Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the sentiment is that the Big 3 are winning the war in Michigan since there are unhappy Tesla owners not wanting to buy/recommend Tesla anymore. So, get rid of your Tesla and get a Lincoln or Cadillac.

In all seriousness, yes it suck that Tesla is not flatbedding cars around Michigan anymore, but objectively speaking, it makes no sense to believe that was a sustainable long-term solution, anyway. The real issue is with the state legislature being bought and owned by the Big 3. They're the ones that the frustration needs to be directed at. I would call them and chew them out... since it's ultimately their decision. Chewing out Tesla makes no sense since they're at the mercy of Michigan's government.

Crappy situation, friend.

...why...

In theory, Native American Reservations are sovereign nations and have their own autonomy but I suspect, in reality, they are under the rules of Auto Dealerships,

If they are not under the rules of Auto Dealerships, Tesla should have opened up sales car lots there because Tesla has already placed Superchargers and Destination chargers at some Native American Reservations.

Although I live in California but for the past 7 years, I drove 200 miles (400 miles round trip) to my nearest Service Centers for annual maintenance.

Lucky for me that I've had mobile service options for other minor services during that time.

Still, I knew what I was getting into. Not very convenient for 7 years but it's the price I've been willing to pay for as an early adopter.

I think that can happen in Michigan too. If there are so many owners in Michigan, it's possible to change the law and get the service more convenient over there.

So 1) good for you that you didn't bat an eyelid driving 200 miles to your nearest service center. I apologize I am not as magnanimous and large hearted toward EV adoption as you are. Even though in my little realm I have stretched myself significantly to support Tesla through a vehicle purchase and stock purchase, but them asking me to start driving ~100 miles for service is making me lose faith toward continuing to blindly support this company.

and 2) I have (as have many other Tesla owners in MI) written to representatives including Gary Peters, Debbie Stabenow, Debbie Dingel and some Republican a-holes about their obnoxious policies that are going 180 degree opposite to what other states are doing in terms of EV adoption. They send out canned responses and have nowhere on their priority list to antagonize the big 3 here and lose votes and funding. It is a sad state of affairs here in Michigan and it certainly is making less and less sense to own a Tesla here. Because the government doesn't give a darn about EVs and now Tesla doesn't give a darn either about customers who want to support the company.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla has stopped pursuing improvement in the Michigan sales and service status. They aren’t losing any sales because of Michigan’s issues. Demand still exceeds production.

However, Tesla is also to blame for not letting 3rd parties service their cars, too (or at least making it easy enough). So, there’s that.

Tesla cut back on everything since 2017 so complaints about no loners and no flatbeds anymore are falling on Deaf ears. Buying one now is a risk if you live in Michigan and need service.

Tesla has stopped pursuing improvement in the Michigan sales and service status. They aren’t losing any sales because of Michigan’s issues. Demand still exceeds production.

However, Tesla is also to blame for not letting 3rd parties service their cars, too (or at least making it easy enough). So, there’s that.

Tesla cut back on everything since 2017 so complaints about no loners and no flatbeds anymore are falling on Deaf ears. Buying one now is a risk if you live in Michigan and need service.

Yea its pretty pathetic in how they've abandoned the Tesla owners in this state. The government had failed us to begin with this and now this company too. The writing is clear on the wall, I need to trade my S in for a Leaf or a Jaguar i-Pace or something. Its not going to be the best thing to go to either of those options, especially considering none of them have a supercharging network. But then again its better than driving 100 miles every time I need to get an issue fixed in my car.

Shame on Tesla...and shame on the corrupt MI administration. And I'm not even talking about the sky high $600+ annual registration that i have been paying to own a Tesla here. It makes no sense to own a Tesla here anymore.

Yea its pretty pathetic in how they've abandoned the Tesla owners in this state. The government had failed us to begin with this and now this company too. The writing is clear on the wall, I need to trade my S in for a Leaf or a Jaguar i-Pace or something. Its not going to be the best thing to go to either of those options, especially considering none of them have a supercharging network. But then again its better than driving 100 miles every time I need to get an issue fixed in my car.

