Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it makes any difference, but with the screen off and AC running and eventually not running, Tesla and I were still able to monitor the car. On my app, I was pretty much able to do most functions except turn AC off and adjust the temperature. With trying to turn off and on AC, app would have a small pop up that said "Failure to adjust or failure to change". The main odometer had stopped working, but the Trip A/B was still working.
With my very limited understanding of electronics, when something "shorts", nothing functions anymore.
The call with Tesla also mentioned that with my bank screen, he is still able to see the car. It seemed like he found it odd that with a hard reset, AC was able to stay on.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but with the screen off and AC running and eventually not running, Tesla and I were still able to monitor the car. On my app, I was pretty much able to do most functions except turn AC off and adjust the temperature. With trying to turn off and on AC, app would have a small pop up that said "Failure to adjust or failure to change". The main odometer had stopped working, but the Trip A/B was still working.
With my very limited understanding of electronics, when something "shorts", nothing functions anymore.
The call with Tesla also mentioned that with my bank screen, he is still able to see the car. It seemed like he found it odd that with a hard reset, AC was able to stay on.

This failure mode is not consistent with eMMC failure. When the eMMC fails the unit fails to boot as it cannot load the firmware and all connectivity to Teslas servers is lost.

This failure mode is not consistent with eMMC failure. When the eMMC fails the unit fails to boot as it cannot load the firmware and all connectivity to Teslas servers is lost.
Depends on whats corrupted, I've had wonky behavior, such as A/C running during a reboot, sound cutting out randomly (blinkers etc), unable to charge but MCU still on. The flash memory is "going bad" but only certain sectors are critical to function. YMMV though I guess.

I have been lucky so far but now you can add me to the list of failed MCU. I have been watching the bubbles grow thinking that would be the limiting factor. Guess not. The unit had required more frequent reboots lately but it has never been that stable since it was new. Last Friday it never returned after a reboot. I think I can live without Bluetooth, backup camera, and nav but it is getting cold, brrr. All said I can't complain. It has been nearly 100k since I took the car in for it's last servicing and that was at 97k when the power steering failed.

By way of reference, my wife's car - one of the very first (Signature) cars in the UK - is now having its third MCU. Fortunately the car is still within the 4-year warranty period (we've owned it, from new, for three-and-a-half years).

We starting noticing that the MCU would endlessly reboot - this only happened in areas of poor connectivity, but unfortunatel this happens to be the case where we live. We were unable to control important vehicle functions such as foglights (vital at this time of year on rural English roads) not to mention heating and navigation. This was deemed a "roadside incident" and the car was recovered - embarrassingly - via a tow truck. No loan cars were available, so my wife was lumped with a diesel rental car (so much for Elon's "top spec" Tesla loaner promise).

So far the car's been stuck at the Milton Keynes service centre for over 2 weeks. Communication is non existent - I have to call them at regular intervals, but only get vague responses. I've been tracking the car using the app, but we are NOT impressed by the lack of urgency and failure to communicate with us. Pretty poor show all round.

• Informative
Reactions: xborg
I have been lucky so far but now you can add me to the list of failed MCU. I have been watching the bubbles grow thinking that would be the limiting factor. Guess not. The unit had required more frequent reboots lately but it has never been that stable since it was new. Last Friday it never returned after a reboot. I think I can live without Bluetooth, backup camera, and nav but it is getting cold, brrr. All said I can't complain. It has been nearly 100k since I took the car in for it's last servicing and that was at 97k when the power steering failed.

Are you saying that you are at 197k?

Is the consensus that the reboot loop is caused by eMMC wearing due to high rewrites from logging?

I see @Ingineer advertises a way to turn off logging. Is that available without voiding the warranty or serviceability of my car (it's under factory warranty for 3 more years)?

Any other ramifications of turning off this excessive logging?

Dunno how it is in the States, but over here in Vice City, "proof" does not mean much more than "more probable than not". So, like, if I were to root my car (and Tesla knew it), and I got a warranty issue: Tesla could thow technical mumbo-jumbo at you and the poor judge doesn't have a clue what hit him. What I'm saying is, please don't think that Tesla - even though they have to "prove" that your rooting caused/contributed to your issue - "proving" something doesn't mean proving it "beyond reasonable doubt" or such. You're going to have to pay an expert to "prove" your side of the story. On Prawn Island, at least

Reactions: sorka
Dunno how it is in the States, but over here in Vice City, "proof" does not mean much more than "more probable than not". So, like, if I were to root my car (and Tesla knew it), and I got a warranty issue: Tesla could thow technical mumbo-jumbo at you and the poor judge doesn't have a clue what hit him. What I'm saying is, please don't think that Tesla - even though they have to "prove" that your rooting caused/contributed to your issue - "proving" something doesn't mean proving it "beyond reasonable doubt" or such. You're going to have to pay an expert to "prove" your side of the story. On Prawn Island, at least

Tis true I suspect, unfortunate but true....