Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 75D..... badge thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By your logic, anyone with a badge is obnoxious, especially those model s and x owners. Everyone should take off their Tesla logo and not have any identifying markers on it.

I get it if we were talking about not filling up the car with a billion bumper stickers. But you are talking about a feature that has been a part of the car for a long time. One could actually argue that at this stage it would still be beneficial to put some lettering (Tesla) in the back, as a lot of people still don't know what they are.

But no, post memes and absurd responses instead. I wonder who are actually the smug people here. It ironically screams "look at how clean my car is!"

Again I'm not mad at the people who want to debadge. I'm mad at the level of ironic hypocracy here.

Not even remotely the same. I did not say everyone should take off their logo, i said they should take the car how its designed....

The Model S/X come included with badges.

The Model 3 does not.
People are literally talking about buying 90D and 85D badges and combining them to reflect the 80 kwh battery in the Model 3.

So yes, it is super obnoxious to create a badge when one wasn't intended in the first place, especially when the OP admits that he only wants to do it so people know what he's driving. He's doing it for other's benefits, not his own.

There is a world of difference between removing the badges a car ships with and adding badges the car never shipped with to make sure people know you bought the more expensive version.

Why then does the bmw m series ship with the m badge? Oh I don't know, maybe to distinguish the car from the other trim lines? Yes there are other features (like the spoiler, suspension, etc) but it's there. i don't understand why the S and X are "entitled" to show up that they bought the more expensive version simply by virtue of being a Model S and X. Why does the 100D get the privilege that a Model 3 AWD doesn't?

as we're bringing in more people from like the bmw and mercedes market, more people will notice those things so they are going to start asking those questions. i don't expect Tesla to add badges, and right now I'm fine with it, though I wouldn't mind something (not the number though). Just understand that the demographic is going to be shifting now with the Model 3 and the smugness can't continue forever. Can't wait to see the potential storm that comes through with the 35k version...

You're equating people making fun of the need to impress by hunting down badges that were never included with or intended for the car with people who just leave well enough alone. I believe most people who are making fun are basing it on the OP's admitting that his desire for badging is so that people know he "didn't buy the cheap one." It's the equivalent of wearing 18 gold chains, and big rings on every finger, while sporting a knee length fur coat so that everyone knows you're rich.

As said before, it's your car. Do what you want with it. If having an aftermarket badge pleases you go for it. But if you're doing it to impress others it's just sad.

Except that in this car we're not showing off stuff we don't have, we are actually showing off what the car has. We're not pretending to be a fake mongul, the car does actually have that size battery. It's not like we bought a Subaru WRX non-STI and then stuck on the STI logo and giant spoiler.

I am amazed that in this forum everyone is talking about aftermarket rims, wraps/PPF, super expensive tint, etc without batting an eye. a lot of people do take it further and go and show off their car explicitly as well for various reasons. are you looping them into the same group as showboating?

but as soon as someone dares talk about adding the badge (even though I don't necessarily want the number designation myself) people start talking as if a short insulted Elon Musk again. For a lot of people a model 3 is the most expensive car they've ever may, so you have to at least see where they're coming from and why they may want this. (financially responsible, that's another thing).

Why then does the bmw m series ship with the m badge? Oh I don't know, maybe to distinguish the car from the other trim lines? Yes there are other features (like the spoiler, suspension, etc) but it's there. i don't understand why the S and X are "entitled" to show up that they bought the more expensive version simply by virtue of being a Model S and X. Why does the 100D get the privilege that a Model 3 AWD doesn't?

as we're bringing in more people from like the bmw and mercedes market, more people will notice those things so they are going to start asking those questions. i don't expect Tesla to add badges, and right now I'm fine with it, though I wouldn't mind something (not the number though). Just understand that the demographic is going to be shifting now with the Model 3 and the smugness can't continue forever. Can't wait to see the potential storm that comes through with the 35k version...

You just keep shooting your own arguments in the foot. The M Series does ship with the badges. IT SHIPS WITH THEM. People don't go out and buy badges for their cars. And when they do buy M badges to put on non-M cars they get ridiculed by actual M enthusiasts.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to justify your insecurities to us. You want badges that don't come on the car just get them and put them on. And if we want to laugh at you we will.

Except that in this car we're not showing off stuff we don't have, we are actually showing off what the car has. We're not pretending to be a fake mongul, the car does actually have that size battery. It's not like we bought a Subaru WRX non-STI and then stuck on the STI logo and giant spoiler.

I am amazed that in this forum everyone is talking about aftermarket rims, wraps/PPF, super expensive tint, etc without batting an eye. a lot of people do take it further and go and show off their car explicitly as well for various reasons. are you looping them into the same group as showboating?

but as soon as someone dares talk about adding the badge (even though I don't necessarily want the number designation myself) people start talking as if a short insulted Elon Musk again. For a lot of people a model 3 is the most expensive car they've ever may, so you have to at least see where they're coming from and why they may want this. (financially responsible, that's another thing).

