Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be only software, but the equalizer on MCU2's is a little bit different. For example, the dolby checkbox is gone and has been replaced with 3 buttons for 'Immerse sound'. I didn't notice the sound being any different regardless of that setting.

But anyway, since the interface has changed somewhat (different options), chances are some hardware is different as well
Can anyone confirm whether there were any updates made for the Audio components / wiring on the MCU2?
If someone can get their hands on the new MCU2 wiring diagram, that would be much appreciated.

On another note, I read that it may be possible to buy access time to wiring diagrams and such through Tesla at $100 a day? Does anyone know if it would have the updated MCU2 info? I may just pay for access, but wouldn’t want to pay then realize that it was all for nothing

Thank you!

Audio components on new MCU and all related setting referenced to harman in firmware, I guess it's because sn1 was acquired by Harman Kardon, I'm not sure if actual hardware is different but quite possible

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Couple of new connectors on MCU2. One new ethernet connection facing passenger side. One new radio tuner connector on the back side.

nju.jpg

nju2.jpg

I had my screen replaced earlier this week by a mobile tech. During our conversation I asked what happens when the memory chip in the MCU dies, and he said they replace the whole unit. He further said that they don't have the old MCU units anymore so they install the new unit with an adapter harness that mates to the existing harness in the car, as the new MCU is missing one connector that is found on the original MCU.

My car is a 2013. Thinking about it after he left, I'm not sure if he meant the new MCU is the new MCU2 or if he was possibly referring to a revised MCU1.

I had my screen replaced earlier this week by a mobile tech. During our conversation I asked what happens when the memory chip in the MCU dies, and he said they replace the whole unit. He further said that they don't have the old MCU units anymore so they install the new unit with an adapter harness that mates to the existing harness in the car, as the new MCU is missing one connector that is found on the original MCU.

My car is a 2013. Thinking about it after he left, I'm not sure if he meant the new MCU is the new MCU2 or if he was possibly referring to a revised MCU1.

Go to this website The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5? on your Tesla browser. 500+ points if it is MCU2.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

This sounds like the “AP2 MCU1” compared to the original MCU. It would be awesome if they started replacing with MCU2 but we would’ve heard something by now. MCU2 is so monstrously fast especially when it comes to maps that there’s no way one wouldn’t notice it.

8A3F83A2-516C-440C-8E20-A06EE4CB3CF5.jpeg

Above: from an MCU1 *21.9.
Below: from an iPhone X just now.

6B077CBD-500B-4C28-82A3-157EE2D7EEAF.jpeg

MCU1 before 2018.14 only scored 120 points.
After 2018.14, MCU1 should reach 300 points.

If I was going to keep this mistaken purchase, I’d seriously consider upgrading to MCU2. For futureproofing, similar to the 3G to LTE upgrade for the last car, if nothing else. Although it may still be years before we get any cool features for which MCU2 is capable.

This sounds like the “AP2 MCU1” compared to the original MCU.
Yeah, MCU2 isn’t really ‘missing’ any connectors compared to the facelift MCU1. (Rather it adds to them, ref. pics above.)

Facelift MCU1, however, is quite different connector wise compared to the original (let’s call it ‘MCU0’). For example MCU0 has a big, fat, black one on the top row, that the MCU1 does not have.

A swap from MCU0 to MCU1 would therefore very likely need adapters. A swap from MCU1 to MCU2 doesn’t seem to require that

Current MCUs are not MCU2 at least for Tesla , MCU2 whatever it's have not been released yet, I would assume MCU 2 sites in model 3.
All references to current MCU in firmware call it mcu_transitional

The probably want to sandwich it all together like m3 MCU to decrease the intrusion vectors and cost cutting / ease of manufacturing

Last edited:
Reactions: Pale_Rider
This sounds like the “AP2 MCU1” compared to the original MCU. It would be awesome if they started replacing with MCU2 but we would’ve heard something by now. MCU2 is so monstrously fast especially when it comes to maps that there’s no way one wouldn’t notice it.

Should also consider that MCU2 uses the Vector maps and the new Google color skin, which MCU1 cars doesn't yet. The MCU1 will be a bit faster when the Vector maps are pushed out to older cars. Not MCU2-fast, but the delta will be way less.

Should also consider that MCU2 uses the Vector maps and the new Google color skin, which MCU1 cars doesn't yet. The MCU1 will be a bit faster when the Vector maps are pushed out to older cars. Not MCU2-fast, but the delta will be way less.
I'm not sure if they going to push vector maps to MCU1 cars, maybe after some improvements. The performance of vector maps on MCU1 is super slow, I get 0 FPS sometimes and they constantly crashing

I’ll remain skeptical — the satellite view is not vectorized in either platform and the speed difference there is pretty astounding.

Routing is another huge difference — plotting a route from San Francisco to Phoenix takes a whopping minute on MCU1 and only about 5 seconds on the Model 3.

I'm not sure if they going to push vector maps to MCU1 cars, maybe after some improvements. The performance of vector maps on MCU1 is super slow, I get 0 FPS sometimes and they constantly crashing

Oh, that's unfortunate :(
I assume that you have rooted your car so that you can test this?
Thought I've seen some yt-video from someone testing the vector maps on MCU1 and it did run very smooth. But I might have been dreaming then..
Thanks anyway for input!