Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems like a very arbitrary date? Why not everyone with MCU1 as MCU2 can retrofitted on any MCU1, regardless of date manf. date.
Yeah how about one VIN before mine to one VIN after mine?

in all seriousness though I would pay for a MCU2 retrofit without a second thought. It takes 2 minutes to plot a 300 mile route on MCU1 and MCU2 does it in 5 seconds. Driving blind for a mile or two is really an annoying way to start road trips.

Confirmed that MCU1 will not be getting video streaming features? Makes no sense as the processor is still somewhat powerful as is.

it’s not though, honestly. NVIDIA Tegra 3 SoC

the Tegra 3 is on average 25x slower than a Core i5. Plus it’s gonna get harder and harder for Tesla to leverage off the shelf software considering how old the Cortex A9 is and how a lot of projects have begun to drop support for it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
it’s not though, honestly. NVIDIA Tegra 3 SoC

the Tegra 3 is on average 25x slower than a Core i5. Plus it’s gonna get harder and harder for Tesla to leverage off the shelf software considering how old the Cortex A9 is and how a lot of projects have begun to drop support for it.

Many years ago, I had two different tablets with the Tegra 3 and they streamed video just fine.

The site you linked to mentions:
The included video decoder is able to play back 1080p HD videos with a bitrate of up to 40 Mbit/s. It supports the codecs H.264, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV and VC-1 (altough you need software like the Dice Player to use the hardware acceleration).

Many years ago, I had two different tablets with the Tegra 3 and they streamed video just fine.

The site you linked to mentions:
I’m not saying you can’t make those things work on a Tegra 3, but being orders of magnitude less powerful than today’s hardware makes that a lot harder to do.

years ago you could also browse the web without a 500+MB memory footprint but look at where we are with x86 Chromium. Tesla is largely basing these features off open source or otherwise existing, off the shelf components. And Linux 2.4 could smoothly draw a mouse cursor on 100MHz Pentium 1 hardware which is no longer possible on modern Linux stacks for years.

I just have a hard time believing Tesla would put any additional effort into making those new features work on MCU1 considering how much easier it is to offer AP2.5 features on AP2.0 but that’s not even worth it.

Reactions: verygreen
Yeah how about one VIN before mine to one VIN after mine?

in all seriousness though I would pay for a MCU2 retrofit without a second thought. It takes 2 minutes to plot a 300 mile route on MCU1 and MCU2 does it in 5 seconds. Driving blind for a mile or two is really an annoying way to start road trips.

Hmm, that definitly depends on the route then. On my 2018 MCU2 car a 1000 mile trip takes more than a few minutes to calculate (Europe).

Hmm, that definitly depends on the route then. On my 2018 MCU2 car a 1000 mile trip takes more than a few minutes to calculate (Europe).
It seems correlated with the number of directions (turns). If MCU2 takes a few minutes MCU1 will take 5x longer. I’ve had cases where I have driven 5 miles before an update in directions because a passenger wanted to route to some other location. With MCU1 you’re simply afraid to mess with navigation once a trip starts unless it’s a short trip.

Reactions: selfbp
It seems correlated with the number of directions (turns). If MCU2 takes a few minutes MCU1 will take 5x longer. I’ve had cases where I have driven 5 miles before an update in directions because a passenger wanted to route to some other location. With MCU1 you’re simply afraid to mess with navigation once a trip starts unless it’s a short trip.

Exactly why at this stage I just Route in my smartphone then share the directions to the car. I stopped using the automatic supercharger routing after realizing how inefficient it was.

Looks like MCU2 only is confirmed
Nowhere in that video do they confirm MCU2 only. That video is filmed on a X with MCU2 (or, in the comments the poster says "Mcu3", lol), but it does not in any way prove that MCU1 is specifically excluded.

Now, we can guess from a number of points of how slow MCU1 does other things that if it DOES do the new features, they might be sluggish (or even unusable), but we still don't have any proof yet.

The big features for V10 so far are what, Netflix, Youtube, and audio and video now available in the browser.. all from what I understand are only available when the car is in Park. So frankly, I'm not sure where the issue would be for providing these to MCU1 as well. It's when the car is in motion that it seems MCU1 can get overwhelmed.

Then again, frankly speaking again, for V10 on MCU1 I'd rather see browser fixed even if it means removing the video games and reversing the V9 UI "changes for the sake of change" that seemed to have been met with universal disapproval.

The big features for V10 so far are what, Netflix, Youtube, and audio and video now available in the browser.. all from what I understand are only available when the car is in Park. So frankly, I'm not sure where the issue would be for providing these to MCU1 as well. It's when the car is in motion that it seems MCU1 can get overwhelmed.

Then again, frankly speaking again, for V10 on MCU1 I'd rather see browser fixed even if it means removing the video games and reversing the V9 UI "changes for the sake of change" that seemed to have been met with universal disapproval.

Those are big changes. People have confirmed, spotify, google music, plex all work in the browser

People - there is no armv7 binary for Chromium so our MCU1 units will not ever have Chromium because it's simply not compiled to run on our old Tegra-based platform, thus never have any browser based features such as what v10 is offering.

The only things v10 could offer to mcu1 cars would be improved IC displays, Caraoke, Sentry Mode Improvements, Autopilot improvements, and other non-web based items.