Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dual Motor HV Battery Replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my model 3 long range dual motor last October, and experiencing steep range drop after 6K miles. It's now at less than 250miles while fully charged, 60 miles battery range lost with in 12K miles (less than 10 months.)

I was trying to contact the Tesla service department and scheduled an appointment earlier last month, and they did some online diagnosis and told me my battery are in perfect condition, there is nothing I should worry about.
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.34.17 PM.png

and today, while I was driving on the highway battery was at about 60% there is an error message pops out which saying:

"Maximum battery charge level reduced" - unable to charge battery to 100%.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.43.53 PM.png

When I get back home the battery was at about 20% and after I start charging, it was working fine until it reaches 28%.

The charging starts and stops immediately, then start again then stop, in an endless loop and battery stuck at 28%, and we need to travel to Chicago tomorrow! Boomer!

So, if you seeing something abnormal in your range, try to convince the service department take it seriously, otherwise it will fail on you.

Please do, in all the posts I've seen with this happening, a sudden large range drop followed by that message, it was the HV battery messed up and they got a new one.
I did my research but only saw post for 8 years old model S with x00,000 miles, not any model 3 with less than 12K mileage, this should be a very rare case.(and I hope so!)

Last edited:
I did my research but only saw post for 8 years old model S with x00,000 miles, not any model 3 with less than 12K mileage, this should be a very rare case.(and I hope so!)
Yes, certainly is a rare case, but it won't ever be 0. That's just kind of the nature of anything with electronics in it. They are called "infant failures". There will always be some smaller % of any kind of chips that have a small borderline defect that doesn't quite get revealed from initial testing until it starts really getting worked daily, and then it will pop up.

So I frequently see people saying things like, "This car is only a week old! This shouldn't happen on a brand new car!" Well...if it's going to happen, it's actually a bit more likely to show up in the first week. I would be more surprised if the car had been working great for the first few months with daily use, and then something went wrong. It usually would have shaken things out by then. (That's why ships have a "shakedown cruise" when they are first built before being put in for really important work.)

My car just started experiencing the same thing. It suddenly dropped to a maximum charge of 270. My battery also doesnt charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I dont drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: kiddole and Xebec
My car just started experiencing the same thing. It suddenly dropped to a maximum charge of 270. My battery also doesnt charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I dont drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off.
Update: just got a message from Tesla, new HV battery.

Will keep my Tesla stocks, confidence +

EA750130-0927-41D0-B351-5C8D4D65333E.png

Adding to this thread with my recent experience on a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with about 18,000 miles. About five days ago I started to get the message that “maximum battery charge level reduced”. Battery was around 57%. I’ve been charging in a 240v outlet with Tesla charging cable that comes with the car. When I plugged it in to charge, the charging unit started to click while the charge time estimate kept on recalculating, not being able to project a specific charge time. The unit finally stopped charging and a got an “unable to charge error”. I then took the car to a destination charger and it would not charge there. I received an error message “Charging equipment not ready”.

I took the car to the service center. Dropped it off on May 4 and just received an email saying vehicle will be ready May 20. The part order is “ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,AWD-RWD,1PH,RMN”. I’m assuming this is a new battery? I remember other threads (can’t find them now) that recommended making sure it was the correct battery. Anything I should watch out for or advocate for?

Attachments

• EEFD8E30-F4DA-4136-BA56-1F6D61FC6E23.jpeg
    EEFD8E30-F4DA-4136-BA56-1F6D61FC6E23.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 93
  • B0AD2B22-D345-479E-9F2B-5BE43ACDA41F.jpeg
    B0AD2B22-D345-479E-9F2B-5BE43ACDA41F.jpeg
    995 KB · Views: 90
  • 8BFFA16D-C487-4C78-933A-74675F862C33.jpeg
    8BFFA16D-C487-4C78-933A-74675F862C33.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 138
  • F379FA18-90AE-40A6-BDF0-E03C0C3FEDD3.jpeg
    F379FA18-90AE-40A6-BDF0-E03C0C3FEDD3.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 28258AF2-D1EE-4139-B190-66A1A056248E.jpeg
    28258AF2-D1EE-4139-B190-66A1A056248E.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 103
  • AB7D22DB-55EE-43AA-80B4-3A96DEB8F3CA.jpeg
    AB7D22DB-55EE-43AA-80B4-3A96DEB8F3CA.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 687C5D29-19B5-4D91-A56B-71A645EBE7BD.jpeg
    687C5D29-19B5-4D91-A56B-71A645EBE7BD.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 95
This means remanufactured. However, it's really unclear to me what that actually means for Tesla. It may have been some battery on the assembly line that had some damage of some sort, or didn't pass quality checks for some reason, which was then remanufactured to specifications (this could be something very minor). Or it's a brand new battery that never made it into a vehicle. I don't think anyone here knows the exact type of battery used for replacement, but RMN technically means remanufactured.

No idea. But there's nothing you can do. It's extremely likely your new battery will be better than your old battery though! Just report back here with what your rated range projected to 100% is after you get your replacement.

I don't think you really have to worry about the "correct" battery for that vehicle. For a new Performance 2021 it would matter since it has a larger capacity battery (but Tesla is unlikely to screw that up, either).

This means remanufactured. However, it's really unclear to me what that actually means for Tesla. It may have been some battery on the assembly line that had some damage of some sort, or didn't pass quality checks for some reason, which was then remanufactured to specifications (this could be something very minor). Or it's a brand new battery that never made it into a vehicle. I don't think anyone here knows the exact type of battery used for replacement, but RMN technically means remanufactured.

No idea. But there's nothing you can do. It's extremely likely your new battery will be better than your old battery though! Just report back here with what your rated range projected to 100% is after you get your replacement.

I don't think you really have to worry about the "correct" battery for that vehicle. For a new Performance 2021 it would matter since it has a larger capacity battery (but Tesla is unlikely to screw that up, either).
Will do. Thank you!

Rolled over 60k kms on my 2021 LR M3 and got the same error. Range was unaffected up to the message. Booked an appointment. Tesla got it in, 3 days later I have my car back with new HV battery. On the 2 hour trip back from centre I noticed the battery used as much range as it did before the replacement so hoping that’s a good sign I didn’t get a lower grade refurbished battery

Also got a loaner 2016 X but I was stoked to check one out and it was fun to drive with the EAP and use the air suspension. Was happy to get mine back tho

Wanted to share this on here vs making my own thread

tesla will always say the battery is in perfect condition unless it holds less than 70% SOC. its an unfortunate reality of lies from tesla.
Once the car will throw an error i.e. being unable to charge to 100% you will get a replacement either way.

Fortunately when range drops rapidly a module is failing and that will destroy the pack very quickly in the next weeks to couple of months. model 3 cant function with a damaged module due to the way the bms is designed. And unlike musks statements modules cant be replaced either.