Shame on Tesla...and shame on the corrupt MI administration. And I'm not even talking about the sky high $600+ annual registration that i have been paying to own a Tesla here. It makes no sense to own a Tesla here anymore.
Wow, $600 registration. Is that just for EVs? How did they come up with that figure?

Reactions: dark cloud
The warranty clearly states it is your responsibility to get the car to them for service if it can be driven. My guess is that the pickup/drop off they were offering was intended to be temporary and that they expected their lawsuit to get settled sooner and they would be able to open service centers.

But then they figured out they needed to cut service costs, and the first thing that makes since to cut is "free" services that they aren't required to provide like drop off and pickup services.

And 70 miles doesn't really seem that bad, people with hundreds of miles to the nearest service center have it much worse off.

Hi

I own a Tesla Model S since 2016. When I purchased the car, everything was hunky dory for S and X owners in Michigan since Tesla promised to send a flatbed to pick up your car and give you a loaner or send a ranger to fix your car issues. This arrangement lasted for a while but has lately gotten rocky to the point that now Tesla is downright abandoning their Michigan customers.

Last couple of times I have tried scheduling a service with Tesla they gave me a hard time about picking up my car then said they'd charge $100 for the picking up and dropping off a loaner. I pushed back and they showed some flexibility and continued the arrangement of picking up my car and dropping off a loaner one time.

But in the latest instance wherein I setup a service appointment (to fix the dreaded yellow screen and driving vibration issue under warranty), Tesla tells me that I will need to drive my car to either Toledo or Cleveland to get it taken care of. The problem is that I live approx. 90 miles one-way from Toledo and much farther still from Cleveland. I called up and asked why the heck were they being so difficult about this and they said that apparently they are doing this to even customers all the way in Traverse City. Now I don't know how much truth is associated with that last statement but if a Tesla customer in TC is expected to drive 300 miles to Toledo service then 1) either they think Tesla owners in Michigan are downright dumb or 2) such Tesla customers are so loyal to Tesla that they don't think anything of wasting an entire couple of days just driving their car to and from the Tesla service centers. In either case the situation is awful.

If this is the way Tesla chooses to treat its Michigan customers then I can safely say this is going to lead to an increasing number of customers moving away from purchasing a Tesla. I love my Tesla and love the fact that I am not driving an ICE but I have to say that Tesla with its myriad of quality issues that my car has experienced and now dwindling customer service is making me strongly consider trading in my car for a Nissan Leaf or something. At least I won't have to drive my Leaf 100 miles to get it serviced. Ever since the Model 3 launch I feel Tesla has gone to a terrible place in terms of their wait times and lack of customer service.

I am writing all this to inquire if other Michigan owners have lately had the same troublesome experience with getting Tesla service scheduled and car picked up? If yes and if you live upward of 70 miles away from Tesla service then how are you going about dealing with this situation? I am curious to hear some perspectives on this as from my standpoint this is an incredibly frustrating and brainless move Tesla is making toward Michigan customers. This is leaving me feeling quite distraught and considering options of getting rid of my Tesla. As hard as it would be to give up on Tesla I feel that the quality issues are too many in my car (and other Teslas from what I have read) and to waste half a day going to and from a service center every time is just absolutely assinine but it seems like Tesla has put its foot down and is not thinking this through for Michigan customers.

Thank you!

Did you say Tesla has agreed to fix your “yellow screen “ under warranty???

Did you say Tesla has agreed to fix your “yellow screen “ under warranty???

That's what they tell me. First they said they'd fix it....then they said they're awaiting new screens from OEM wherein this yellow border issue has permanently been fixed. Then I asked them when is the screen due...they said not anytime soon...so I got them to send me in writing that they will cover this screen replacement even if I cross 4 years or 50,000 miles. They did send that communication. So that is my understanding, that they will fix this screen under warranty. Btw the bloody stupid screen has done this yellow border nonsense about the third time now. Garbage quality control with Tesla cars...its so sad!

