was very clear that I don't know whether it causes an issue on the Tesla - I was merely suggesting as a simple safeguard.
I've been using the USB audio system to play music for over a year now, all the time using drives loaded from my mac. Never had any issues that could remotely be attributed to hidden files. Now that you have your car, you can try it yourself and find out if there's any merit to taking any extra time to bother with those hidden files. Maybe it'll make you feel better about yourself if you delete them. You could also go around the edges of your CDs with a yellow highlighter to keep them from skipping. And store your unused flash drives with covers over the usb end to prevent data loss - etc, etc.

Reactions: tvad and NowIsGood
You didn't actually "prove me wrong", you proved that what I said was correct - that the mac didn't create the huge number of hidden files you claimed, instead it just creates a small number (2-3) of harmless hidden files, as I said. Reading comprehension is important - you have to read ALL the words a person types. Granted, it was a bit confusing in that thread at first, with 2 guys talking about strange experiences with decades old cars, and being totally off topic and everything.
Your reading comprehension is off. You challenged me to prove that the Mac created the hidden files beyond the small number of harmless files and I did. As a reminder:
No, it isn't. It's easy to prove to yourself that it isn't: Load up a usb drive with music files on a mac. Then look at that drive either with Path Finder, or with hidden files made visible in finder by using "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in the terminal. See all the hidden files? No, because there aren't any besides the .ds_Store one. Then take that drive over to a windows machine, and load it, check for hidden files - same thing, there aren't any.
So to show that the MAC created the extra files, I took a NEW flash drive, formatted it as Fat32 on my Mac, then copied FIVE files onto it. When I then took that drive and inserted into a PC, there were seven hidden files on the drive. It might have been hard to see from the screen shot, but the first seven files (whose names all start with a period) listed were all hidden (made visible on the PC by selecting "Show Hidden Files"). ".fseventsd" and ".Spotlight-V100" are both typical system files and then the five files that were hidden duplicates of the files I copied (the "._01 Art to Breathe (Album Version).m4a" file (third file down) is a hidden duplicate version of the "01 Art to Breathe (Album Version).m4a" file further down. Five intended files accompanied by five hidden files.

I totally admit that these hidden files may not cause an issue on the Tesla. But they did on my "decades old" 2013 Taurus, which ran on Blackberry QNX OS which is a UNIX-like system similar to the UNIX-like Linux OS that the Tesla runs on. Based on my proven experience in my Taurus, I felt deleting the hidden files was a simple safeguard before putting the drive in my Tesla.

Your reading comprehension is off. You challenged me to prove that the Mac created the hidden files beyond the small number of harmless files and I did. As a reminder:
So to show that the MAC created the extra files, I took a NEW flash drive, formatted it as Fat32 on my Mac, then copied FIVE files onto it. When I then took that drive and inserted into a PC, there were seven hidden files on the drive. It might have been hard to see from the screen shot, but the first seven files (whose names all start with a period) listed were all hidden (made visible on the PC by selecting "Show Hidden Files"). ".fseventsd" and ".Spotlight-V100" are both typical system files and then the five files that were hidden duplicates of the files I copied (the "._01 Art to Breathe (Album Version).m4a" file (third file down) is a hidden duplicate version of the "01 Art to Breathe (Album Version).m4a" file further down. Five intended files accompanied by five hidden files.

I totally admit that these hidden files may not cause an issue on the Tesla. But they did on my "decades old" 2013 Taurus, which ran on Blackberry QNX OS which is a UNIX-like system similar to the UNIX-like Linux OS that the Tesla runs on. Based on my proven experience in my Taurus, I felt deleting the hidden files was a simple safeguard before putting the drive in my Tesla.

Oh I see now. That's totally weird, as those kinds of hidden files don't get created with my macs when I do the same sort of test with a disk created on a mac. So, I just redid the test i did earlier, but with more steps, and indeed, I got the hidden files you got on the pc side. But what really is confusing me is that the extra files weren't there on the disk (actually an sd card in this case) when I checked for the hidden files originally on the mac - but when I put them in the pc, there they were. And when I put that disk back in the mac, and checked for the hidden files, they were still there. Which indicates that they are being created not by the mac, but by the pc somehow when the disk is inserted there. Hmmm, I'm going to have to do some more research on this when I have more time. I'll post some screen shots of what I'm seeing, it'll make more sense. I'm still confident that this has no bearing on the tesla usb audio system, as pragmatic results have indicated that it works fine.

Last edited:
Picked up the Samsung T5 and used the handy YouTube guide at the link below to format and partition on the Mac. Plugged it in and it was recognized by the Tesla Cam right away and it turned itself on but I noticed you can't actually leave the cam turned off more than a few seconds. You can turn it off at the screen, but after a few seconds it will turn itself back on again. Is this normal? Also, in addition to recording the Tesla cam footage and streaming audio from the SSD drive, can video be streamed as well? I tried transferring a video in .m4v format as a test but the file was not found. Perhaps video needs to be converted to .mp4 or other format?

SSD Mac Formatting guide

I also still need to purchase a USB C to Lightening connector in order to view the Tesla Cam footage from my iPhone. Unless anyone has another suggestion I'll probably just pick up this one from Apple.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MQGJ2A...or+iphone&qid=1570385353&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Or this

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-...or+iphone&qid=1570385353&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Last edited:
Picked up the Samsung T5 and used the handy YouTube guide at the link below to format and partition on the Mac. Plugged it in and it was recognized by the Tesla Cam right away and it turned itself on but I noticed you can't actually leave the cam turned off more than a few seconds. You can turn it off at the screen, but after a few seconds it will turn itself back on again. Is this normal? Also, in addition to recording the Tesla cam footage and streaming audio from the SSD drive, can video be streamed as well? I tried transferring a video in .m4v format as a test but the file was not found. Perhaps video needs to be converted to .mp4 or other format?
How are you turning off the dashcam? If you just press the dashcam icon, it saves the last 10 minutes to a Saved Clips folder; if you press and hold the icon it finishes and stops the current write operations so you can remove the drive, but in either case it still keeps recording.

And no, you can't play video files from the USB disk currently.

• Informative
Reactions: tbwnm
If it helps. I just got a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB the other day and formatted it to FAT on my MAC and its working fine. Even used it for a day and pulled it and viewed the Dashcam videos, and the Sentry videos (in the browser link a guy created on here) and they work fine.