Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maxed out @ 80mph in 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm sure this is going to sound like a stupid question to most of you.. I am test driving the 60D all day today (however I have driven Model S's many times and am very familiar with the car and interface), and on the highway I can't drive faster than 80 mph. I have checked through all the settings and it doesn't appear to have any speed limit settings. Any suggestions or menu options I might be missing?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there an option that would allow me to limit the speed so If I leave the car with a friend, relative, etc. I can prevent them from taking a fast joyride?

You can't just limit the speed like the loaners are limited, but you can put the car in valet mode. From the manual:

Valet Mode
When Model S is in Valet Mode, the following restrictions apply:
• Speed is limited to 70 mph (113 km/h).
• Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
• Front trunk and glove box are locked.
• The navigation system does not display Places (this protects Home/Work locations).
• Voice commands are disabled.
• Cruise control is disabled.
• Most status bar functions are disabled.
• The Mobile Access setting is disabled.
• HomeLink and Driver Profiles are not accessible.
• Wifi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model S is in Valet Mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices.

Note: If a Bluetooth paired device or a known Wifi network is within operating range (approximately 30 feet or nine meters ) of Model S in Valet Mode, Model S will connect to it.

Starting Valet Mode
With Model S in Park, touch the driver profile icon, located to the left of the Tesla "T" on the touchscreen's status bar, then touch Valet
Mode.

The first time you start Valet Mode, you will be prompted to establish a 4-digit PIN that you will use to cancel Valet Mode.

When Valet mode is active, the instrument panel displays the word Valet above the driving speed and the Valet Mode driver profile displays on the touchscreen's status bar.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
All loaners and demo cars are supposed to be speed limited. But sometimes the staff forgets to do it. I'm pretty sure that there is a disclosure in the paperwork that you sign to get a car but of course nobody reads it all. So yes, they should tell you verbally but sometimes they forget that too.