That's what they tell me. First they said they'd fix it....then they said they're awaiting new screens from OEM wherein this yellow border issue has permanently been fixed. Then I asked them when is the screen due...they said not anytime soon...so I got them to send me in writing that they will cover this screen replacement even if I cross 4 years or 50,000 miles. They did send that communication. So that is my understanding, that they will fix this screen under warranty. Btw the bloody stupid screen has done this yellow border nonsense about the third time now. Garbage quality control with Tesla cars...its so sad!

WOW, that’s great that you got the commitment in writing!

Would it be safe to presume the free and easy loaner and pickup were under warranty which has since expired?

Things cost money, loaners and flatbeds cost money.
Early on that money was well spent as marketting to make sure issues were not publicized.btoday they are watching the bottom line.

I say this as someone who lives even further from service. I am near Green Bay and get to choose Chicago or Minneapolis, but I knew that going in, let me repeat that, I knew that going in.......

You know I am so sick and tired of holier-than-thou Tesla fanboys on this forum who who love rubbing it in everyone's face about how they're saving the planet by being so dedicated to Tesla. I am a very dedicated Tesla owner too, at least I was. I spent an arm and a leg on this car and coughed out the $600 registration fee per year and made this car work as our only car in the family because it was all we could afford. Unfortunately we are not as rich or philanthropic like you or some others commenting here trying to make me feel how I am the problem here. Given their lack of service support it has become unaffordable and nonsensical trying to continue with a Tesla in a state where neither the state nor the car company supports your stance in trying to do the right thing for the environment. For some of us it unfortunately boils down to affordability, time, practicality and owning a Tesla it feels like you're fighting an uphill battle on all fronts now.

you must have known where the closes Service center was, when you bought you car, you must have known this going in, A 90mi trip is about 2hrs. I would do 2hrs. to have a Tesla in a state, that is so corrupt, just to show them and wright so many letters to them, and never vote for anyone that is in office now.

When I bought my car I was told by Tesla that they will provide the flatbed/loaner service for all S and X owners. This was a big part of my decision making to go with a Tesla knowing that getting it serviced or fixed will be convenient enough given there are no SCs in the entire state of Michigan which is pretty huge. That is what I was told and what I knew going in.

This is our only car in the family. We are not as fortunate as many of you on here who may have multiple cars or have the luxury of wasting 4 hours in a day driving to and from a Tesla SC. My company would fire me if I started taking that kind of time away from work just cuz I had to get my car serviced. If you can afford that life then good for you! Given the number of issues that have come up with my Tesla, being in contact with Tesla service has been a regular part of my life since I bought this car.

In my case and in my mind Tesla abandoned me and many such Michigan customers to whom it promised that they will provide service support through ranger or flatbed to compensate from the fact that there are no SCs in MI and compensate for the fact that Tesla isn't OK with letting 3rd party shops service their cars. Its a wrong situation and has immensely eroded my faith in this company. And here I was a few months ago thinking that once I can afford it I'd love to own a X in the next year or so. Not anymore!

Wow, $600 registration. Is that just for EVs? How did they come up with that figure?

No idea how this wonderful administration came up with that number. I’m not sure if that’s only for Tesla’s or other EVs too. In any case it’s absurd and astronomical. I think the Michigan government’s logic is that since we Tesla owners don’t buy gas we therefore don’t pay a gas tax so we have to pay our share through an absurd registration fee. This state is absolutely ass backward and Tesla giving up on us is making matters much worse.

...When I bought my car I was told by Tesla that they will provide the flatbed/loaner service for all S and X owners...

As usual, it's very hard to enforce a verbal agreement and that's why there's written documentation in case things have changed.

If Tesla was serious, that should have been put in writing.

Since it was not in contract documentation, we should realize that it was just a pep talk to overcome potential owners' hesitation.

