Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MY with non-matrix headlights and a 2022 M3 RWD with matrix headlights.

The matrix lights do the cool trick of protecting TESLA with the Christmas lights show. My MY headlights are excellent. The M3 headlights are a bit better, but excellent plus a bit is still excellent. Seriously, the non-matrix headlights on my MY are better than any stock headlights I've had, including a $1000 LED factory upgrade on my truck.

To be fair, the M3 doesn't have fog lights, yet is still a bit better than my MY with fog lights. If you don't get the matrix lights though, assuming the non-matrix headlights are the same as my 2020, rest assured that you'll still have outstanding lights.

Are you certain there were Austin builds with Matrix lights? That would be the first I've heard of it. Although I haven't been following the forum that closely the past couple weeks so maybe I missed that Austin started shipping Matrix.

Regardless a Fremont car will have them with 99.9% certainty.
Aren’t all 7 seaters still Fremont?

Really hoping for matrix. I truly wanted to get a MYP but wifey is adamant on the 7seater. My SA confirmed it’s HW4 which makes sense with the July ‘23 build date and VIN in the 835xxx, but he said it was non-matrix but also the car isn’t at his sales center so I dunno. If it doesn’t have matrix, I’ll probably deny the VIN and wait it out. I did get an over $3k price adjustment, but honestly I’d pay MSRP for getting one with the matrix, plus I wouldn’t mind ordering it with a hitch for my bikes!
if so, these will be matrix. Fremont switched over in like February

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
Tesla logic.

Put matrix headlamps on all produced cars.

Don't make the software needed to enable these in markets where it would be legal to do so.

Dear Tesla....Why are you like that sometimes :)
I guess I’m glass half full on this. They put better lights with even more upside that will most likely be unlocked, for free, in the future, even if you bought a car X amount of time earlier. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

• Disagree
I have a 2020 MY with non-matrix headlights and a 2022 M3 RWD with matrix headlights.

The matrix lights do the cool trick of protecting TESLA with the Christmas lights show. My MY headlights are excellent. The M3 headlights are a bit better, but excellent plus a bit is still excellent. Seriously, the non-matrix headlights on my MY are better than any stock headlights I've had, including a $1000 LED factory upgrade on my truck.

To be fair, the M3 doesn't have fog lights, yet is still a bit better than my MY with fog lights. If you don't get the matrix lights though, assuming the non-matrix headlights are the same as my 2020, rest assured that you'll still have outstanding lights.
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR rwd and even those lights are great (better than my Tacoma with OEM LEDs) and that was prior to Tesla improving them. However, I just like the matrix lights for external looks. I don’t care about the lightshow or even if/when Tesla adds actual matrix functionality. I know it’s very trivial, but I’ve always preferred the look of projectors over reflectors.

Reactions: MY-Y
I took my 7 seater delivery on June 27 and one of my friends took his a few months before , all have matrix. If you really want to confirm check in the reddit vin thread .
check again to see if the matrix headlights on a MYLR are supported in software.
at one time the matrix support was exclusively for MYP.
matrix were added to MYLR for supply / logistics reasons but software may not have been added / updated.

check again to see if the matrix headlights on a MYLR are supported in software.
at one time the matrix support was exclusively for MYP.
matrix were added to MYLR for supply / logistics reasons but software may not have been added / updated.
Of course it has the software or else they won’t work at all. It’s a simple value change in the gateway configuration to tell the car which headlights it has.

Checked with the Reddit thread and thankfully my VIN is listed as HW4 and Matrix. Worth it for the reassurance. Just signed my FSD Transfer Form and waiting on my trade in value for the Model 3. I’ll probably check with Carmax just to be sure I get the most value for it. It’s paid off but selling private party is a hassle.

Reactions: illusion
not true. incremental functions the matrix can do may or may not be supported on a MYLR as they are on MYP
it's software driven as well as hardware capable.
and, here's another thread questioning whether matrix is fully enabled as yet

not true. incremental functions the matrix can do may or may not be supported on a MYLR as they are on MYP
it's software driven as well as hardware capable.
No Tesla matrix headlight worldwide has true matrix function other than displaying “TESLA” during light show.

But in order to even work at all in the car, the car has to be programmed to tell it that it has matrix headlights which Tesla calls “global” headlights.

It allows them to adjust the cutoff beam pattern to suit each region with the same hardware.

I guess I’m glass half full on this. They put better lights with even more upside that will most likely be unlocked, for free, in the future, even if you bought a car X amount of time earlier. Pretty good deal in my opinion.
It seems like they have been putting matrix headlamps on cars since, atleast 2021, we are now nearing 2024, so i dont understand where the continued optimism comes from.

