Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Met the X" yesterday...meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just pay a small delivery fee. Not a big deal a few times a year. If you need to haul 4x8 sheets of something monthly or weekly then get a truck.

It's a total pain (time and money) to rent a truck when you have a vehicle that should be able to safely transport the goods. And then there are the situations where you are at Best Buy, no where near a Home Depot, trying to fit a big-screen TV into the vehicle. Or how about a bike purchase or some antique furniture. Sometimes it's nice to be able to make a spontaneous purchase without having to figure out transport logistics first.

It's a total pain (time and money) to rent a truck when you have a vehicle that should be able to safely transport the goods. And then there are the situations where you are at Best Buy, no where near a Home Depot, trying to fit a big-screen TV into the vehicle. Or how about a bike purchase or some antique furniture. Sometimes it's nice to be able to make a spontaneous purchase without having to figure out transport logistics first.
Understand, but I for one would never base the purchase on a vehicle that I use a feature only spontaneous. Its not like BestBuy or the antique furniture dealer wouldn't have either another of the same item or hold it for you while you run to a Home Depot to rent a truck. Have done this twice with spontaneous Costco purchases. One time we weren't ready to purchase a new sectional for our basement, but our local Costco had a great deal. My wife purchased the sectional while I went and rented the truck down the road. Another time it was a outdoor kitchen setup (mini-fridge, grill, cooktop, etc.). On the other hand I know people who own a big arse SUV to tow a boat to a cottage in April and home in October.

A seldom considered advantage of an EV is that you won't get poisoned driving with the hatch up hauling large objects. ICE cars suck the exhaust into the cabin.

I will pay $20 to the first person who can get a photo of someone else's X, on the road, with the rear hatch open because they have stuff hanging out the back with rope and bungee cords! First Sanford & Son-esque picture wins!

I have no issue with the sound of an engine. While the acceleration isn't instant, the handling and feel of the 911 is by far head and shoulders above the MS.......snip.....
as a former 89' turbo cab owner - I get it when my passengers would say, "it feels like a go-cart". Similarly, my better half says the MS "feels like a go-cart" compared to the MX. The OP is well w/in their rights to 'meah' the MX, as is anyone else. Surprise surprise, people have different thoughts & interpretations of how things ought to be . I think I'll reserve my right to post my opinion until if & when - I find another powerful/feature filled safe ev/SUV, that isn't built exactly how i'd do it - if in fact i were ever to start up one of the 1st auto production companies in what .... a ½ decade or more? Nah, think I won't bother even after i accomplish that miracle - after all it's likely no one really cares what my view is and no one will be swayed one way or another - would they?
;)
As for 911 noise & acceleration - you can always switch over to the 918 hybrid. Instant torque with lots of noise - best of both worlds

Last edited:

This is well phrased. I also don't always want deliveries - I like to deal with stuff myself. This vehicle could have been what it is and still had these capabilities - it's hard for some of us to reconcile that. It'll bug me I'm sure, but I've decided to work around it with an aluminum trailer.

I think thx1139 misunderstands. It's not making a decision about a feature you use only spontaneously. It's making a decision about a feature that might be used often for purchases that are spontaneous. Some people buy things spontaneously every week.

It's been said before, but since we're on the topic, I'll say it again. Some of us aren't close to a Home Depot or other rental place; or may not be close to the store where we purchase the item. I'm not nearly as far as others, but if I bought a TV at Costco that didn't fit in my Model X, I'd have to drive 20 minutes to Home Depot, wait for the rental, drive 20 minutes back to Costco, 40 minutes to my house, 60 minutes back to Home Depot to return the truck, and 60 minutes back to my house. It's possible, but it's far from convenient when we could have more space in the vehicle we're driving.

Zaxxon, we cancelled our Model X P90D order last week for reasons I detailed in a separate thread. I am responding to you, because we too ended up going with the XC90 T8 Inscription. What a wonderful vehicle. Volvos reknowned safety. Beautiful fit and finish inside and out. Functional interior seating that folds flat. Assisted Driving that will steer and stop the vehicle. And, $60,200 less than the MX P90D that we had on order. So, now that the wife got an SUV she loves, I can use the $60,200 savings to buy a used Model S in a few months.

Last edited:
Zaxxon, we cancelled our Model X P90D order last week for reasons I detailed in a separate thread. I am responding to you, because we too ended up going with the XC90 T8 Inscription. What a wonderful vehicle. Volvos reknowned safety. Beautiful fit and finish inside and out. Functional interior seating that folds flat. Assisted Driving that will steer and stop the vehicle. And, $60,200 less than the MX P90D that we had on order. So, now that the wife got an SUV she loves, I can use the $60,200 savings to buy a used Model S in a few months.
Awesome. We went R-Design. The one common thread seems to be that we're all still planning to get Teslas. Which is good. :)

This is well phrased. I also don't always want deliveries - I like to deal with stuff myself. This vehicle could have been what it is and still had these capabilities - it's hard for some of us to reconcile that. It'll bug me I'm sure, but I've decided to work around it with an aluminum trailer.

I think thx1139 misunderstands. It's not making a decision about a feature you use only spontaneously. It's making a decision about a feature that might be used often for purchases that are spontaneous. Some people buy things spontaneously every week.

It's been said before, but since we're on the topic, I'll say it again. Some of us aren't close to a Home Depot or other rental place; or may not be close to the store where we purchase the item. I'm not nearly as far as others, but if I bought a TV at Costco that didn't fit in my Model X, I'd have to drive 20 minutes to Home Depot, wait for the rental, drive 20 minutes back to Costco, 40 minutes to my house, 60 minutes back to Home Depot to return the truck, and 60 minutes back to my house. It's possible, but it's far from convenient when we could have more space in the vehicle we're driving.

The X definitely has some limitations such as trunk space. One of the reasons we got the six seat version is because I occasionally need to haul something long. I'm sure at some point I'll want to purchase something that doesn't fit, but that's no different than if I was driving a small sedan. However, I don't think I've ever made a big purchase like a TV or a bike spontaneously--I like to do some research first--so hopefully I'll think ahead before purchasing something big so I don't get stuck in that situation.

Ever since more info started coming out about the X last September I've been fretting over things like this. Then I'd tell my wife and she'd reply with something along the lines of: "why are you worrying so much about something that might happen once or twice per year--we'll deal with it when it happens and move on. Let's not make a purchase decision based on infrequent events."

Ever since more info started coming out about the X last September I've been fretting over things like this. Then I'd tell my wife and she'd reply with something along the lines of: "why are you worrying so much about something that might happen once or twice per year--we'll deal with it when it happens and move on. Let's not make a purchase decision based on infrequent events."
I agree with this logic but for me it's the comfort of the 3rd row. It might get used once a year at best. Now storing longer and wider objects in my car versus carrying passengers happens to be more frequent. My second rows seats are more likely down or at least split.

Understood, but a Model X was never promoted as this type of vehicle. Did they ever say you could put a 4x8 piece of plywood in it?

Understood, but a Model X was never promoted as this type of vehicle. Did they ever say you could put a 4x8 piece of plywood in it?

They did show it with folding seats and asked "What would you do with all this space?" when it was first unveiled. There was no mention of 4x8 pieces of lumber but there was the expectation of folding seats.

2ndrow.png