Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 updates? Or what would you guys like to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the car is near perfect it only needs 3 things, all optional.

1. Optional Air suspension.
2. M3P power boost (aka Long range boost.
3. Premium Plus interior. Alcantara headliner, dash and parcel shelf, non scratch door card plastics, carbon fiber inserts with ambient lighting.

Reactions: XPsionic
I just want to see a proper “Drag Mode” that allows us to precondition the Performance models for maximum acceleration. I have seen a 10%+ increase in Horsepower at higher speeds with a properly preconditioned car vs. one that is not preconditioned.

I don’t even need a boost pack for the Performance cars. There is a ton of extra horsepower that most people don’t take advantage of already. I just want an easy way to access it.

That and I want the “Stealth/Sleeper” model to come back. I hate the 20” UberHeavy wheels and Pirelli tires. Give use 235/45/18 PS4S tires on the Aero wheels. I don’t even need the bigger brakes either.

My wishlist:

Laminated rear glass
Improved sound deadening throughout
Ventilated seats
Firmer/denser foam in seats
Passenger lumbar returns
Data support added back to center console USB-C ports
Improved range
Redesigned HVAC to accommodate HEPA filter
Auto open/close frunk
Just bought a 2022 Model 3…dual motor AWD. Since I got AWD & white seats…this comes with some additional things. Fog Lights, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, Dual Motor badge on back…the premium interior package…13 speakers includes a small subwoofer, front footwell & lights in the doors with Auto, On or Off feature.
It has double paned windows, the seat material is soft, yet feels solid & comfortable & I think the material breathes; so to speak. Both front seats have Lumbar support, it has 4 USB-C ports…2 hidden in console area & 2 in back below AC vents. 12 volt socket in console area.
& other stuff. Check it out online

I'm part of a local Tesla club in my area that a couple of our Tesla locations' SAs are members of as well.

One of them tipped us that the model 3 will be getting a refresh this upcoming year. I’m inclined to believe it too since four years is coming up on the Model 3. The Model S was introduced in 2012 I think and got a refresh in 2016, and then another in 2020.

HARDWARE:
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Hard roof option, looks nice, but not fond of the heat coming through that glass.
  • Framed door windows
  • Door opening that you can use with one finger for when your hands are full. I like the Mach-E approach, although I don't like the idea of any actuators for door opening. Pure mechanical is best. M-3 hasn't had many issues, but I see M-S handle failures fairly often here.
  • A spot for a donut spare. Or just make the spot under trunk floor larger. I have the Modern Spare that I bring with on longer trips, but I have to throw it in the trunk, which when road tripping, also needs to be filled with stuff.
  • Front parking camera
  • Wouldn't mind a HUD, but I've gotten used to the single screen.
  • Receiver hitch for a bike rack. Or to pull a tiny trailer, even if it's just a 1000lb limit or something. Would be useful for getting lumber or hauling yard waste/dirt.
  • Camera squirters. (don't google that!) I keep a spray bottle with washer fluid and a squeegee in the frunk, but would be nice if it was automatic.
  • Updated/improved grille shutters. Mine froze up last winter and left me to freeze in the middle of nowhere when the heating quit. Maybe run the fan in reverse while heating the coil to melt the ice? Would only work while stationary though. Or add backup PTC heater.

SOFTWARE:
  • Dumb cruise. Or fix phantom braking. Had very little PB issues around 2022.12, but it has gotten worse again on subsequent updates. Not as bad as before 2022.12, but still annoying.
  • Sirius/XM app, streaming only is fine.
  • Screen all the way off option for camping mode. Also useful for drive-ins.
  • Better "next maneuver" navigation. It's always telling to be in the wrong lane for whatever exit I'm supposed to take. I've found using the exit # instruction is more accurate when it's available. Might be a Google thing though as that's the API it's using.
  • More consistent auto-follow distance, along with better speed-up when passing a slower vehicle using TACC.
  • Track mode for all models. Don't plan to do that really, but I do like to mess around sometimes on freshly fallen snow. Can't do squat with that TC.
  • More shortcuts on bottom bar, and current trip meter widget option like on V10.

Unrelated, release the CCS adapter in the US already!! Need that for some of my remote work sites.

Better "next maneuver" navigation. It's always telling to be in the wrong lane for whatever exit I'm supposed to take. I've found using the exit # instruction is more accurate when it's available. Might be a Google thing though as that's the API it's using.
No, the navigation system does not use the Google API or map data. They are custom made by Tesla based on open source solutions/data.

No, the navigation system does not use the Google API or map data. They are custom made by Tesla based on open source solutions/data.
Well, I thought it used to anyway. So it looks like the actual navigation software is their own, but map data is still brought in from sources like Google and MapBox, along with their own crowd sourced data from what little info I can find. In any case, however they're determining turn-by-turn could be improved.

I'm part of a local Tesla club in my area that a couple of our Tesla locations' SAs are members of as well.

One of them tipped us that the model 3 will be getting a refresh this upcoming year. I’m inclined to believe it too since four years is coming up on the Model 3. The Model S was introduced in 2012 I think and got a refresh in 2016, and then another in 2020.
That is very interesting. Any hints on what may change for the upcoming year? There are rumors that Model Y built from China will add a new air bag between the front passages to add extra layer of protection during side impact.