Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They know (a search will yield hundreds if not thousands of posts about this over the time starting from when they first released sentry mode ) It's a major frustration for me b/c if I really need it (to record a damage event or an accident, or....) I can't count on it working.

I also have flawless service from Samsung fit plus. I use the 256gb version formatted into two drives for music and sentry. In addition to speed, pay attention to the maximum temperature ratings. Longevity drops significantly with high temperatures so pick one with high temperature ratings.... this is why I didn't go with ssd.
I've been using this one for months in my Model 3 without issue:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/
I use this (Samsung 256GB flash dive) and it seems to work well. It is compact, won't stick out to block much space. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is coming today. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_111052.jpg
    IMG_20191002_111052.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 101
This is the same one I have and had worked perfectly fine until the recent V10 update. Now I see the slow warning as well. Unplugging it and plugging back in seems to clear it for a while so I think it's a software issue.

Yes exactly same here - Maybe it is a software bug, just got another update downloaded, hope that fixes it.

This one really should do it - here are the stats (Samsung BAR Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 )
:
(1) Up to 300 MB/s for 256/128GB models; Up to 200 MB/s for 64/32GB models.

(2) Minimum of 10 secs for 256/128GB models; Minimum of 14 secs for 64/32GB models (tested with combination of Asus Z370-G, Intel [email protected], 8GB DDR4 and Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit).

(3) Up to 72 hrs in seawater

(4) Up to 1,500 gravitational acceleration.

(5) Withstands -25°C to 85°C operating, -40°C to 85°C non-operating

(6) Up to 15,000 gauss (equal to MRI).

(7) Up to 50 Roentgen (equal to airport X-ray machines).

Note: Samsung is not liable for any damages and/or loss of data or expenses incurred due to UFD data recovery.

Reactions: jroydog
I use this (Samsung 256GB flash dive) and it seems to work well. It is compact, won't stick out to block much space. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1 for this USB drive. I have the same one and been using it for the past 4 months since purchasing it. No issues with recording from both Sentry mode and Teslacam along with viewing footage when connected to my Macbook. I love the compact and low profile of the drive.

My wife and I each have an almost identical RWD LR and we each have one of these. Both on 2019.32.11. She gets the error and I don't. I tested her drive with a (slow/full) format. No errors. Write speed 50+ MB/s. Should be more than fast enough. No problems before 32.11. Has to be a software problem.

For those that are getting that "too slow message", are you getting it every time you get into your vehicle? I get that message too but only about 25% of the time I get into the vehicle. I find it really strange that it works sometimes but not others. I know some have mentioned temperature or something like that, but at least for me, under same conditions, I am still receiving that message sporadically. I was hoping V10 would fix it.

Confirmed the 256gb Samsung fit plus works fine on v10 all 4 channels look great with no speed frames. I used a cheap USB adapter to view on my phone. Seems like this may be the most popular one on this thread. Good temperature rating and small enough not to get in the way and not too small that it'll have heat buildup issues running long term. A bit more expensive but it's been working great for me since July.

Based on other threads here. It started about a couple months ago. The vast majority of USB drives out there are plenty fast enough and most were working fine before a prior update introduced this bug.

Also, I believe someone confirmed it with Tesla that it’s a software issue.
So it is anecdotal, and not a confirmed (short of the Tesla confirmation). Not being critical, just trying to ascertain.

In the few weeks I've been an owner and reading this and other forums, I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of clearly undefined standards; how much to charge (80% vs. 90% vs. ???), best storage solution for music and cams, etc. Lot's of opinions and everyone swears their's is the right one.

Which is pretty much like any chat board on any topic (those Disney folks can be a rather rabid bunch).

I also have flawless service from Samsung fit plus

I just got the Samsung Fit plus 256GB. I noticed that came preformatted with the format "exFAT", not FAT32. Will this drive with the exFAT format work with Sentry Mode? For those that have used the Samsung Fit plus, were you able to use it right out of the package or did you have to reformat it first?

Bought this on amazon for $25. Created TeslaCam folder. Got some videos recorded. Plugged into my iphone and was able to watch them immediately using a native app called NewFlash. Works like a charm.

USB Flash Drive for iPhone 128gb Memory Stick LTY Photo Stick USB 3.0 Jump Drive Thumb Drives Externa Lightning Memory Stick for iPhone iPad Android and Computers (red-128GB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W9GP4XV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LlNLDbHAKJ9KP

Based on other threads here. It started about a couple months ago. The vast majority of USB drives out there are plenty fast enough and most were working fine before a prior update introduced this bug.

Also, I believe someone confirmed it with Tesla that it’s a software issue.
I really think it's a software issue as well since the problems coincided with a recent update. I've used three different model drives in my M3, the last being the 128GB version of the Samsung Fit Plus and I never had any issues. That Samsung model is excellent with fast transfer speeds and it stays cooler than most of the other tiny USB drives I tried. I've had that and another Samsung model partitioned for music and TeslaCam and they worked great in the past. Until a couple of updates ago that is... then I started getting the "drive isn't fast enough" messages and TeslaCam would stop functioning.
The problem continued with the recent .11 release so I finally broke down and used an old SanDisk 32GB drive for TeslaCam plus a similar vintage Samsung 64GB drive for music thinking that would fix the problem. On my commute home today, the music kept pausing randomly and I would ultimately get a file transfer error. Both those drives worked fine in the past as well. I'm not sure what's up but I hope they fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: MrABRanch
I really think it's a software issue as well since the problems coincided with a recent update. I've used three different model drives in my M3, the last being the 128GB version of the Samsung Fit Plus and I never had any issues. That Samsung model is excellent with fast transfer speeds and it stays cooler than most of the other tiny USB drives I tried. I've had that and another Samsung model partitioned for music and TeslaCam and they worked great in the past. Until a couple of updates ago that is... then I started getting the "drive isn't fast enough" messages and TeslaCam would stop functioning.
The problem continued with the recent .11 release so I finally broke down and used an old SanDisk 32GB drive for TeslaCam plus a similar vintage Samsung 64GB drive for music thinking that would fix the problem. On my commute home today, the music kept pausing randomly and I would ultimately get a file transfer error. Both those drives worked fine in the past as well. I'm not sure what's up but I hope they fix it.
Please clarify, are you saying the Samsung Fit Plus is currently working after upgrading to V10?

Reactions: Tezzie