Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is total bollocks. Australia has a pretty much bulletproof grid, in most areas. In fact it has been way overbuilt.

I don't know anything about the grid but if what you're saying is true and what they're saying is also true (as far as being limited to lower charging speeds in Australia) then I suspect the real reason probably doesn't have anything to do with the Grid being capable and more with maybe Tesla not being willing to pay for any 'demand charges' that they would have to pay if the total power being drawn simultaneously exceeds a certain threshold.

Similar issues with the lack of internet browser in Australia. They cite "regulations" (although I've never heard that from them officially) but I am willing to bet a million bucks that it has more to do with their contract with Telstra who provides the 4G LTE connectivity rather than any legislation which magically doesn't seem to limit any other auto manufacturer.

That is total bollocks. Australia has a pretty much bulletproof grid, in most areas. In fact it has been way overbuilt.
I'm just quoting the Tesla technicians that were setting up the Superchargers. They also told me that dealing with AusNet delayed both the Euroa permanent SC location and also Ovens 'by a considerable time'. I guess you'll find out in a few weeks

Incidentally, I bumped into the Tesla charging team at the Euroa chargers today, they were updating the final pair of charging stations to CCS. They said that there isn't the grid stability in Australia to get the maximum charge rate from Model 3, so the local maximums will be lower than the US and Europe

I guess Chargefox are using a different national grid that doesn't have stability issues.

Reactions: Nooodle
I guess Chargefox are using a different national grid that doesn't have stability issues.
In order for Superchargers to achieve the maximum 150kW output, they have to have the grid voltage exactly correct. At many Supercharger locations in the USA, they have installed buck-boost transformers in front of each Supercharger cabinet so that they can fine tune the voltage based on the utility transformer and local grid voltage. If the Australian grid has looser tolerances on the time varying grid distribution voltage, then it will be impossible for Tesla to use the same technique to get the ideal voltage to the Superchargers. In any case, I think it should be possible for them to maintain the prior 120kW max that the V2 system used to be limited to.

But there seems to be plenty of confirmation that the Standard Range Plus which I'm getting is limited by a 7.7kW onboard charger:
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus specs, photos, price, offers and incentives
What is the fastest model 3 charge rate other than Supercharger

Assuming this is true for the SR+, I wonder what the real world impact to charging times would be... I thought the claimed max charge rates always taper off after the battery capacity hits 60-70%. Does that only apply for the DC fast charging or also to AC charging via the inverter?

Assuming this is true for the SR+, I wonder what the real world impact to charging times would be... I thought the claimed max charge rates always taper off after the battery capacity hits 60-70%. Does that only apply for the DC fast charging or also to AC charging via the inverter?
Practically speaking, the kW limit is the same at the same SOC regardless of charging method. However, since AC charging is limited to 11kW, you have to get to very high SOC for the battery taper to be seen at that low level. I'm pretty sure it's more than 95% on a Model 3 LR, maybe slightly less on a SR+. Probably still more than 90% on all Tesla cars. Even the 41kWh Tesla pack on my RAV4 EV requires more than 90% to drop below 9kW