And to be honest, i am not even sure, they are going to do this as a free upgrade, i would not put it past them to make this a paid upgrade.

It seems like they have been putting matrix headlamps on cars since, atleast 2021,
Not on the Y and if you bought in 2023 doesn’t matter when they started and in the US they can’t legally unlock this. so for one of there biggest markets nobody is waiting on this from Tesla, we are waiting on the Gov.

we are now nearing 2024, so i dont understand where the continued optimism comes from.
A better light than the previous version overall plus the potential for more improvements that you didn’t have to pay extra for- why would there be anything but optimism? Haha

And to be honest, i am not even sure, they are going to do this as a free upgrade, i would not put it past them to make this a paid upgrade.
Which historically isn’t how they operate, so you can feel this way but statistics are against you

Not on the Y and if you bought in 2023 doesn’t matter when they started and in the US they can’t legally unlock this. so for one of there biggest markets nobody is waiting on this from Tesla, we are waiting on the Gov.
Yes i have a 2023 MY.

What does "The biggest market" have to do with anything, Tesla could use the european market to test and refine these lamps. They expect to enable these even for the US at some point, so why not just get the software out of the way, so that all that is needed is to flip a bit in the software for NA, when it is allowed.

Here, the FSD in cities is not approved, so we dont have it, but that does not mean, they dont enable it in US cars.

Yes i have a 2023 MY.

What does "The biggest market" have to do with anything, Tesla could use the european market to test and refine these lamps. They expect to enable these even for the US at some point, so why not just get the software out of the way, so that all that is needed is to flip a bit in the software for NA, when it is allowed.

Here, the FSD in cities is not approved, so we dont have it, but that does not mean, they dont enable it in US cars.
what sense are you making.
Tesla has the Matrix headlight software done, but cannot implement it in the US because of Regulatory issues.
it's that simple.
those wishing on a star to get matrix headlights in the US because they think they'll be fuily enabled on delivery.......no.

what sense are you making.
Tesla has the Matrix headlight software done, but cannot implement it in the US because of Regulatory issues.
it's that simple.
those wishing on a star to get matrix headlights in the US because they think they'll be fuily enabled on delivery.......no.
They do not have matrix headlight software “done” because they still don’t have the function in Europe where the feature is allowed.

People just want the matrix headlights because it’s the latest technology and design, regardless of whether the matrix capability is functional.

It’s like if you had the choice of an iPhone 14 Pro or and iPhone 13 Pro (or your choice of equivalent Android devices) for the same price, of course you want the newer one because it’s newer with better hardware, regardless if you can currently take advantage of the additional hardware capability or not, it still has more potential for increased functionality in the future.

They do not have matrix headlight software “done” because they still don’t have the function in Europe where the feature is allowed.

People just want the matrix headlights because it’s the latest technology and design, regardless of whether the matrix capability is functional.

It’s like if you had the choice of an iPhone 14 Pro or and iPhone 13 Pro (or your choice of equivalent Android devices) for the same price, of course you want the newer one because it’s newer with better hardware, regardless if you can currently take advantage of the additional hardware capability or not, it still has more potential for increased functionality in the future.
yep you're in Europe so you know.
meanwhile, they're in European cars and working per regulations.
while they may eventually be authorized for full function support in the US, there's no guarantee as to whether or when.
more wishful driven magical thinking.
please wait for the next gen CPU for that PC as well. you will forever find something to hold back any purchase.

Market size matters because Business 101
- companies have limited resources and must prioritize work
- Market size and type of value are major decision factors in what gets built and when
- So you’re not gonna build out functionality now for a small portion of your customer base who can use it + it’s not a core value driver
- as opposed to FSD, which Elon has stated is what they believe is the heart of their future business and a key competitive advantage that can’t be easily replicated

• Disagree
Market size matters because Business 101
- companies have limited resources and must prioritize work
- Market size and type of value are major decision factors in what gets built and when
- So you’re not gonna build out functionality now for a small portion of your customer base who can use it + it’s not a core value driver
- as opposed to FSD, which Elon has stated is what they believe is the heart of their future business and a key competitive advantage that can’t be easily replicated
I agree, but to be honest, Tesla does not seem to be having problems with ressources, they have had time to make a zombie game for the infotainment system, i would argue that if they have ressources for that, they should have ressources for important safety related stuff like matrix headlamps.

Making those work can actually save lives. For example if a moose or deer suddenly appear in then road, having matrix headlamps would mean the driver was able to spot it earlier and brake and steer to avoid it.

Also, how are they supposed to get an approval for the matrix headlamps if they havent made the software needed to make them function ?

I would also argue that a zombie game has an even smaller portion of costumers that will actually want it, compared to matrix headlamp functionality, but still....They opted to make the vampire game.