Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you will see a resale _bump_ from upgraded MCU2. I doubt the average buyer has any idea or care much about how fast the MCU is working. They just see a big screen and are happy. There might be some buyers on forums like this that would pay a little extra but they also know it's "just a $2500" choice for any car. I hope I'm wrong since I'm upgrading my system :)

Believe it's 2019.36.x firmwares. Reduced logging on it's own is unlikely to prevent failures on its own... a big part of the equation is heat build-up inside the MCU, it typically runs 20C to 30C hotter than the outdoor temperature, temperatures can be over 80C in summer time... This is part of the reason why the 3 moved to liquid cooling the MCU. I'm not sure if the heat is better on the MCUv2 or if the emmc used is more tolerant to high heat, only time will tell.

If you're happy with your MCUv1, keep it, and if you can keep it out of direct sunlight when parked (i.e. shaded or in garage or underground parking)... Running the A/C cools the MCU as well, so it's less of a worry when driving in summer. Save your money, replace it when it dies. :D

Deftdawg and Viper, appreciate the insight. My current MCU is fine, I live in Portland, OR where temperatures are usually milder (and always have the AC on). I think it’s prudent to wait for the darn thing to fail, especially since I’m under warranty still.

What irks me is this cash grab Tesla is doing. They obviously do not like developing a second software set to work with MCU1’s, and would like as many people to upgrade to MCU2’s as possible. They’re dangling this carrot of “get your HW3 faster” which is complete BS. The moment there are FSD features delivered to HW3 (outside of visualizations) and I don’t have it...Tesla will be hearing from “us” MCU1’s haha.

[QUOTE="GoBeavs, post: 4552348, member: 72671]

The moment there are FSD features delivered to HW3 (outside of visualizations) and I don’t have it...Tesla will be hearing from “us” MCU1’s haha.[/QUOTE]

I doubt this will happen.

I doubt this will happen.
Doubt what will happen? MCU1s will get left behind or that people will speak up when they get left behind. I think both will happen.
I've thought about this a lot and I think (my opinion only) Tesla is hoping many will upgrade for $2500 now, $1500 six months from now, and then MAYBE they'll bite the bullet and put it in. Especially given that they'll be seeing a lot more eMMC failures in the near future.

They keep saying they can make Real FSD work with hardware that's physically 2-4 years old, with technology that's several generations old when Moore's Law is applied.

Doubt what will happen? MCU1s will get left behind or that people will speak up when they get left behind. I think both will happen.
I've thought about this a lot and I think (my opinion only) Tesla is hoping many will upgrade for $2500 now, $1500 six months from now, and then MAYBE they'll bite the bullet and put it in. Especially given that they'll be seeing a lot more eMMC failures in the near future.

They keep saying they can make Real FSD work with hardware that's physically 2-4 years old, with technology that's several generations old when Moore's Law is applied.

I don’t believe that the MCU and display upgrade is absolutely required for FSD. But I don’t know for sure. The autopilot HW3 swappable hardware is what’s important. And they made that known early on.

Even if the AP3/FSD Computer turns out to not be enough, they will just put the AP4 computer in. It still won't require upgrading the MCU since the MCU isn't involved in the driving of the car.

What irks me is this cash grab Tesla is doing. They obviously do not like developing a second software set to work with MCU1’s, and would like as many people to upgrade to MCU2’s as possible.

I disagree. The cost of upgrading all vehicles with MCU1 to MCU2 would be enormous. Maintaining MCU1 software I'm sure is much less expensive, especially since many of the new features are MCU2 only. And until all vehicles are upgraded to MCU2 they still need to maintain MCU1 software.

Based on reports in this thread, people upgrading to MCU2 are also getting new screens. My guess is Tesla is actually losing money on these upgrades, especially factoring in the amount of engineering time that went into planning and testing the upgrades. I suspect the only reason they are offering it is because Elon promised it in a tweet many months ago, so they are doing it in good faith. But I also suspect Elon wishes he never sent that tweet. The service centers are struggling keeping up with regular service requests, they certainly don't need the extra burden of upgrading working MCU1 units to MCU2.

Reactions: MIT_S60
The service centers are struggling keeping up with regular service requests, they certainly don't need the extra burden of upgrading working MCU1 units to MCU2.

