Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million mile motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, that's true. For now. But as the technology matures and Tesla learns what the points of failure are, we'll see these items get drastically more reliable in the future.

Let's just call your view here unreasonably optimistic. It's a car, it has a service life, that service life is never going to be 500K much less 1m. On average people do not want to keep a car all that long anyway.
Seats rip, carpet wears out, road dirt etches and clouds the windows, the whole car would be replaced piece by piece anyway. Think with your head not Tesla goggles.

Heck those of us with 5+ yo car have had the function of our batteries badly handicapped without explanation.

Let's just call your view here unreasonably optimistic. It's a car, it has a service life, that service life is never going to be 500K much less 1m. On average people do not want to keep a car all that long anyway.
Seats rip, carpet wears out, road dirt etches and clouds the windows, the whole car would be replaced piece by piece anyway. Think with your head not Tesla goggles.

Heck those of us with 5+ yo car have had the function of our batteries badly handicapped without explanation.
Re-reading my post, I can see that I failed to really communicate what I wanted to... I'm not saying that they're going to get the entire car to last a million miles, I'm just talking about them improving the items that you (very correctly) identified has having reliability problems and inadequate service life. Tesla doesn't want to have to pay to repair/replace those items during the warranty period, so it's in their own best interest to take care of these types of failures. It's just a matter of new product refinement... learning the failure modes and fixing them.

As for "Tesla goggles," yes, I'm a fan boy. But I'm also very quick to point out, acknowledge, and discuss Tesla's short comings, problems, quality control... you name it. It's in our own best interest to bring these problems to light and discuss them. I will never blindly defend Tesla. They are a company, and all companies have problems. Bringing those problems to light, discussing them, working through them, making Tesla do something about them is in everyone's best interest.

I wasn't aware of Tesla badly handicapping batteries without explanation. That is, obviously, completely wrong of them to do, and a perfect example of something Tesla needs to be called out on. Can you point me to a thread on this issue?

Reactions: TomB985
Warranty period? 8 years and way less than a million miles. Company hopes not to eat too many warranty costs during that time. After that, it's up to subsequent owners to bear replacement costs. A million miles, sure but who wants to bear the costs to achieve that goal?

Keep on revvin'

Bill

Reactions: cwerdna
Re-reading my post, I can see that I failed to really communicate what I wanted to... I'm not saying that they're going to get the entire car to last a million miles, I'm just talking about them improving the items that you (very correctly) identified has having reliability problems and inadequate service life. Tesla doesn't want to have to pay to repair/replace those items during the warranty period, so it's in their own best interest to take care of these types of failures. It's just a matter of new product refinement... learning the failure modes and fixing them.

As for "Tesla goggles," yes, I'm a fan boy. But I'm also very quick to point out, acknowledge, and discuss Tesla's short comings, problems, quality control... you name it. It's in our own best interest to bring these problems to light and discuss them. I will never blindly defend Tesla. They are a company, and all companies have problems. Bringing those problems to light, discussing them, working through them, making Tesla do something about them is in everyone's best interest.

I wasn't aware of Tesla badly handicapping batteries without explanation. That is, obviously, completely wrong of them to do, and a perfect example of something Tesla needs to be called out on. Can you point me to a thread on this issue?

Referred to as batterygate and chargergate lots of discussions
In the last year "updates have cost me 10-15 miles in range and cut supercharging rate used to see up to 400miles per hour rate, highest have seen this fall was 260ish and only 40kw(sorry about the metric change) when I tried a month ago but pack might have still been a little cold and began to taper by the time it warmed.

Regen temperature curve has been raised as well. This all speaks to them knowing there is a problem but rather than fix it are sweeping it under the rug. The supercharging rate cut is a problem for family road trips.

This privatier Hansjoerg in Germany who drives 600km a day has over 1 million km on his model S. Though I do think he had his drive unit replaced at some point.
You talking about this Model S?
This Tesla Model S P85+ Just Passed One Million Kilometers On Odometer
The car is currently using its 4th electric motor. The current one is holding well after 680,000 km. It is also the only one the car has since we are talking about an RWD unit. Anyway, it had to go to the shop three times to have so many km crossed, but not only that. It is also in its 3rd battery pack.

I believe they replace the entire drive unit because it is considered a "sealed unit".
I was a jet engine mech and often there were sealed units that you just replace. It's the "Depot" level of maintenance where components are fabricated or repaired.
The service center wouldn't have the expertise or equipment for that level of maintenance.

Reactions: outdoors
Referred to as batterygate and chargergate lots of discussions
In the last year "updates have cost me 10-15 miles in range and cut supercharging rate used to see up to 400miles per hour rate, highest have seen this fall was 260ish and only 40kw(sorry about the metric change) when I tried a month ago but pack might have still been a little cold and began to taper by the time it warmed.

Regen temperature curve has been raised as well. This all speaks to them knowing there is a problem but rather than fix it are sweeping it under the rug. The supercharging rate cut is a problem for family road trips.

