Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. It seems i hit this problem too with my S75D with MCU1 HW2.0.

About 14 month ago the eMMC recall was done and the Tegra board was replaced. It seems to be a repaired one with the 64GB chip. Done by tesla SC.
After it got 2021.24.28 it began to download the maps update EU-2021.8-12875. The download stopped at about 20% and did not move withhin many days. MCU reset did not solve too. First problems with showing map tiles began in the time the map was downloading. After about two weeks the map download was still at same place and the speed was 0 B/s got blach screen for the first time. It took some tries and about half an hour the screen to come back.
Few days later the same happened a second time.

After this a friend recommended to do a redeploay from service mode. This was sucessfull, after the redeploy the map began to download again. We let it download, it tool almost 24 hours to download and install the map (wifi and internet speed was not limited and >100Mbit availible). The MCU worked fine and i did few drives that day without any issues.

Next day started with a black screen on MCU, after reset by roll buttons it came up and hanged after a minute or two.

Removed the MCU and send into service to check all possible things.
Both eMMC chips, filesystems and NOR chip are in good condition. Done backups. One filesystem corruption was repaired. The MCU still remains black screen.

Will reinstall the MCU tomorrow and bring the car to Tesla SC for repair.

There is no microSD card in the slot.

Any ideas?
MCU have other Emmc chip for map, simple insert micro SD card and switch map from Emmc to external microSD card. For this use toolbox or Linux she'll command

My MCU1 on my 2016 MX has been degrading for the last few months. Got to the point where I got a MCU_w007 Navigation Unavailable alert. The MCU1 would sporadically reboot. Cellular modem was unreliable and voice commands rarely worked. The SC tells me that the 16GB microSD card needs to be replaced for $282.60 (mostly labor). In lieu of paying for that repair, I think I'll go for the MCU2 upgrade. Should be $1500 and a two week wait for parts, but waiting for them to confirm. I suspect the actual wait for parts may be longer.

Last edited:
My MCU1 on my 2016 MX has been degrading for the last few months. Got to the point where I got a MCU_w007 Navigation Unavailable alert. The MCU1 would sporadically reboot. Cellular modem was unreliable and voice commands rarely worked. The SC tells me that the 16GB microSD card needs to be replaced for $282.60 (mostly labor). In lieu of paying for that repair, I think I'll go for the MCU2 upgrade. Should be $1500 and a two week wait for parts, but waiting for them to confirm. I suspect the actual wait for parts may be longer.
the card is quite simple to replace yourself. You just need the map image, certainly someone here has it for us maps.

…In lieu of paying for that repair, I think I'll go for the MCU2 upgrade…
Something like that will get me to upgrade. I had an FPGA problem outside of warranty but before the latest price drop. If that happened again I’d move to MCU2. Lately my ICU1 boots progressively slower. That will probably do me in. No way I’ll be the last holdout on this thread since I have over 100k miles. Equally unlikely that someone figures out an MCU3/MCUZ vertical screen retrofit before something else breaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kfmfe04
the card is quite simple to replace yourself. You just need the map image, certainly someone here has it for us maps.
As a software engineer who uses Linux every day, I could probably handle the technical aspects with the help from this board. Formatting and flashing a SDCard isn't a big deal as long as the partition sizes are sufficient and we buy from a reputable firm.

However, the hardware/install aspects of removing the MCU1 to get at the SD card looks a bit nasty to me. I think if I were sure that the fix would resolve all my issues, I'd probably go for it. OTOH, if the fix fails or if other hardware fails, I don't want fixing this to become a time-sink over time. Or in a worst case scenario, a driving risk.

I mean I've even had degradation of AP to stay-in-lane on highways. The problem is extra pronounced when I attempt to use AP on local roads. It used to work 90% ok on local roads, but recently, I don't feel safe using it off the highway at all, and I have to be extra diligent on highways.

I thought it was due to a bad software update, but in fact, it could be due to the same issue (or some other MCU1 degradation issue), as the computational hardware for AP is bound up with the MCU, iiuc. I don't know if it's psychological or for real, but there are YT reports of AP behaving better/more reliably after the upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, due to improved computational power. I mean replacing their original FPGA with their own "Tesla Silicon" has got to help with throughput, so it actually makes sense to me.