I'm putting aftermarket rims, PPF, Tint and chrome delete on my Model 3 for me, and me alone. I am doing it because it's aesthetically pleasing to me. If you like it, that's fine. But I couldn't give two damns what you, or anyone else thinks about my car.

Your need to have badging is nothing more than a sign that says, "Hey look how much money I spent. I didn't just buy the $35,000 model. I bought the $60,000 model. See me? Aren't I cool?"

Personally I like to keep with how the mfg intended as far as badges go. I don't remove badges, hell to the NO on adding new badges.

Though my P Model 3 comes with no badges AND the Dual Motor badge is ugly.. I may omit putting that on.

Reactions: rdlink
I think the AWD badge is good. When you are out driving in a heavy snow it lets people know you are not a total idiot.
I'm sure most people around here will see "Dual Motor" as meaning it has a two cylinder engine.

Good point cause a "total idiot" would never buy an AWD vehicle. I have seen plenty partial idiots thinking they own an AWD vehicle so they can drive in heavy snow like it was a sunny day.

Reactions: rdlink
I know this is going to cause a discussion. I understand that tesla is purposely keeping the battery designation out of the name of the model 3 variants, I am new to the tesla brand. That being said, being someone who is a car lover and anxiously awaiting my model 3 long range dual motor, i see there being some use in the conventional model naming. There will be short range variants, so 3D does nothing to distinguish the range. model 3 310D is a confusing mouthful. I am of the opinion that there isn't a bad model or variant of tesla cars. they are all very impressive and unique. Each one is a part of our life stories and personalities. I am rambling, sure, but don't be surprised if you see a model 3 with a 75D badge, or even a P75D that owners have placed on themselves. Thoughts?......

Go for it if you like it ... looks like an improvement over the OEM dual motor badge :cool:
Emblem Word P75D PD 75 Badge P75D Decal For Auto Car Sedan Tesla Model 3 Sport | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: austinmichaeld
Go for it if you like it ... looks like an improvement over the OEM dual motor badge :cool:
Emblem Word P75D PD 75 Badge P75D Decal For Auto Car Sedan Tesla Model 3 Sport | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

That will definitely catch the people's attention. It will definitely catch my attention! For microsecond, I would be like "What P75D? When did that exist?"

OP want the badge so bad, why not go further and just get the P85D?

Believe it or not, the battery size is somewhat bigger in P3D than in P85D.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
Good point cause a "total idiot" would never buy an AWD vehicle. I have seen plenty partial idiots thinking they own an AWD vehicle so they can drive in heavy snow like it was a sunny day.

This.

And given the ability to buy winter tires, along with the Model 3's electronic traction control there is nothing at all wrong with driving a RWD in snow.

Reactions: TT97
Why then does the bmw m series ship with the m badge? Oh I don't know, maybe to distinguish the car from the other trim lines?

Right, BMW chooses to differentiate the model just like Tesla is going to differentiate performance versions with a carbon spoiler and a red underlined "dual motor" badge.

Most people buying an M series car don't then go and put some other indicator on their M series car like a flashing neon sign that tells everybody they bought the M version.

i don't understand why the S and X are "entitled" to show up that they bought the more expensive version simply by virtue of being a Model S and X. Why does the 100D get the privilege that a Model 3 AWD doesn't?

Ah, so this is an entitlement issue, eh? The people who spent more on an S or an X are "entitled" to have a badge showing which version car they shelled out for but us poor Model 3 cheapskates don't have the pleasure? Pretty silly if you ask me.

as we're bringing in more people from like the bmw and mercedes market, more people will notice those things so they are going to start asking those questions.

Maybe you ask those questions, I don't, and I've owned some pretty nice cars.

i don't expect Tesla to add badges, and right now I'm fine with it, though I wouldn't mind something (not the number though). Just understand that the demographic is going to be shifting now with the Model 3 and the smugness can't continue forever. Can't wait to see the potential storm that comes through with the 35k version...

What smugness is that? The smugness of me not giving a crap that there's almost nothing to differentiate my $60,000 Model 3 from one someone spent $35,000 on? I don't care and most other customers probably don't care either.

What "storm" with the $35K version are you referring to? Would that be the storm of the person who buys the cheapest Tesla and then spends another $15,000 on rims, aftermarket body kits, neon lighting kits, etc., because they are insecure that they bought the lowest end one?

We already see this crap all the freaking time from people who buy a $35,000 320i and then spend another $15,000 on crap to try to impress people. Most of us just don't care. Most of us who do notice simply laugh at their insecurity

I was driving into the office a couple of weeks ago and there was a BMW with an M body kit (same as what my 340i has) pacing me a good chunk of the way there. He's slip ahead of me then change lanes and back off, then do it again. His car was de-badged, had a body kit, expensive rims. Probably a teenager.