It’s also possible that they discovered that higher rates of charge degrade the battery more, so they are limiting it to help preserve the battery. They seem to be in the Apple frame of mind - trying to achieve “It just works” without troubling the non-technical amongst us with explanations of charge rate versus heat versus electrolyte degradation, etc. I don’t really ascribe nefarious motivations here; ultimately the happier you are with your vehicle, the better the company does.

Reactions: Tron 3
It’s also possible that they discovered that higher rates of charge degrade the battery more, so they are limiting it to help preserve the battery.
That was it exactly, although the owners of those packs are agitating for free pack replacements instead.
The warranty argument is a red herring because those packs never carried a degradation clause.

I am mostly on Tesla's side in this argument: we all take some risk when we buy a new car that it will be part of a batch of lower quality or an innovation misstep. People who do not want to take on the risk should buy used. That said, I'd like to see Tesla offer these owners current best in class packs at Tesla cost to manufacture as a goodwill gesture towards our early adopters.

It’s also possible that they discovered that higher rates of charge degrade the battery more, so they are limiting it to help preserve the battery. They seem to be in the Apple frame of mind - trying to achieve “It just works” without troubling the non-technical amongst us with explanations of charge rate versus heat versus electrolyte degradation, etc. I don’t really ascribe nefarious motivations here; ultimately the happier you are with your vehicle, the better the company does.

But they are jacking the rates on the Ravens so it is not a charge rate. If that is your argument then it is a matter of Tesla designing inadequate cooling in the older packs for the rate of charge they allowed. That gets you into recall territory.

I specify Ravens since they still use the 18650 cell.

Tesla controls the cooling and charge rate, if those were not matched the first so many years that is on them.

Yes, but with how much $$$$ in maintenance to get to 300K.

My AWD 2014 Honda Crosstour V6 (which I bought new) will definitely have a lower TCO than our LR AWD Model 3. We did the math prior to getting the Model 3, and it's so far holding true. Modern engines are actually easy to keep in good condition if you maintain them appropriately (i.e. do your fluid changes in reasonable intervals, don't wait until something is wrong) and are fairly reliable given the decades of refinement and engineering we've had. Like others have pointed out, EVs either have the very same parts that wear out (steering, suspension components, all sorts of joints) or simply different parts (e.g. charge ports, onboard chargers, LCD screens, batteries) that can have their own issues.

EVs haven't magically solved the maintenance requirements of a four-wheeled carriage.

Can he be held to claims he makes like these? Legally speaking, that is.

The SEC thinks so: Tesla's Elon Musk reaches deal with SEC over Twitter use

That said, that's nothing to do with performance and reliability claims, so likely not.

Here were about 1.5 dozen Model 3's that needed their drive units replaced: Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts... I posted that in March 2019. In Nov 2019, I pointed to 3 more I found at 24 Months of Model 3 - How is Reliability?.

One of the folks I pointed to is in this thread.

See, what I find hilarious about this (in the "hahaha oh no I own one of these" way) is that this is the new motor design (the Model 3 rear motor) that is failing more frequently. I don't even recall a front motor failure on this forum for the Model 3, it's been either mostly rear motors or simply all rear motors.

Just because it's "new" and an "advancement" doesn't mean it's actually better. We're seeing the results of this as the years go by. They had more experience with their induction motor designs, which they did eventually address the early reliability issues of. Now that we have a new motor type, it seems we need to go through this all over again.

1 million miles or not, a brushless electric motor is a lot less likely to break than an ICE due to age or usage.
No gaskets or spark plugs to replace and no oil changes.
And no coolant runs thru the motor.
nice...

Sigh. Here we go again.
  • Incorrect, coolant runs through the motor. And the drive inverter. And the battery.
  • Correct, there are no spark plugs.
  • Incorrect, there are gaskets. You better hope they hold up, because the motor is not a serviceable unit unlike a gas engine.
  • Correct, there are no possible oil changes. There are however oils/greases. You better hope they hold up, because the motor is not a serviceable unit unlike a gas engine.
If the valve cover on our Honda Fit leaks, I can go buy a valve cover gasket (or perhaps the cover if it cracked) for some tens of dollars most likely. If something leaks on that sealed Model 3 motor, I guess I have to fork out well over a thousand dollars because a non-serviceable but critical part failed. If I need to replace spark plugs on the Fit, I can also do that for tens of dollars. If a winding shorts inside the Model 3 motor... you get the idea.

I get that arguing which is better (maintainable but more complicated vs. not maintainable but simpler) can go on forever, but it's at least not as black and white as less likely to break == better.

Reactions: SlimJim
Incorrect, there are gaskets. You better hope they hold up, because the motor is not a serviceable unit unlike a gas engine.
Yep. Right now the drive unit is one part number so if a gasket fails you've got to replace the entire thing. I imagine if this actually becomes a problem on out of warranty Model 3 Tesla will start selling gaskets or there will be third party options.
Electric motors do run way cooler so I'd expect the gaskets to last much longer.
Correct, there are no possible oil changes. There are however oils/greases. You better hope they hold up, because the motor is not a serviceable unit unlike a gas engine.
There is oil in the drive unit and an external oil filter. It is serviceable without replacing the entire drive unit.
"Gearbox fluid recommended" warning

Reactions: SlimJim