Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Troy, I noticed that your spreadsheet makes some assumptions about how the deliveries will take place across the country. Specifically, you make assumptions that California will not be serviced entirely first, but rather with some higher priority. This results in cars being distributed throughout the country before California is finished. While I'm not here to disagree, I would like to know where you got your assumptions for this approach and ask you how strongly you feel that Tesla will, in fact, deliver in the fashion you've modeled. Sorry if this was covered somewhere in the past 59 pages....

@Troy, I noticed that your spreadsheet makes some assumptions about how the deliveries will take place across the country. Specifically, you make assumptions that California will not be serviced entirely first, but rather with some higher priority. This results in cars being distributed throughout the country before California is finished. While I'm not here to disagree, I would like to know where you got your assumptions for this approach and ask you how strongly you feel that Tesla will, in fact, deliver in the fashion you've modeled. Sorry if this was covered somewhere in the past 59 pages....
The assumption was they would make more cars then the service centers can fulfill in cali. This became true today when Tesla sent invites out to some owners across the country including the east coast.

Reactions: Troy
Doesn't really matter where he came up with it we are currently witnessing it happening for previous owners. Just read through some of the invitation threads.

This is only my intuition -- but as a Tesla owner who just reserved @ the end of December 2017 -- I think less priority is now being given to prior Model S/X owners who reserved recently. If this turns out to be true, I would be fine with it, as others have been waiting much longer than me. Again, just pure speculation.

1) Is the global reservation number taking into account west coasters? Since Tesla stores on the east coast opened before the west coast, is your assumption that someone who reserved at 10:05 AM in San Fran gets a better global reservation # than someone who reserved at 10:06 in Boston?

Let's assume there are 37,334 RWD reservations in your region and your place corresponds to 5.07% .th on that list. Therefore your regional queue number would be 37,334 * 0.0507= 1893. To calculate that I needed to know the 5.07% percentage. This percentage needs to work so that you are 0.01% if you reserve as soon as the stores open. Therefore you need to enter your local time if you reserved in store so I can figure out if you have reserved as soon as the stores opened.

2) Can you help me understand where the 37,334 for Rear Wheel Drive option comes in?

It comes from cell L7 on the Data tab here. We know the reservation count because it was released by Tesla. From there I calculated reservations from Eastern states based on what percentage of Model S sales are from that region compared to global sales. Then I calculated RWD/AWD preference based on the model3tracker survey.

3) Your trim level only supports 'Model 3 SR OR LR'

The LR/SR difference is something that complicates the calculations too much. Therefore I didn't add this feature. Hopefully, Tesla will soon start making the Standard Range packs and get rid of the different estimates. The earliest Model 3 SR I have seen reported is Feb 2018 - Apr 2018.

4) How do you get my global production seq no to be 16,604 when there were only 237 employees and 2583 reservations before me? I was allegedly 169th in my region, so how did I bump from 2989 to 16604?

I'm calculating that 2989 .th RWD car in Eastern states corresponds to 16,604 .th Model 3 globally because they start with California and move from west to east. Cell H810 here shows the global count while cell L810 shows the local count. Watch those numbers as you scroll up.

In a blog post Tesla said: "we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets." Source

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
But still I wonder if the owner estimate I'm getting is accurate (Feb 20th 2018)???

I can replicate his results. If I do Dec 31, 2017, 10AM, Non-CA west coast, Tesla Owner, I get 20th Feb, 2018.

Yes, that's correct. A Tesla owner reserving a Model 3 today is expected to get priority over line-waiters. If you change to non-owner, you will immediately go from the front to the back of the entire queue. However, be aware that if you enter 31 March 2016 instead of today and select owner or non-owner, you won't see much of a difference because in this case, the owner is already in front of the queue. Owner/non-owner difference is more if you reserve now but less for early reservations.

@hpartsch, @whatthe2, if you see something unusual, add a screenshot of the problem. Owner priority will move you to the front of the queue regardless of your reservation time or when you became an owner.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
how strongly you feel that Tesla will, in fact, deliver in the fashion you've modeled.

I'm pretty sure the regional priorities will work like this because you can look at Tesla's delivery estimates and see how it works. In the screenshot, you can see that many Central or Eastern reservations show the same estimate as the earliest CA. As the reservation time increases, the estimate changes from Dec to Jan. That shows there is actually a calculation behind this and they are not just displaying the same thing to everybody.

Z651ajW.gif

Specifically, you make assumptions that California will not be serviced entirely first, but rather with some higher priority. ... I would like to know where you got your assumptions for this approach

I created the Estimator in September 2016 and there were no Tesla estimates at that time. Therefore at that time, my assumption was based on common sense. If you look at the message here from October 2016, you can see that I was expecting 2 weeks gaps between regions. My idea was that it wouldn't make sense to overwhelm CA delivery centers with huge numbers while the rest of the US is not delivering any Model 3s. I thought a team from Tesla would travel from region to region and inspect every delivery center before giving the green light. That would take some time but not that much time.

Now I watch the invites to see how it works. Check out column C here. I might need to change owner priorities. I assumed owners would have priority in their region once deliveries start there. However, it looks like Tesla is not waiting for that. They are shipping owner cars anywhere in the US now. Again look at column C on that spreadsheet. I think they are not waiting for delivery centers to be ready because owner cars can be delivered together with S/X anywhere in the US. The numbers are not that big. Only 7% of reservations are from existing owners.

You might say if owner priorities work differently, why didn't you change it until now? Because this is new. The data was added in the last 24 hours. A new batch of invites went out yesterday. Look at the dates in column H.

Here is a map of 24 owners who received invites in the latest batch on 4 January 2018. I assumed the owner priority would only move you to the front of your regional queue and you would still have to wait until Tesla starts production for that region. However, they are not doing this. As you can see, owners from East Coast are getting priority now over line-waiters from California. I need to change how owner priorities work.

4Zw3jUr.gif

The data is from Column B&C here and B&C on the "Not yet configuring" tab. I used this website to create the map.

Last edited: