Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the LR battery and I'm surprised everyone here is saying they need the range. The $9000 plus tax I paid is not worth 1 or 2 times a year when I need the range (road trips). This MR battery for $4k less is a better deal but the best deal is the SR battery. The 220 mile range is more than enough for a single day of driving, even 150 miles is plenty for me. I was worried about losing the federal tax credit completely if the laws change so I ordered in August. On the positive side I feel great about only paying $3k for the FSD upgrade which comes with a free upgrade to the new Tesla computer/chip next year.

Keep in mind, most folks are only charging to 70-80% max for battery health...and don't want to run it down below 20% for the same reason...

The math on 220 doesn't look as good for folks with long drives to/from work, and even worse in winter climates.

As far as road trips, 310 miles makes it a lot easier to comfortably get between superchargers doing non-CA travel than 220 would (again doubly so in winter)

Still plenty of folks for whom 220 will be fine (I mean- people buy the leaf after all!) but plenty who'd want/need more too.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The reasons for the MR battery are obvious. Tesla built too many LR RWD 3's for $49K and above that are just filling parking lots waiting to be sold. And too many reservation holders stuck to the $35K promise and refuse to buy them for $49K+.

Tesla may be making a MR battery with fewer cells, but these LR cars absolutely will have a software lock to turn them into MR cars and slow them down a little. Tesla would be foolish not to, and they have used software locks before.

So Tesla is trying to meet them halfway and get some cars sold while still making most of their profit.

And what's this BS of Tesla posting prices "with estimated savings"? That's the kind of thing that used car dealers do! Post the REAL price, Tesla!

The reasons for the MR battery are obvious. Tesla built too many LR RWD 3's for $49K and above that are just filling parking lots waiting to be sold.

Yeah because they would sell all that stock sitting around so fast when you can't even order one anymore...

My guess is they are doing because of the cell shortage and this allows them to make more cars without reducing the profit too much.

And what's this BS of Tesla posting prices "with estimated savings"? That's the kind of thing that used car dealers do! Post the REAL price, Tesla!

Uh, "real" price is always posted on the config page, on the lower left corner. They show you both before and after savings. There's nothing wrong with that as it gives you some idea of the kind of savings you might receive. Believe it or not, most people don't visit forums such as this so they may not know about the tax incentives, rebates, and gas savings.

And I don't get why Tesla is getting the flak for this, Nissan does the same on the LEAF page, same with Chevy Bolt.

I wish they could GUARANTEE delivery of this mid-range version by 12/31 for the full $7,500 tax credit... especially living in Texas, I have huge doubts I'd get it in time.
This may be stupid but you
I wish they could GUARANTEE delivery of this mid-range version by 12/31 for the full $7,500 tax credit... especially living in Texas, I have huge doubts I'd get it in time.

Maybe you could pick it up before 2019 in CA don’t know how far that is for you...

All customers are eligible for the full $7,500 Federal Tax Credit if they take delivery by the end of the year. Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central and 8 weeks for the east coast. For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I configured my exact car - Midnight silver, performance AWD, white interior, performance upgrade and EAP. Total price of car got from 78,200.00 down to 76,500.00 before incentives/savings.

I'm catching up on the thread, but I think the difference is:

$76,500 + $500 (extra old white interior price) + $1,200 delivery = $78,200.

They don't show the $1,200 delivery charge on the configurator as I recall.

It also likely means quite lower profit margins since they are slashing price by $5,000 and 16 kw of battery probably only saves them $2,000 at production.

LR pack upsale charges the customer ~$360/kWh. If MR pack is ~64kWh (~80kWh - 16kWh) at $5000 over SR, 14 kWh for $5k or ~$357/kWh. But it might be even smaller at around ~60kWh (depending on whether we are guessing a ratio versus LR RWD EPA 334 or "EPA" 310 range, and assumptions about increased efficiency due to less mass), then for 10kWh more for $5k it's $500/kWh to the customer. This all assumes the SR is actually 50kWh (versus the "75kWh" being closer to 80 for the LR), which is probably a bad assumption, but my point it to show that the range of variables allows for them to actually be making WAY more on the pack upcharge alone.

Never mind that they potentially can build a 5th MR for every 4 MRs vs just 4 LR's, which when you consider the margins on PUP (still mandatory) and EAP (very high uptake), not to mention the resulting higher vehicle run rate spreading out fixed costs more, it's not impossible for MR RWD's to actually out-margin LR AWD's.

Tesla may be making a MR battery with fewer cells, but these LR cars absolutely will have a software lock to turn them into MR cars and slow them down a little. Tesla would be foolish not to, and they have used software locks before.

If they did that, the specs listed on the website for the MR car you are buying would be false (weight).

Damn.. they basically slashed the price of the LR by $4k

People gonna charge to 100 percent and get 260 miles... I get 280 when I charge to 90... it’s basically the same thing for $4k less.

It has to be software limited.

Anybody who says that they rather wait for the SR is not serious.. they will never buy

Elon said already it wasn’t software limited. Also the weight is different between 3MR and 3LR.

So no. You are wrong but I’m sure you were glad to be proven wrong. :)

I kept a reservation holding on to SR but it only took me seconds to do the math and saw it as only paying 1250 or so for PUP and more range.

@mattjs33 - forget used LR - this is your car.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Damn.. they basically slashed the price of the LR by $4k

People gonna charge to 100 percent and get 260 miles... I get 280 when I charge to 90... it’s basically the same thing for $4k less.

It has to be software limited.

Anybody who says that they rather wait for the SR is not serious.. they will never buy
While I know what you are talking about but it is not what you think. MR is not software limited as confirmed by Tesla statement to Electrek. Also go look at the spec on the website, the weights are different.

Edit: @MXWing beat me to it.