Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 0918 is week 9 of 2018 in the manufacturing world.
That's possible, but see screenshot from the listing showing September 2018 manufacturing date. I'm guessing the seller made a mistake...or has some very special abilities.

upload_2018-6-26_10-9-1.png

Any idea what goes into swapping an MCU1 for an MCU1? Is any info saved on the MCU that needs to be transfferred over?

Asking to try and determine what swapping a 1 for a 2 would entail

You either need to transfer the data from the old MCU to the new MCU, or the new MCU has to be initialized with all of the correct information for your car. VIN, options, etc..

For now, even if the retrofit was available, would STRONGLY advise against it.

Our two week old X 100D has MCU2 and has problems using any Gen 1 chargers (HPWC, Gen 1 UMC, Gen 1 14-50 connector). Evidently the faster processor in the MCU2 is causing timing problems with the charging software. We may have even encountered an issue using our Gen 2 UMC (which reduced charging from 32A to 16A, because the software thought the charger was overheating).

Overall, I haven't noticed any significant performance difference in using the console on our new X 100D vs. our 2017 S 100D - and can't justify spending any $$$ just to get a faster console processor, unless it provides new functionality (and for now, it's actually providing less because of the charging issues - at least until Tesla can get the software fixed).

For now, even if the retrofit was available, would STRONGLY advise against it.

Our two week old X 100D has MCU2 and has problems using any Gen 1 chargers (HPWC, Gen 1 UMC, Gen 1 14-50 connector). Evidently the faster processor in the MCU2 is causing timing problems with the charging software. We may have even encountered an issue using our Gen 2 UMC (which reduced charging from 32A to 16A, because the software thought the charger was overheating).

Overall, I haven't noticed any significant performance difference in using the console on our new X 100D vs. our 2017 S 100D - and can't justify spending any $$$ just to get a faster console processor, unless it provides new functionality (and for now, it's actually providing less because of the charging issues - at least until Tesla can get the software fixed).
Interesting post, but what makes you connect the dots between MCU2 and the UMC...?
(I might be thick right now, but I'll throw out the question)

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
MCU2 uses a faster Intel processor than MCU1 (which uses an nVidia CPU).

After we encountered charging problems with Gen 1 charging hardware and our 2 week old X 100D, I talked with Tesla's charging team, and they were aware of MCU2-related charging issues, likely due to changes in timing of the charging software running on the faster processors.

This is not an unusual problem for real-time software - changes in processor speed can cause software that appears to be working correctly to break, because the software is running faster, uncovering synchronization issues with other devices.

Tesla should be able to fix these issues with a software update. Until then, especially, I wouldn't advise an MCU2 upgrade - because this affects not only Gen 1 charging gear at home (more likely for owners doing MCU upgrades), it also affects using Gen 1 HPWC destination chargers.

Waiting for new MCU outside warranty. 2015 P85D. One month without car, in Graz SC. No loaner. It will not be MCU2, MCU1 but with 4G internet. As I was told right now is 70 Teslas across Europe waiting for MCU replacement, because they ship it from USA in bulk, not one by one. As I dont knew if I will be without car for next month or how long, I am thinking to go for my car and use it as is.

Problem : After MCU dies completely, charging was limited to 21%. Independently if I am charging over UMC, CHAdeMO, or SUC (speed is full, over 110kw at the begining) it charges to 21% and then report message "Charging complete" !
No charge limit set to this point before !

Does somebody knew why is that ? And can I ask them to increase it ?

At first I was able to connect to car when MCU goes dead (no reset help, no fuse 51 help) and then suddenly connection from mobile app gone, and limit was to 21%. they do it remotely ? Why ? Or was automatic ?

I hope someone had a similar case. 21% is still like renault Zoe :) I will use it like that, because I cant be without car anymore.

Thanks in advice to all

My SC in Switzerland told me that the retrofit kit should be available around September. The kit will include the screen too.

This was some really great news. Anyone else who have got similar information/confirmation?

I also wonder if the swap will include the new wifi/LTE-module in the driver side mirror? According to speed tests, the new MCU get 3-5 times faster bandwidth using speed.com (or similar). Or is the bandwidth also capped by the Tegra processor?

This was some really great news. Anyone else who have got similar information/confirmation?

I also wonder if the swap will include the new wifi/LTE-module in the driver side mirror? According to speed tests, the new MCU get 3-5 times faster bandwidth using speed.com (or similar). Or is the bandwidth also capped by the Tegra processor?
Might be capped by tegra because everything is run through a proxy

Could it be because it now supports 5 GHz instead of just 2.4 GHz? I had an old Android Tegra tablet and it had both bands and was faster than my current tablet (which only supports 2.4 GHz in the US for some reason).

Could it be because it now supports 5 GHz instead of just 2.4 GHz? I had an old Android Tegra tablet and it had both bands and was faster than my current tablet (which only supports 2.4 GHz in the US for some reason).
The GHz speed depends on range. Side by side in the same room with the wireless access point, they both should be about equal, except 5GHz isn't susceptible to interference from other things on the 2.4GHz bands (Microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc).

The farther you get, the better 2.4GHz is as long as you don't have any interference as mentioned above. 5GHz doesn't do as well going through walls and what-not.

/edit. Almost 20 years ago when I lived back east we got one of those new super long range 2.4GHz cordless phones. Moved the base station next to the window, and hiked up the mountain on the other side of the valley where there was a hang glider launch. Just looked and according to google earth it was just under 6,000' away and just about 1,500' above, but with a clear line of sight. Was able to make a phone call, but lots of static. Blew my mind.

Last edited:
My SC in Switzerland told me that the retrofit kit should be available around September...

...Anyone else who have got similar information/confirmation?...
I heard September from a mobile technician. But because I heard it around the same time digistyl3 reported it, I gathered that both might be relying on the same source.

• Informative
Reactions: evster