Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a thread dedicated to your question where the latest posts describe how to do it:
[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

The card may format a bit different than a stick though. Note given Tesla gives you a free stick with the car, you may also just use that for music (just get a USB-C to A adapter if you want to plug it outside, or get a hub if you want to leave it inside the glovebox)
Thank you kindly. The thread-described Windows method did not offer an option to add a 2nd partition to the microSD but I forced the creation of the 2 exFAT+FAT32 partitions via the MiniTool Partitioning software (despite its claims that Windows cannot use a 2nd partition on portable media) and, voila, I see two drives on my Windows screen now, both writable. Weird. Banzai!

After 10 trips to service center, finally the techs admitted the problem was with the computer, after replacing it all the issues with dashcam are resolved. They didn't want to replace is since they had to check all other smaller possible defects ( like the usb card, cable harness, etc.). It wasted lot of my time but finally it's resolved.

Reactions: Taxvictim
My new M3LRAWD comes with a 128GB drive already in the glove box. I'm assuming its a USB-C and should handle the write/read speeds required for the job. I am more concerned with Sentry and Dashcam modes. Should I consider a bigger capacity and if yes, can you recommend a brand/model? Thank you.

My new M3LRAWD comes with a 128GB drive already in the glove box. I'm assuming its a USB-C

It's not.

it's the same stick I've been using since 2018 in my car, and one Tesla recommends in the owners manual- a USB-A Samsung Fit Plus (with tesla branding I think)

and should handle the write/read speeds required for the job.

USB-A as an interface is still roughly 15-30x faster than needed for this job.

It's only writing at like 2MB/sec (though Tesla officially says it wants 4--- and USB-A can do up to 60 and most decent USB-A memory sticks can do at least 20-40)

I am more concerned with Sentry and Dashcam modes. Should I consider a bigger capacity and if yes, can you recommend a brand/model? Thank you.

Depends how much footage you feel like you need to keep without moving off the key.

1 hour of video is roughly 7.2 GB... meaning the stick will hold almost 18 hours of recordings. Only 1 hour is looped... sentry or manually saved clips are 10 minutes (so about 1.2GB)

So you can hold roughly 100 manual or sentry recordings plus the 1 hour recent clips, before the drive is full. USB does slow down when it's nearly full, so you'd probably want to clean the drive off when you get up in the 80ish clip range.

In my own personal experience it takes like 3-4 months of use to get anywhere near filling a 128GB stick using Sentry everywhere but home. But if you use it 24/7 in really busy areas you might fill it up much faster.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
It's not.

it's the same stick I've been using since 2018 in my car, and one Tesla recommends in the owners manual- a USB-A Samsung Fit Plus (with tesla branding I think)

USB-A as an interface is still roughly 15-30x faster than needed for this job.

It's only writing at like 2MB/sec (though Tesla officially says it wants 4--- and USB-A can do up to 60 and most decent USB-A memory sticks can do at least 20-40)

Depends how much footage you feel like you need to keep without moving off the key.

1 hour of video is roughly 7.2 GB... meaning the stick will hold almost 18 hours of recordings. Only 1 hour is looped... sentry or manually saved clips are 10 minutes (so about 1.2GB)

So you can hold roughly 100 manual or sentry recordings plus the 1 hour recent clips, before the drive is full. USB does slow down when it's nearly full, so you'd probably want to clean the drive off when you get up in the 80ish clip range.

In my own personal experience it takes like 3-4 months of use to get anywhere near filling a 128GB stick using Sentry everywhere but home. But if you use it 24/7 in really busy areas you might fill it up much faster.
Thank you @Knightshade

I had parked last night and came back to the car and saw some hand prints on my back window and was happy to know at least i had sentry recording to see who did it. I get in the car and it shows 4 sentry events, i click to see them and it's just one sec loop of one image and nothing else. I just believe the drive is either corrupted or just glitchy. I tried plugging in to my pc to see if it's an issue with the car but same thing. Tried formatting the drive to see if it will resolve it but would want a larger drive to record more and also not worry if it isn't writing fast enough.

Sandisk Mobilemate 3.0 SDDR-B531?
I’ve had such bad luck with the Sandisk MobileMate. Two have failed — one in Model S and now second one (that came with the high-endurance card bundle) failed after less than two months in the Model Y.

The memory card is still fine and readable/writable in a PC and the Model Y can format it fine when used with a different card adaptor, but the microSD is no longer accessible with the MobileMate in Tesla/PC/Mac.

I’ve had such bad luck with the Sandisk MobileMate. Two have failed — one in Model S and now second one (that came with the high-endurance card bundle) failed after less than two months in the Model Y.

The memory card is still fine and readable/writable in a PC and the Model Y can format it fine when used with a different card adaptor, but the microSD is no longer accessible with the MobileMate in Tesla/PC/Mac.
Yeah, I didn't buy that one after I heard of failures of that model. It could be it's too small and overheats, but it could also be that there are lots of counterfeits due to it being a popular model.

