Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked, only sentry mode, valet mode and speed limit mode. May be I don't have that as it is a lease car? or Not sure whether I have to do anything in driver profile?

I think with a lease car then the leasing company are registered with Tesla as the owner then they add you as an authorised driver, so you lose access to some options - upgrades for example - as you're not the "admin".

I'm not sure that I agree. Jobs had realised that, if he could make it work, a system for controlling a smart phone using fingers on the screen would provide a far more versatile interface. With auto wipe and auto high beam, the user derives no advantage from the underlying technology unless it provides a better result. Given that these systems, for example as implemented on my BMW 540i, work flawlessly using existing technology, there can be no advantage in developing an alternative way of trying to achieve the exact same thing.
My interpretation is this:

1) Those sensors (auto wipers, auto high-beam) are made by companies like Bosch, and I'm guessing Tesla always had a goal to minimise dependency on 3rd party suppliers.
2) The above, along with hubris about what would be possible with AI. The decision to not include the 3rd party sensors was made from the outset (in theory there is no room up there for another sensor without redesigning the housing and the front windshield, thus creating different specs, duplicating inventory required, etc). The fact that solving auto-wipers with AI using only vision has turned out to be more difficult than imagined means we get to live with the half-baked results while they eventually figure it out (there's no doubt in my mind that they will eventually get there).
3) "There can be no advantage in developing an alternative way" is behind COUNTLESS inventions throughout history I'm sure. Yes, it's annoying that we have to live through the process, but I take it as part of the experience of being along for the ride with Elon Musk and his crazy mind.

Reactions: spdpsba
My interpretation is this:

1) Those sensors (auto wipers, auto high-beam) are made by companies like Bosch, and I'm guessing Tesla always had a goal to minimise dependency on 3rd party suppliers.

I don't think that argument holds much water to be honest, even supercar builders buy significant quantities of their parts from third parties. Tesla, like others, effectively fit third party components to a body and drivetrain that they make; why would you concentrate on replacing a rain sensor when you buy in tyres, brakes, all of your chips, the 12v battery, airbags, seatbelts, window motors and numerous other components?

2) The above, along with hubris about what would be possible with AI. The decision to not include the 3rd party sensors was made from the outset (in theory there is no room up there for another sensor without redesigning the housing and the front windshield, thus creating different specs, duplicating inventory required, etc). The fact that solving auto-wipers with AI using only vision has turned out to be more difficult than imagined means we get to live with the half-baked results while they eventually figure it out (there's no doubt in my mind that they will eventually get there).

The thing is, they've just stopped using the ultrasonic sensors that have been fitted to all vehicles until recently in favour of vision only for FSD; that means they could have done exactly the same for the wipers and headlights then stopped using the third party sensors (and stopped fitting them) in favour of the vision system when they got that working.

I think - I hope - you're right that Tesla's AI will eventually be better than those sensors, but in the meantime we're stuck with this rubbish system that sometimes works perfectly and sometimes behaves as if it isn't even fitted and you never know which one you're going to get from one minute to the next.

So getting back on topic with the whole app thing...

Over the last few days I have noticed that the "miles added during last charge" is not locked to Kw added at last charge. There is also now a discrepancy between the Widget/Notifications and the App. When I wake up i am now getting notifications that say "charging to 79% completed at [time]" and when i go into the charge level and limit is 80%. When i then close the app the widget updates and says 79%.

So getting back on topic with the whole app thing...

Over the last few days I have noticed that the "miles added during last charge" is not locked to Kw added at last charge. There is also now a discrepancy between the Widget/Notifications and the App. When I wake up i am now getting notifications that say "charging to 79% completed at [time]" and when i go into the charge level and limit is 80%. When i then close the app the widget updates and says 79%.

I see the same, the widget and notification is always showing 1% under.

Reactions: khew1988