TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Maxed out @ 80mph in 60D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by CTgigawatt, Nov 11, 2016.

1. CTgigawatt

CTgigawatt 2017 Model S 60D

Hi all,

I'm sure this is going to sound like a stupid question to most of you.. I am test driving the 60D all day today (however I have driven Model S's many times and am very familiar with the car and interface), and on the highway I can't drive faster than 80 mph. I have checked through all the settings and it doesn't appear to have any speed limit settings. Any suggestions or menu options I might be missing?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Thomas Allen

Thomas Allen Member

Tesla loaners are software limited to 80mph

• Informative x 2
  3. CTgigawatt

CTgigawatt 2017 Model S 60D

Ah, that would explain it then, wouldn't it...
    Thanks!

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am surprised and a bit disappointed that the Tesla showroom that loaned you the car didn't mention that it would be speed limited.

5. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Is there an option that would allow me to limit the speed so If I leave the car with a friend, relative, etc. I can prevent them from taking a fast joyride?

6. Boourns

Boourns Member

You can't just limit the speed like the loaners are limited, but you can put the car in valet mode. From the manual:

• Like x 1
  7. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Valet mode..

• Like x 2
  8. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Not all loaners are limited though. In my experience the limit is only for cars that haven't previously been sold. I do think it's dangerous not to notify us though. I've been surprised when I pull out to pass on the freeway and it suddenly won't accelerate.

9. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

The P85 loaner I had a few ago wasn't limited but it was also for sale as a CPO. So I think chipmunk is correct that perhaps only new inventory loaners are limited.

10. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

All loaners and demo cars are supposed to be speed limited. But sometimes the staff forgets to do it. I'm pretty sure that there is a disclosure in the paperwork that you sign to get a car but of course nobody reads it all. So yes, they should tell you verbally but sometimes they forget that too.

11. ev-now

ev-now Member

Off-topic, but has there ever been talk of configurable Valet mode? 70mph is way fast for a valet who doesn't have to take the car offsite!

12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

The Jeep Compass I got as a loaner was limited to a lot less than 80 mph. What a dog! ;)