Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: V 2019.40.1.1 170kW charging, Neural Net for Auto Wipers, Auto Lane Change quicker

Did you get 2019.40 or higher?

• Yes

Votes: 152 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 353 69.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely the worst wiper settings I've ever had on a car. I have to leave them off and just use the manual stalk in anything but a downpour. Else auto is scraping a too-dry window aggressively.

And the three manual settings don't compare to a standard 7-10 setting vehicle.

Small nits. But these frustrations build over time as some of the other 'coolness' factors wear off a bit over time.

'Definitely the worst wiper settings I've ever had on a car. I have to leave them off and just use the manual stalk in anything but a downpour. Else auto is scraping a too-dry window aggressively.'

Ditto here. They also stay on intermittent when it starts to pour down.

My wife's Golf works perfectly, surely Tesla can get this right. It's currently so very not right.

Yesterday it was raining (as usual here in Seattle) and the caution popped up that multiple cameras were blocked. If that happens when it rains, how is FSD (assuming FSD is camera dependent) ever going to become a thing here in Seattle in the winter?

Yesterday it was raining (as usual here in Seattle) and the caution popped up that multiple cameras were blocked. If that happens when it rains, how is FSD (assuming FSD is camera dependent) ever going to become a thing here in Seattle in the winter?

Had same happen to me yesterday in light/moderate rain.... it basically dropped the car from Nav on AP down to "regular" AP for a few miles, then it came back

I don't think there's any way to get better than L3 with the current sensor suite because of stuff like that (meaning you can not be paying active attention, but still need to be ready to START paying active attention if the car asks you to, so you can be reading a book, but not sleeping)

That said- I'd be perfectly happy with "just" L3, and if they could hurry up and get that going at least on highways that'd be great.

Reactions: Potpourri
LIDAR is technically an optical system as well, so it suffers from many of the same pitfalls: Rain on Lidar Sensors - What is the effect on Performance? | In the Scan

Yes but there are some key differences as well. lidar is an active optical sensor whereas cameras are a passive optical sensor. Lidar does not require ambient light like cameras do. So, lidar might share some of the same pitfalls but there are also conditions where lidar will work but where cameras will not work.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Who else is doing it better without a physical rain sensor?

The fact Tesla doesn't use one is why it needs a neural net. They're trying to do this entirely with vision.
And I get why Tesla is trying to do that. But it's not working out well. Even with the "deep rain" AI auto wiper, they are still a safety hazard. For those of you who live or drive through snowy slush, you will know that the time delay after getting your vision totally wiped out by a truck in the lane beside you splashing slush onto your front windshield thereby totally blotting your vision, and the time the auto wipers respond is 2-3 times longer than is required to have a serious accident. And leaving wipers on any preset speed just ensures that they wipe dirt streaks across you window in the same circumstance, which also impairs vision. The only solution is to manually initiate every wipe. This cannot be an acceptable performance standard in a car costing what Teslas cost. My previous Mazda 3 got auto wipers exactly right, so I know this can be done even in an economy car. Tesla really has no good excuse for being substandard here. Even at the cost of a physical rain sensor. It's a safety issue.

Reactions: Hank42