Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 06.30.48.png
I find that picture quite unsettling especially when your little avatar pulls the switch and his spooky red glow chimes in (little cross on the back wall adds to the atmosphere though).

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Nice! Bet you’re glad it worked after the retrofit.
Yeah. I was quietly confident it would work because it’s survived several days and a previous update without getting reverted, and in terms of the settings on the car it has exactly the same configuration as cars that came with the lights from the factory.

Nice to have it finally confirmed though. ☺️

Yeah. I was quietly confident it would work because it’s survived several days and a previous update without getting reverted, and in terms of the settings on the car it has exactly the same configuration as cars that came with the lights from the factory.

Nice to have it finally confirmed though. ☺️
Whats the criteria to be eligible for a successful retrofit - a certain revision of VCFRONT?

Nope. As far as I can tell any Model 3 is compatible.

The matrix lights are a straight swap in terms of electrical connection and mounting points, etc.

They require coding which won't be entertained by Tesla (not an official retrofit) and the relevant setting isn't available to be changed in the public "Toolbox 3" software that you can subscribe to for an hour, a day, a month, etc.

I had mine remotely coded by @Kate@Teslogic - which was a little bit tricky because of the time difference, but the actual process didn't take more than about 40 minutes including reinstalling my car's software, rebooting, etc. I had to buy a diagnostic cable to connect to my car, and they dialled into a laptop that I had connected to it and did the business.

I have been following this thread - New headlights retrofit - for a while, which prompted me to look into this. It had been done by a few people in the States already.

Got my update today and activated them before heading for home. Other than the full beams being on way more than before I found it impossible to tell if they were actually doing much.

Felt very subsconscious following a learner down the road with my blue full beam icon illuminated.

But, nobody flashed me coming the other way so I guess they were working as inteded?

Just had a quick 3 mile urban drive, and like you I felt very self conscious about main beam being on all the time, but I could clearly see it blanking out oncoming cars, and ones that were perpendicular to me at a junction. Didn’t get flashed once.

My dipped beam pattern seems different now too. Anyone else?

Just had a quick 3 mile urban drive, and like you I felt very self conscious about main beam being on all the time, but I could clearly see it blanking out oncoming cars, and ones that were perpendicular to me at a junction. Didn’t get flashed once.

My dipped beam pattern seems different now too. Anyone else?

my dipped beams look a bit different but very misaligned. adaptive long beams are a mess and while you saw the headlights blanking out oncoming traffic I saw the opposite, blanking out AROUND the cars and shining the lights directly onto the cars. WTF moment if you ask me...

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
my dipped beams look a bit different but very misaligned. adaptive long beams are a mess and while you saw the headlights blanking out oncoming traffic I saw the opposite, blanking out AROUND the cars and shining the lights directly onto the cars. WTF moment if you ask me...
Sounds like you need to align your headlights. It did a good job for me blocking out cars in front. I would add that I think the 'dipped' segments remain on whatever, it's the full beam segments that turn on an off. If your lights were very misaligned I guess those dipped bits could still be causing issues.

Reactions: NewbieT and Durzel
Sounds like you need to align your headlights. It did a good job for me blocking out cars in front. I would add that I think the 'dipped' segments remain on whatever, it's the full beam segments that turn on an off. If your lights were very misaligned I guess those dipped bits could still be causing issues.

no it was the adaptive light because the beams followed the car coming my way. it was very wild.. wish I had captured it. might check the dash cam recordings.