Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So would any one know what charge adapters we would likely to get with car and what we should be purchasing ?
Have found this guide page but is out of date for Model 3 requirements.
Tesla Charging Options for Australia
No adapters usually supplied with the car. I don’t think you’ll really need any, unless you want to use a Type 1 Charger (older ChargePoint ones) or 3-phase Chargers if you’re going remote!

• Informative
Reactions: Dakah3
So would any one know what charge adapters we would likely to get with car and what we should be purchasing ?
Have found this guide page but is out of date for Model 3 requirements.
Tesla Charging Options for Australia
If you never leave town you won’t need anything. If you have a favourite holiday place or regularly visit a place further than 200 Km from home use your PlugShare app to find the charge points in that area and on the road to and from; this will tell ou what adapters you will need.
Probably the only adapter I would get is a J1772 (Type 1) to Type2 adapter such as this EV Adapter Barrel Type 1 to Type 2 32A
If you intend to travel a lot when you get the car you may also consider the adapter kit to allow Tesla Mobile Connector to charge from 3Phase PowerPoints such as Tesla UMC Adapter

• Informative
Reactions: Dakah3
I’m getting very confused by the charging discussion so might have to start googling. I have a friend who installed a 3 phase for his S a couple of hours away but now I’m thinking if I drive the 3 there i wont be able to use it to charge unless I have some sort of adapter right?

I’m getting very confused by the charging discussion so might have to start googling. I have a friend who installed a 3 phase for his S a couple of hours away but now I’m thinking if I drive the 3 there i wont be able to use it to charge unless I have some sort of adapter right?
If your friend has a Model S, he should have the proper charging equipment already for charging the S from the 3-phase supply. You should be able to plug in the 3 to the same equipment.

If you never leave town you won’t need anything. If you have a favourite holiday place or regularly visit a place further than 200 Km from home use your PlugShare app to find the charge points in that area and on the road to and from; this will tell ou what adapters you will need.
Probably the only adapter I would get is a J1772 (Type 1) to Type2 adapter such as this EV Adapter Barrel Type 1 to Type 2 32A
If you intend to travel a lot when you get the car you may also consider the adapter kit to allow Tesla Mobile Connector to charge from 3Phase PowerPoints such as Tesla UMC Adapter

Just a word of caution on the adapter barrel (which you can also buy on Alibaba). When we were looking to manufacture our own we found that on the Model S it stuck out WAY too much and was a safety hazard. Also increased the chance of people bumping into it or cars scraping against it. SO we opted to stay with the old style cabled adapter.

Next question, I’m building a house at the moment and am getting 3 phase into the garage for charging the M3.

Is there any difference in charging speed between a fixed wall charger connected to 3 phase and a mobile charger using a 3 phase adapter?

Next question, I’m building a house at the moment and am getting 3 phase into the garage for charging the M3.

Is there any difference in charging speed between a fixed wall charger connected to 3 phase and a mobile charger using a 3 phase adapter?
In Europe, the Model 3 has been delivered with the Gen2 Mobile Connector. Tesla is not selling plugs for the Gen2 Mobile Connector that support 3-phase as far as I know. People will have to see exactly what is supplied with the Model 3 cars in Australia, but I would not be surprised if the Mobile Connector is only supplied with a single phase plug adapter and no option is provided for Mobile 3-phase. The Tesla Wall Connector (or 3rd party equipment) is probably your only option for 3-phase.

The Model 3 will only take up to 16A three phase. I have not yet seen what charging limitation is imposed on SR+ in Europe. In North America it's 32A single phase instead of 48A single phase.

If the Gen1 Mobile connector was available to you and you got the Euro 3-phase adapter and an adapter to Australian 3-phase plug, you would get up to 16A 3-phase, which matches the capability of the car.

It’s my understanding the M3 will have the ccs2 plug. Isn’t that different from the S and X? So, if someone has an S or X already, will they be able use their already installed home wall charger?

Yes, the type 2 plug from existing wall chargers will plug into CCS2 port on the Model 3
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 8.18.43 am.png

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
In Europe, the Model 3 has been delivered with the Gen2 Mobile Connector. Tesla is not selling plugs for the Gen2 Mobile Connector that support 3-phase as far as I know. People will have to see exactly what is supplied with the Model 3 cars in Australia, but I would not be surprised if the Mobile Connector is only supplied with a single phase plug adapter and no option is provided for Mobile 3-phase. The Tesla Wall Connector (or 3rd party equipment) is probably your only option for 3-phase.

The Model 3 will only take up to 16A three phase. I have not yet seen what charging limitation is imposed on SR+ in Europe. In North America it's 32A single phase instead of 48A single phase.

If the Gen1 Mobile connector was available to you and you got the Euro 3-phase adapter and an adapter to Australian 3-phase plug, you would get up to 16A 3-phase, which matches the capability of the car.
Thanks for your response, I’m still learning.

f you never leave town you won’t need anything. If you have a favourite holiday place or regularly visit a place further than 200 Km from home use your PlugShare app to find the charge points in that area and on the road to and from; this will tell ou what adapters you will need.
Many thanks, starting to get my head around all these different connectors and different terms used for same type connectors.
Looking around Perth on plugshare it looks the type 2 to type 2 cable may be the most useful as appears to be more common and are what most Macca's here are putting in , and not sure may put out a higher charge rate than J1772?

As you may know, supercharger sites around Australia and New Zealand are being converted to add CCS2 cables for the Model 3. Richmond SC in Victoria is the first cab off the rank.

Here is a spreadsheet which can be used to track which sites (and how many stalls) have been done. The Europeans had a similar sheet. Yes, this one is heavily based on theirs! Given we only have 41 sites total I'm hoping it will be easier to track!

Supercharger CCS Tracker - Australia/New Zealand

• Informative
Reactions: stphw
  • Funny
Reactions: Chuq