I've been using a samsung 128gb microdisc in an anker usb adapter for about 6 months with no problem. Got a disc full message. Deleted the files and message persisted. Formatted the drive FAT32 and replaced TeslaCam folder at root and got a us_134 USB drive has no file system message. Had formatted on mac so thought that was the problem. Reformatted on windows pc, added folder back - but same message. I've used multiple drives over the 3 years and seems like no matter what it's a crap shoot --- any thoughts? Really don't want to buy more stuff - it was working before.:mad:

I've been using a samsung 128gb microdisc in an anker usb adapter for about 6 months with no problem. Got a disc full message. Deleted the files and message persisted. Formatted the drive FAT32 and replaced TeslaCam folder at root and got a us_134 USB drive has no file system message. Had formatted on mac so thought that was the problem. Reformatted on windows pc, added folder back - but same message. I've used multiple drives over the 3 years and seems like no matter what it's a crap shoot --- any thoughts? Really don't want to buy more stuff - it was working before.:mad:
Have you tried just formatting it in the car? I thought the drives no longer fill up ever since a software update over a year ago that automatically overwrites old files…unless you’re on a very old version of software.

Have you tried formatting in exFAT? That is the default format that Tesla uses according to the manual page 71:

Can someone recommend a stable/reliable USB 3 microSD card reader for Sentry Mode? Last week my Sandisk MobieleMate stopped working (second failed one) and yesterday my spare USB 3 card reader also triggered the following onscreen error. At first I thought “center console” meant the existing front and rear USB-C ports but the message only went away after unplugging my Sentry Mode drive and plugging it back in. The Sandisk 256GB High-Endurance card is still good in a PC/Mac but this is the third failed USB 3 card reader. No issues though with my Sandisk 1 TB SSD for Sentry Mode. Is it heat buildup during operation that’s killing these microSD card readers (even though weather is in the 60s)?

CEF58E50-E23B-4242-ABC8-2AB80F2CDDDE.jpeg

Have you tried formatting in exFAT? That is the default format that Tesla uses according to the manual page 71:
yes that was the most recent attempt ... its formatted that way now ... tnx anyway. As an update, the last drive I bought for this same purpose before the microsd was a samsung bar plus 32 gig. Worked for a while, then same thing, after it was full or spontaneously don't recall, started getting error messages. Read up and some indicated cards were better than native drives. Bought current drive/adapter. Anyway, since I found it and needed to try something different, I formatted that drive recreated the root folder, plugged it in, and the stupid thing works. I'm honestly not sure there's any rhyme/reason to some of this ...

Can someone recommend a stable/reliable USB 3 microSD card reader for Sentry Mode? Last week my Sandisk MobieleMate stopped working (second failed one) and yesterday my spare USB 3 card reader also triggered the following onscreen error. At first I thought “center console” meant the existing front and rear USB-C ports but the message only went away after unplugging my Sentry Mode drive and plugging it back in. The Sandisk 256GB High-Endurance card is still good in a PC/Mac but this is the third failed USB 3 card reader. No issues though with my Sandisk 1 TB SSD for Sentry Mode. Is it heat buildup during operation that’s killing these microSD card readers (even though weather is in the 60s)?

View attachment 726129
Folks can recommend stuff, but in my experience I've been through at least 3 different drives and they work, then stop. No rhyme, reason (see other post). Can't imagine what the issue would be, but stable it ain't ... 🤷🏽‍♂️

My 2018 M3 started having usb issue after a software update ( I don't remember which one), since then I have had 3 mobile service guys to come to me and had 3 service center visit, still without a solution. The sentry logo is showing on my display but NOT the dashcam, my phone will also NOT charge, these are the solutions Tesla came with:
1- its the usb harness (replaced)
2- It's the rear usb harness (replaced)
3- It's your usb, if you buy the Tesla USB you will be OK ( purchased the 128 GB) I'm still having same problem
Today the mobile service guy told me new stuff, he says you shouldn't see the dashcam logo on the screen because Tesla doesn't want you to play around with it while driving, but when I come back to parked car and it shows
sentry mode event report" I want to know what happened, whats the green 'i' for? he says it's just to inform you some events happened.
Today on the way driving I honked to see if anything saves, i'm checking the Tesla USB now, nothing on there.
I am having nearly this same experience. My USB drives (camera, and separate music USB, as well as PS4 controller) all work intermittently.

I just had the front USB module and the USB wiring harness replaced, but the problem persists. I am just now going to try a different cable, and brand new USB drive hoping that will solve the issues.

I'm looking for a 128gb micro sd card as I'm sure I read somewhere they are used in dashcams so don't have issues with being rewritten constantly.

Screenshot_20211118-230613_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Or

Screenshot_20211118-225440_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Obviously the sandisk says it's for dashcams. But then shows the 3 in the little u which I believe is a slower read write speed to the samsubg.

Many thanks