Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million mile motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone remember that claim? Seems some owners have had to replace motors under 100,000 miles due to drive train problems. Soo, what sort of problems? Bearing failure, spline wear, gear wear, pump failure, etc.?

If you have had to have a motor or drive train replaced, post about it below. Also, if you know the cause of failure, post that too.

Keep on revvin',
Bill

I had my front drive replaced about 2500 miles from oscillating noise/decel clunk. No idea what the failure was just replaced entire drive (line replaceable unit). I don’t think we’ll find much info about what the actual failure is, as they don’t replace individual pieces, just modular units (LRU).

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
For Tesla to go a million miles in a Model 3 probably required multiple drivers driving the same car in shifts. That is different from a car that is driven twice a day. While the car sits, oil drains to the lowest level and components reach ambient temperature. The drive train is then subject to heavy loads while components are still at ambient temps. The latter will produce more wear with less miles.

Yes, but with how much $$$$ in maintenance to get to 300K.

Having owned a bought used Model S about 2.5 years I am going to tell you your ideas about the lack of repairs and maintenance on an EV are delusion not reality.

My wife has a 2014 Impala which is no longer crappy rental but lower end of the luxury market.
It is more reliable and cheaper to own than the S with more miles on it. Ignoring purchase and insurance costs even.
EVs have different things that still fail, chargers, MCU, battery heater on some etc. Plenty still goes wrong.

What's up with the people on this forum?? I literally copy and pasted what I posted from the Tesla.com home page at the time I posted that.

People like you just like to start arguments.

Model 3 | Tesla

Scroll down to blue Model 3, read and comprehend, and come back to us with your crazy explanation that you are still right and I am wrong (in your own mind).

I stand corrected. I now see on the model 3 page where it says what you quoted. The portion I pasted was from the model 3 configuration page. We all make mistakes, no need to get upset and/or question my motivation.

No actually I have not seen any S or X since on this forum 18 months. I know a while back S’s had lots of problems. I’ve seen at least 6 Model 3 motors or more. I didn’t keep track. But eyebrow raising. Quite a few were what appeared to be unrelated issues but the fix ends up being a new drive unit. Quite a few batteries too. I don’t know the exact stats on either. I know things lean toward complaints on forums. But I also know there are folks with new drive units and batteries that also never posted here.
Here were about 1.5 dozen Model 3's that needed their drive units replaced: Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts... I posted that in March 2019. In Nov 2019, I pointed to 3 more I found at 24 Months of Model 3 - How is Reliability?.

One of the folks I pointed to is in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
First year production usually has more issues than later production.

Manufacturers learn from warranty claims, and make running changes to reduce those expenses in the future.

Believe the Million Mile vehicle is a not yet realized hope. Million mile vehicle may just mean that it is possible, but still may require cost effective replacements, repairs and maintenance along the way. No way the tires are going to last the million miles etc.

"Your car can drive on either motor, so you never need to worry about getting stuck on the road. If one motor stops working, you can safely continue to your destination with the second."

From what I have read, that's not even true as the whole car can be disabled by a failed drive unit

One of the reasons I got my AWD was because if one motor failed then the other could get me home, but you're saying that's not true? This is the first I've heard of it. Can you link some references?

For Tesla to go a million miles in a Model 3 probably required multiple drivers driving the same car in shifts. That is different from a car that is driven twice a day. While the car sits, oil drains to the lowest level and components reach ambient temperature. The drive train is then subject to heavy loads while components are still at ambient temps. The latter will produce more wear with less miles.

This privatier Hansjoerg in Germany who drives 600km a day has over 1 million km on his model S. Though I do think he had his drive unit replaced at some point.

Afaik there were some people who did have a damaged rear motor and the car did let them drive on the front motor only.

Having owned a bought used Model S about 2.5 years I am going to tell you your ideas about the lack of repairs and maintenance on an EV are delusion not reality.

My wife has a 2014 Impala which is no longer crappy rental but lower end of the luxury market.
It is more reliable and cheaper to own than the S with more miles on it. Ignoring purchase and insurance costs even.
EVs have different things that still fail, chargers, MCU, battery heater on some etc. Plenty still goes wrong.
What ideas are those? I never mentioned anything about my ideas of EV ownership.

One of the reasons I got my AWD was because if one motor failed then the other could get me home, but you're saying that's not true? This is the first I've heard of it. Can you link some references?

There have been several folks with AWD that lost everything when one drive unit went. I think if you lose the front your ok. But if you lose rear your done. Probably because car is rear biased.

The average person drives around 12,000 miles per year. So it would take 83 years of driving your Model 3 to find out if Elon’s claim is true. I know I personally won’t be around to test his theory.
I drive a lot and planning to roll the miles on as fast I can. Already over 6K miles in 2.5 months. I'll report here any major service issues and looking forward to years of trouble-free enjoyment. (fingers crossed)

Reactions: Phlier