The local SC has rescheduled me out 2 weeks as we wait for MCU2 parts.

Last edited:
However, the hardware/install aspects of removing the MCU1 to get at the SD card looks a bit nasty to me.

You don't need to remove whole MCU. Just remove the trim piece above the glovebox and cut one air duct slightly with pliers.

You can watch some video where they remove the MCU, but you can skip all steps happening on the left side of MCU..

I'm seeing weird MCU1 behavior:
1 - Touch screen becomes completely unresponsive. Map moves as I drive, but the touch sensor is unresponsive (I can't change radio stations, open settings menu, etc). Eventually the MCU spontaneously reboots and it is fine after that (it does seem to take a while to draw the map, though)
2 - SiriusXM occasionally keeps playing after getting out of the car and closing the door. Both screens shut down, but music keeps playing. This hasn't seemed to happen with other audio sources.

This is happening frequently; twice in the last three days. Is this a sign of failing SD card? Or something else? I'm not having much luck searching for this specific behavior. I had my Tegra board replaced ~1.5 years ago.

Hey guys,

As a lot of people are looking and asking for a working map. I share the one that LuckyLuke sent me.
It's his job. So I even not sure that I can share it.

That will avoid him some work. (I don't know if he still answer people about this issue.)
So please leave this link here don't spread it.

And thanks him LuckyLuke for the job.

Thanks to LuckyLuke and Telectroboy2 for sharing the image, my navigation work again :D .
DD command on the pi to clone the image to the sd card (sandisk 32gb) put it in the mcu, plug the fuse back in started and works.
Thank you very much guys.

Thanks to LuckyLuke and Telectroboy2 for sharing the image, my navigation work again :D .
DD command on the pi to clone the image to the sd card (sandisk 32gb) put it in the mcu, plug the fuse back in started and works.
Thank you very much guys.
So, ive DLed the bin image from link here, bought 32gb SD card, flashed bin into it using BalenaEtcher, inserted it and seems like it works like a charm again. Problem is maps from this file are from 2019 and i though once i plug the card in, it will upgrade itself to the newest version, but seems like DL dont even start, its just stuck on 0b/s. Anyone else here had the same ?

I had the MicroSD fail on my 2013 P85+. Old maps (2020) still worked but it was unable to update to 2021 maps.

I got a new 32 GB MicroSD and partitioned with LuckyLuke's script. After installing the new card in the MCU it started downloading. Once the progress bar showed 100% I got a message "congratulations, you're running the latest maps". However, navigation doesn't work. When I try navigation it says I need to update maps.

I checked the software page in settings and it still said I'm using 2020 maps and 2021 are available. Progress bar at 100%, download speed 0 KB/s. I left it like that for a while but no change. I then did a scroll-wheel reboot and it started downloading the 2021 maps again. That's where I'm at right now.

Any tips?

Took an hour but ddrescue managed to read both partitions 100%. I'll image them to the new MicroSD tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I got cocky when it started downloading the maps and put everything back together so now I get to take it apart again.

Working! Turns out I had to leave the car over night and this morning nav works again and it shows I'm using 2021 maps.

So to summarize what I did:

Symptoms: Nav worked using 2020 maps. It showed 2021 maps available for update but they failed to download. Progress bar never moved even after leaving it for days.
  • Bought Sandisk 32GB "Ultra" MicroSD.
  • Used LuckyLukes script to partition/format.
  • Installed new MicroSD in MCU.
  • Rebooted MCU

MCU software screen still said 2020 maps used, 2021 available but now it actually downloaded 2021 maps. At this point nav didn't work. I expected this as the new MicroSD was empty.

Once it finished downloading it seemed to freeze in the following state: Current maps 2020. 2021 maps available. Download progress bar 100%. Current download speed 0 KB/s. When trying to use nav it failed with "need to update maps".

I had to leave the car alone overnight for it to finish setting up the new MicroSD. The next morning it had sorted itself out. It now shows current maps 2021 and no update available. And of course nav now works.