Please don't generalized the Infotainment upgrade. (1) Some service centers are struggling, and others are NOT. I had my Infotainment upgrade done in a timely manner, and my SC in Dublin, CA is NOT struggling.. (2) Doing the upgrade is NOT burdensome. They are actually doing it pretty quickly and the process is well defined.

Don't generalize the situation because that leads to FUD, and you don't want to be promoting FUD. Rather, just point to posting by individual like myself who have had the Infotainment upgraded completed without issue, without delay...

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Don't generalize the situation because that leads to FUD, and you don't want to be promoting FUD.

Do a search on this forum and you will find many people are having problems getting timely service currently. I'm going off my own experience. It took over a week for mobile service to come to my house and determine they couldn't fix my vehicle. Scheduling an appointment at a service center would have been another 1.5 weeks. Ultimately I had it towed to the service center and it took 2 weeks to get the MCU1 replaced. Perhaps I should have qualified "many" service centers are struggling, but I believe my point is still completely valid.

Last edited:
Do a search on this forum and you will find many people are having problems getting timely service currently. I'm going off my own experience. It took over a week for mobile service to come to my house and determine they couldn't fix my vehicle. Scheduling an appointment at a service center would have been another 1.5 weeks. Ultimately I had it towed to the service center and it took 2 weeks to get the MCU1 replaced. Perhaps I should have qualified "many" service centers are struggling, but I believe my point is still completely valid.

I guess it really depends on your local I guess and if you feel like you deserve an appointment right away.

Just dropped my 17 MS100 off for the upgrade. No issues with scheduling (no invitation). Getting the MCU2 and HW3 upgrade done. $2500 + tax as previously stated.

@jim5359 - this is a customer paid job. I am sure tesla is happy to collect some money instead of warranty only work. If they are too busy the scheduled date would be reflective. Every service department prefers to be busy and not idle.

Has anyone had MCU1, with < AP2.5, replaced with MCU2?

My MS is currently in the shop for a dead MCU1. The local SvC says the infotainment upgrade can only be done with cars having AP2.5 or above. I don't believe this is true. Can anyone confirm that it's possible with a 2015 (MCU1 EAP) car? If so, can you provide me with a VIN of your car ( feel free to PM me if you prefer not to post it. I need the VIN so the service mgr can check into it)? The service manager is willing to look deeper into this if I can provide info. Thanks. I'd prefer not to get another MCU1.

Reactions: Missile Toad

My MS is currently in the shop for a dead MCU1. The local SvC says the infotainment upgrade can only be done with cars having AP2.5 or above. I don't believe this is true. Can anyone confirm that it's possible with a 2015 (MCU1 EAP) car? If so, can you provide me with a VIN of your car ( feel free to PM me if you prefer not to post it. I need the VIN so the service mgr can check into it)? The service manager is willing to look deeper into this if I can provide info. Thanks. I'd prefer not to get another MCU1.

i think they are actually only doing 2.5 cars at this stage.

Reactions: MP3Mike

Why do you think it can currently be done for you? (Everybody that has asked has been told no.)

The upgrade page specifically says late March for AP2.0 cars, and that is subject to change of course. Pre AP2.0 is listed as coming soon, so who knows when it will be available for them.

This is the link that we all received. When they mention April, it will most likely be end of April due to many factors including Corona Virus.

URL = Infotainment Upgrade

I don't think you will see a resale _bump_ from upgraded MCU2. I doubt the average buyer has any idea or care much about how fast the MCU is working. They just see a big screen and are happy. There might be some buyers on forums like this that would pay a little extra but they also know it's "just a $2500" choice for any car. I hope I'm wrong since I'm upgrading my system :)
When you sell the car, explain what it is and why you did it, and note the improvement. Especially point out that it means the buyer won't need to spring for $1,800 to replace the eMMC chip on MCU1.

Because I'm not looking for an elective upgrade. My MCU1 died from the emmc flaw and I thought I read of someone getting an MCU2 instead of a refurbed MCU1. Cetainly possible I was mistaken.

You may be remembering the person that said that they got an MCU2, but they actually got a MCU1. The SC told him that they installed a newer MCU, but they replaced his MCU0 with a MCU1. (Some people also refer to them as MCU1 and MCU1.5.)

Other people that have has a MCU1 fail under warranty recently have been told that Tesla will not even give them credit towards the MCU2 upgrade...