No idea how this wonderful administration came up with that number. I’m not sure if that’s only for Tesla’s or other EVs too. In any case it’s absurd and astronomical. I think the Michigan government’s logic is that since we Tesla owners don’t buy gas we therefore don’t pay a gas tax so we have to pay our share through an absurd registration fee. This state is absolutely ass backward and Tesla giving up on us is making matters much worse.
That is a crazy amount if it's supposed to be a replacement for the state gas tax.

If I am reading the OP right, all this drama is about getting Tesla to flat bed his Tesla out of state to fix a flipping yellow band around his screen.

Tesla has repeatedly communicated that they do not want to keep (this would be the OP's third one) changing out these screens until they get either a non issue replacement or can sort out the UV fix.

Of course they are not going to want to ship your car out of state to put in another screen that you will just complain about when THAT one goes bad.

Might be out of line here, but I think OP is pushing this yellow screen thing to the limit.

State of Michigan is making repairing Tesla impossible in their State. Tesla might bend over backwards to provide warranty work when it is a serious issue...but a transparent yellow tint to a band around the screen...?

They have already agreed that they will warranty OP's screen, but not until they get a fix that will be permanent.

That is a crazy amount if it's supposed to be a replacement for the state gas tax.

My California annual 2017 Model X registration fee is $891 which is cheaper than Michigan's fee:

QuWg5jA.jpg

If I am reading the OP right, all this drama is about getting Tesla to flat bed his Tesla out of state to fix a flipping yellow band around his screen.

Tesla has repeatedly communicated that they do not want to keep (this would be the OP's third one) changing out these screens until they get either a non issue replacement or can sort out the UV fix.

Of course they are not going to want to ship your car out of state to put in another screen that you will just complain about when THAT one goes bad.

Might be out of line here, but I think OP is pushing this yellow screen thing to the limit.

State of Michigan is making repairing Tesla impossible in their State. Tesla might bend over backwards to provide warranty work when it is a serious issue...but a transparent yellow tint to a band around the screen...?

They have already agreed that they will warranty OP's screen, but not until they get a fix that will be permanent.

Did you bother reading my post or are you just another lurker who comes on commenting any time anyone says anything negative about Tesla? I mentioned in my post about the screen AND a vibration issue with acceleration. I also mentioned that they started refusing to flatbed the car for previous services as well.

As a reasonable human being I get that if the screen isn't available until later there is no point in them coming and picking up my car. But the fact that Tesla is now neither sending a ranger nor picking up a car under any circumstance and giving me BS about how customers 300 miles away are expected to drive to the SCs too is what I am deeply frustrated and disappointed about.

I get the whole Tesla fan thing. I have been one too for many years since their first Model S came out. But I also don't pledge blind allegiance to a company or a political party. I suggest you open your eyes too. Tesla is great and they are changing the paradigm for the whole world for which I am very grateful and always will be. But they way they're treating an entire state's customers and going back on their word (which they gave me when I bought my car) is what is offensive.

and 2) I have (as have many other Tesla owners in MI) written to representatives including Gary Peters, Debbie Stabenow, Debbie Dingel and some Republican a-holes about their obnoxious policies that are going 180 degree opposite to what other states are doing in terms of EV adoption.

Those folks have nothing to do with the issue in the state. These are not the Reps or Senators that wrote the legislation. Your local representative in Lansing can help you much more. Unless his name is State Senator Joe Hune. His wife is the DADA lobbyist that got the language in the bill.

Most all of us are on your side, but calling us Fanboi, lurker(troll),or names makes the lemonade a little less sweet if you know what I mean. Most of us provide spot on advice from experience or maybe from a different point of view.

In regards to the registration. Many states are headed the way of the EV tax. Whether or not math makes sense for what the surcharge is well, it doesn't. If the pocket has money in it, Lansing will find a way to put the hand in it, or put a hole in your pocket while they do your laundry. Let me know any tax or fee policy that affects all users equally and proportionally including incorporating ones income or wealth. Been looking for a long time.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Evoyager and GSP