Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The spreadsheet uses 2,798 RWD employee reservations, not 3,452. I'm not sure where you saw that number. I didn't make any changes to this in the last update yesterday. In search results on row 20, it says "Employee RWD res in California". If you try all 5 USA regions, you get 2,337 + 86 + 41 + 97 + 237= 2,798 for RWD. The total I use for employee reservations is 4,689 units.

However, 2,798 RWD employee reservations are still more than 2,425. Therefore the question is still valid. This is related to SR/LR availability. SR is not available yet but the spreadsheet assumes all RWD versions are available now. This problem will go away once Tesla starts making the SR version, hopefully, next month. That means some of the employees will take delivery when the SR becomes available.
I got 3,452 from row 21 after filling out my info :
Screenshot_20180104-083112.jpg

Am I misinterpreting that number?

I filled out the spreadsheet and it estimates Feb 2019 for delivery. However, according to tesla.com it says May-July 2018. While I am sure I will see more delays from the tesla.com estimates that is a huge disparity in delivery estimates.

Has anyone else seen huge gaps in the delivery estimates?

@insaneoctane, I'm glad you clarified that you saw 3,452 a while ago (more than a week ago) and not recently. I thought you saw it when you asked the question which would imply an error somewhere. The calculations are updated all the time. That was the old number a while ago. In the screenshot, it says Model 3 80 instead of Model 3 LR. That was more than a week ago.

@Chris Clark, can you enter your data here and then enter it again when Tesla updates their estimates? The big difference is probably related to Tesla overestimating RWD interest and under-estimating AWD.

@Troy was kind enough to answer my very similar question yesterday. Here was his response:

“@Migdilio, the LR/SR difference is something that complicates the calculations too much. Therefore I didn't add this feature. Hopefully, Tesla will soon start making the Standard Range packs and get rid of the different estimates. The earliest Model 3 SR I have seen reported is Feb 2018 - Apr 2018.“
Thanks @Migdilio. Cool. Then as I suspected when I saw my estimate it's probably a bit pessimistic as I want an LR. Hopefully I get mine a couple weeks sooner than the beginning of April estimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Callahan
Wow. I didn't realize that the tax incentive was based upon a ticking clock. For some silly reason I thought it was based upon the number of cars sold. Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Well technically it's both. First it's a number, and then it's a ticking clock.

Is it possible their concern is that while Model 3 numbers are ramping slower than expected, Model S and X production continues to grow and get sold, thus reducing from the overall 200,000 number that triggers the timed phase out?

Hi. Here is the latest situation about tax credits:

I'm calculating 162,967 S/X/3 at the end of 2017. The count starts on 1st Jan 2010. My guess is, Tesla sold 590 Roadsters after this date in the USA. So, the total with the Roadster is 163,557. If you check out the insideevs website, it shows 159,671 for the S/X/3. With the 590 Roadsters, that's 160,261. I expect 13,100 S/X deliveries in Q1 in the US and 19,928 Model 3 deliveries (out of 22,410 produced).

Based on my calculation, Tesla will hit 200K on April 6th, 2018. Based on my interpretation of insideevs' numbers, the date is April 15th, 2018. Therefore Q2 is very likely. I'm going to cautiously assume 80% likely. Here is the latest situation:

Pessimistic Scenario (20% likely) (If Tesla delivers more than 23,300 Model 3's in Q1 2018)
  • $7,500 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2018
  • $3,750 for deliveries until Dec 31, 2018
  • $1,875 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2019
Optimistic Scenario (80% likely) (If Tesla delivers less than 23,300 Model 3's in Q1 2018)
  • $7,500 for deliveries until Sep 30, 2018
  • $3,750 for deliveries until Mar 31, 2019
  • $1,875 for deliveries until Sep 30, 2019

First and foremost, thank you OP for creating this estimator - I see you've put a lot of time into developing and maintaining it and I really appreciate it.

I was hoping you could help me understand a few things about my estimate:
upload_2018-1-4_15-41-17.png

1) Is the global reservation number taking into account west coasters? Since Tesla stores on the east coast opened before the west coast, is your assumption that someone who reserved at 10:05 AM in San Fran gets a better global reservation # than someone who reserved at 10:06 in Boston?

2) Can you help me understand where the 37,334 for Rear Wheel Drive option comes in?

3) Your trim level only supports 'Model 3 SR OR LR'.. Do we know anything about how standard range vs long range will affect delivery? If I have to wait another like 3 months because they're prioritizing people lower in the queue who want to get the LR, that would really suck for me as someone who wants the basic SR. I was the first person in line in my Tesla store and put 10:21 because my e-mail was delayed for some reason despite reserving at 10:05.

4) How do you get my global production seq no to be 16,604 when there were only 237 employees and 2583 reservations before me? I was allegedly 169th in my region, so how did I bump from 2989 to 16604?

Thank you in advance!

Are people finding this estimator accurate? I literally just put in a reservation on Dec 31 2017 as a Model S owner living in the PNW and it shows me as having delivery in Feb 2018... If I change it to 'non tesla owner" it adds one day to the delivery... This has to be way off?!

upload_2018-1-4_14-4-59.png