TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maybe It's Me, but Too Many Snarky Posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by lencap, Apr 21, 2019.

1. lencap

lencap Member

Greetings -

I don't mean to start a war, nor to troll, but I've been surprised by the tone in many posts. I get that there are strong feelings and opinions, and many technical discussions/perspectives, but the level of Snarky replies is tiring. Yes, I'm an "old guy", and fondly remember when "civil discourse" was just that, not armed combat. I'm not asking anyone to adjust to my norm, but I'm just asking everyone to consider replying with what used to be called common courtesy. If someone makes a comment, and there is disagreement, it is necessary to have a Snarky reply as the default response?

There are lots of very helpful posts on this forum, lots of great information, and lots of knowledge. I relied on all of that when making my decision to buy a Tesla, and this forum is unique for providing that. Without this site I'd have made some poor choices about which model to buy and what options to include. Thanks to everyone for the collective wisdom.

At the same time, I notice that even minor mistakes are subject to immediate bashing, often resulting in nasty replies, which evolve into battles and competing posts. It becomes an Alpha Male contest, one that I'm not interested in joining or supporting in any way. I'm a member of many different forums - across a wide range of topics. There is definitely a lot of disagreement in many of these forums, but unfortunately this Forum seems to be the biggest source of Snark among the many I frequent.

OK, rant over. I am hoping for "gentle" replies, but if not, so be it. It won't make me stop returning to the site, but it will make me visit less often. Life's too short to be bombarded constantly. And I, for one, choose not to participate. Like I said, "Maybe it's me, but..."

• Like x 24
    • Love x 5
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. bedoig

bedoig Member

There are a handful of posters that are prolific and argumentative. It's a lot more pleasant around here if you just block them and move on. My $0.02.

• Like x 13
    • Disagree x 2
  3. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

As you said, it is a mixt, just ignore (use the ignore button) the not so nice ones ! :)

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Agreed but to be honest with you its like that in most forums these days. There just a level of disregard of others feelings these days that to me is sad. We can talk about politics or not these days, but today for example, its easter and there were people with signs with religious sayings and everything. This guy in a nissan covertible flips them off and drives away. DRIVES AWAY. Why can he say it in front of the people with the signs.

Similarly the snarkiness and disregard of others feelings in this forum and many ours... people would not have B*lls to do this in a persons face.

I'm not old, though I am not young either. I'm in my 30s.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. focher

focher Member

It appears to be conflated by the anonymity of sitting behind a keyboard. I’ll admit to having done it, only later realizing I shouldn’t type an answer I wouldn’t be willing to say verbally to someone in person.

While some are addicted to being hostile online, sometimes calling a person on it results in a surprisingly contrite apology.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 2
  6. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

There can be good-natured snark, and there can be malicious snark. Love the former.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

I've always loved the word 'snarky'!!
    ...but I would like to say in my most non-snarky way, the number of nice, informative and funny posts far outweigh the snarky ones!

Congrats on your 3 and it's nice to know there's another one in NC!!

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

I learned really quick after joining here about a number of folks like this.... ignored them and it's pretty much gone away

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  9. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Lol.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. BillyDale

BillyDale Member

Where is the ignore button? What does it do? Does it filter out those posters from your view? Sorry if this is a silly question.

• Disagree x 2
  11. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

No it is not a silly question. If you click onthe member icone, it opens a window and you can click on ignore, it will basically hide the post of the member, as far as I know...

• Disagree x 2
  12. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

Wow. I had no idea either! Thanks!

• Disagree x 2
  13. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

I find out about this yesterday :)

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. bedoig

bedoig Member

It occasionally results in really long, weird threads where everyone seems to be agreeing with each other because you don't see the one other person posting 1k word arguments after EVERY, SINGLE post, lol. I can only imagine people spending like 8 hours a day on here must not have much else going on.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Vines

Vines Member

I had the same issue with this forum but after a couple on the ignore list my experience is much better overall.

It does get a bit weird when someone quotes them in a reply, otherwise pretty perfect experience. There are a lot of really smart people here, and some of them really like to be right. I have this tendency myself but try to keep it in check, I sometimes succeed.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil it for you.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

There are a few here that are a bit harsher than is necessary. I usually just ignore them. No, I do not mean I use the ignore button. I’ll just get the gist of their post in the first few sentences. If I find them to be too mean, angry, maliciously snarky, etc then I just move on to the next post in the thread or to a new thread entirely. There are times when such individuals do contribute useful posts and I don’t want to miss that. Other times they could post something completely ridiculous and I can’t help but laugh.

What I think is more important is that everyone here tries to be as constructive and helpful as possible. That’s been my goal and I like to think I am one of the many people here that helps make TMC a great forum.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  17. pscarroll

pscarroll Member

I figure I'm ignored by others, don't really care, just a Tesla Model 3 Performance owner willing to chat about my experiences and to seek other people's perspectives and information.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 What range anxiety?

On the road, there are Road Rages.
    On the forums, there are "Forum Rages".

I coin the term "Forum Rage". 4/21/2019 Leafdriver333

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. pscarroll

pscarroll Member

LOL, just what I'd expect from people on this forum, someone disagreeing with my post. Priceless.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Are you trying to demonstrate forum rage by marking disagree with every post in this thread regardless of its content?

If so its a very successful demonstration, and I learned today.

• Like x 4