Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine's a 2016 Genesis compact spare. Make sure it's 18", 135/80/18. The sellers know the 18s are in demand, so they're more expensive than the 17". You have to be patient when looking, and factor in the shipping. Some sellers will drop their price, but then add a big shipping fee. Look for ones near you, you may be able to snag one from a local seller who has dropped their price and just pick it up. Patience is key.

Anyone need 67.1mm to 64.1mm adapter rings, I'll send you one of my 3 extras. No need for everyone to spend $10.

Reactions: photog72 and vickh
Thx. Looks like I'll stick to Genesis since I don't want to be drilling etc or maybe R350 depending on what wobble bolts are.

What model years for Genesis/ R350 ?

You're mistaken. The Genesis has the same wheel specs as the Sonata. They will require drilling to expand the holes. Refer to post #64

If you don't want to do worry about wobble bolts or reaming, your options are:
- Maserati Ghibli spare Tire (2017)
- Modern Spare
- Bimmerzone Spare

You can't find the Maserati spare for cheap anymore, expect to pay around $250. The other spares are around $300 each.
If you get the Maserati tire you'll still need to find the right center bore adapter rings and jack kit, as well as a portable inflator.

From the way you've been asking your questions, it sounds like you're not mechanically inclined. I suggest you not sought out the cheaper options and just get a spare tire kit from Modern Spare so you won't get stuck with the wrong choices.

You're mistaken. The Genesis has the same wheel specs as the Sonata. They will require drilling to expand the holes. Refer to post #64

- Modern Spare
- Bimmerzone Spare

You can't find the Maserati spare for cheap anymore, expect to pay around $250. The other spares are around $300 each.
If you get the Maserati tire you'll still need to find the right center bore adapter rings and jack kit, as well as a portable inflator.

From the way you've been asking your questions, it sounds like you're not mechanically inclined. I suggest you not sought out the cheaper options and just get a spare tire kit from Modern Spare so you won't get stuck with the wrong choices.

Thanks! I have AAA and only would need the spare, not the kit. Will review post #64.

Also have a compact 2011 Sonata spare and the 67.1mm to 64.1mm (Thx to KenC!) already.

Just throwing the idea out there.

Bought a Hyundai Equus (ad said ’13-‘16) 19x4 spare with a 155/70R19 tire for 70 shipped. The tire is almost exactly the same diameter as the 20” Performance tires. Bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Weight shouldn’t be a problem since an Equus is heavier than a Model 3. I’m hoping that it’ll clear the Performance brakes. I’ll report back when I get a chance to try it out. (May take a while.)

Reactions: photog72

Bought a Hyundai Equus (ad said ’13-‘16) 19x4 spare with a 155/70R19 tire for 70 shipped. The tire is almost exactly the same diameter as the 20” Performance tires. Bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Weight shouldn’t be a problem since an Equus is heavier than a Model 3. I’m hoping that it’ll clear the Performance brakes. I’ll report back when I get a chance to try it out. (May take a while.)

Sounds good. Please let us know.

If the my check on some wheel sites is correct that Equus also uses M12 size wheel studs. Be prepared to enlarge them

Similar to @Daniel in SD I had to take a 5/8th reamer to enlarge the holes. I was worried because the stock wheel lug size opening is larger than 5/8th, but there was plenty of room with just 5/8th size holes. I wouldn't want to run a full set of rims permanently, that I reamed out, but for a temporary spare I'm comfortable with doing it.

- Modern Spare
- Bimmerzone Spare

I have the Genesis 18 inch spare and I practiced putting it on the rear of the car last week. It did not require any reaming or drilling though I'll admit it was a snug fit. I also own the adapter rings.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
If the my check on some wheel sites is correct that Equus also uses M12 size wheel studs. Be prepared to enlarge them

Similar to @Daniel in SD I had to take a 5/8th reamer to enlarge the holes. I was worried because the stock wheel lug size opening is larger than 5/8th, but there was plenty of room with just 5/8th size holes. I wouldn't want to run a full set of rims permanently, that I reamed out, but for a temporary spare I'm comfortable with doing it.
Thanks for the heads up. I’m finding 12mm studs for the Equus as well. Reaming it out wouldn’t concern me either. In a case I need to use a spare, I’ll be driving slowly anyway. The loss of material shouldn’t be an issue.

Received the 19" spare today. Looks like the studs won't have a problem; the holes are coming in at ~18.8mm. Might pick up a 67.1mm to 64.1mm adapter ring since this rim is close to 67mm for the hub. Below is a link to images in full resolution if you're interested. Won't be able to try them on a car until the car arrives; ETA is still 5-7 weeks.

Index of /images/tesla_spare

Received the 19" spare today. Looks like the studs won't have a problem; the holes are coming in at ~18.8mm. Might pick up a 67.1mm to 64.1mm adapter ring since this rim is close to 67mm for the hub. Below is a link to images in full resolution if you're interested. Won't be able to try them on a car until the car arrives; ETA is still 5-7 weeks.

Index of /images/tesla_spare

Lucky guy! The holes in my wheel measured the same 13.75mm or so that @Daniel in SD measured.

Correction: no, they are not the same diameter. This tire should be ~1” taller. I’ll wait until I get to test fit the wheel in the car, but I may install a 135/70R19 instead.