I observed that he had the low end crap halogen lights though and that was the giveaway that he had a 320i. Maybe he needs to shell out another few grand and upgrade those[/quote]

This.

And given the ability to buy winter tires, along with the Model 3's electronic traction control there is nothing at all wrong with driving a RWD in snow.
In heavy snow? I do not agree with that. I've owned front and rear wheel drive cars with snow tires and they do not compare with AWD with snow tires. I'm over 50 and have driven in over 35 winter seasons. Ice doesn't matter but heavy snow (meaning 6+ inches) is a different world between RWD and AWD with the same set of tires.

In heavy snow? I do not agree with that. I've owned front and rear wheel drive cars with snow tires and they do not compare with AWD with snow tires. I'm over 50 and have driven in over 35 winter seasons. Ice doesn't matter but heavy snow (meaning 6+ inches) is a different world between RWD and AWD with the same set of tires.

Well, I'm over 55, and have driven in over 25 winter seasons, so...

• Funny
Reactions: TT97 and Maximilien
While winter tires help RWD cars do better in the snow, winter tires on AWD are much better in the snow. This is why Subaru is so popular in the mountain states. Simply amazed at how well my X does in snow and off road. The peddle control with electric drive gives far better control that any ICE system.

Right, BMW chooses to differentiate the model just like Tesla is going to differentiate performance versions with a carbon spoiler and a red underlined "dual motor" badge.

Most people buying an M series car don't then go and put some other indicator on their M series car like a flashing neon sign that tells everybody they bought the M version.

A hypothetical battery size/trimline badge is not like sticking a giant VTEC sticker on the back of the car. The badge is aiming to be more of an OEM look.

Ah, so this is an entitlement issue, eh? The people who spent more on an S or an X are "entitled" to have a badge showing which version car they shelled out for but us poor Model 3 cheapskates don't have the pleasure? Pretty silly if you ask me.

What made you the gatekeeper of what can and cannot be placed on cars? Why are you holding back a fellow owner from putting on a badge just because they disagree with a tesla design decision?

Maybe you ask those questions, I don't, and I've owned some pretty nice cars.

What smugness is that? The smugness of me not giving a crap that there's almost nothing to differentiate my $60,000 Model 3 from one someone spent $35,000 on? I don't care and most other customers probably don't care either.

What "storm" with the $35K version are you referring to? Would that be the storm of the person who buys the cheapest Tesla and then spends another $15,000 on rims, aftermarket body kits, neon lighting kits, etc., because they are insecure that they bought the lowest end one?

We already see this crap all the freaking time from people who buy a $35,000 320i and then spend another $15,000 on crap to try to impress people. Most of us just don't care. Most of us who do notice simply laugh at their insecurity

We're not talking about spending 15k on a cheapo car. We're talking about spending <100 to put simple lettering on there to differentiate the trimline.

I was driving into the office a couple of weeks ago and there was a BMW with an M body kit (same as what my 340i has) pacing me a good chunk of the way there. He's slip ahead of me then change lanes and back off, then do it again. His car was de-badged, had a body kit, expensive rims. Probably a teenager.

I observed that he had the low end crap halogen lights though and that was the giveaway that he had a 320i. Maybe he needs to shell out another few grand and upgrade those/

I can see where you hate is flowing from. You look at what others did to their cars and immediately project it onto someone who wants to do a lot less.

A hypothetical battery size/trimline badge is not like sticking a giant VTEC sticker on the back of the car. The badge is aiming to be more of an OEM look.

Right, but the entire point of what you are doing is so that people know you got a more expensive version, which is pretty shallow.

What made you the gatekeeper of what can and cannot be placed on cars? Why are you holding back a fellow owner from putting on a badge just because they disagree with a tesla design decision?

I'm not your gatekeeper, it's your car, do whatever the hell you want... just don't be surprised when you see other owners rolling their eyes about it.

We're not talking about spending 15k on a cheapo car. We're talking about spending <100 to put simple lettering on there to differentiate the trimline.

Again, you want to differentiate it because you're insecure and vain that someone out there might mistake your car for a lower end one. Pretty shallow... but your car, do what you want.

Does it really bother you guys THAT much that someone might mistake your $60K-$75K version of the car for one that someone spent $35K on when those come out next year?

I'd say that says a lot more about you than it says about me when I shrug and giggle about it.

I'm buying the higher end car because it's what I want... I don't give a rat's ass if someone thinks my car only cost $35K.

I can see where you hate is flowing from. You look at what others did to their cars and immediately project it onto someone who wants to do a lot less.

Not hate so much as thoughts resonating within my brain of "poser".