Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 EAP Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the summon or self-parking features would be something nice to have, but not for $5,000. I would not be able to get the value out of EAP for the typical driving that I do based on the descriptions of what it is capable of.

It would be nice if Tesla let you demo the feature for 30 days and then make the decision on if you wanted to purchase it.

Another thing that would be nice for those who might want to use AP only sparingly is the ability to pay a per use fee on AP. I might not get 5,000 worth of use for AP but I might be willing to pay $50 to use it for an annual weekend trip that consists of mostly highway driving.

Reactions: Bokonon
Part of the reason I want to buy a Tesla despite it stretching my budget quite a bit is the Autopilot. But whereas at first I thought Tesla was miles ahead of the competition, it now seems that it's not and has a hefty price tag as well.

As I'm in Europe I won't get it before years end, any chance that there will be both a hardware and a software update by then?

I mean, Elon has bigger plans surely for Autopilot than what is depicted in the OP
AP2 is one of the best systems currently, and as far as I’m aware, the only one that will improve every year you own it.

I will not a buy a Tesla without AP. Hands down worth much more than $5k.

If you are maintaining posted limit or maybe not more than 5mph above, it does very well including curvy roads as long as there are lane lines. So I am guessing OP's car needs some more calibration.

I think maybe more than just the curves, it's also hills that throw a wrench in things. The stretch of freeway I've been testing on kinda has a lot of up and down rolls. Nothing extreme, but it's almost never completely flat either. I think its just the combination of curves and slopes that are making it fail.

I think maybe more than just the curves, it's also hills that throw a wrench in things. The stretch of freeway I've been testing on kinda has a lot of up and down rolls. Nothing extreme, but it's almost never completely flat either. I think its just the combination of curves and slopes that are making it fail.
Hills confuse AP badly. It’s not good at predicting where the road will go beyond its line of sight. Maybe it’s learning from past experiences but I’m not really even sure on that.

I hope you agree that those kind road topologies are not the norm for 90% of the freeways. Unless CA 101 is the main route that you intend to use AP most of the time, you should look at your driving patterns and make a decision it will be useful or not. If you base your opinion on those type roads which IMO are edge conditions, then you will probably miss out on plenty of opportunities where AP will be a great stress buster.

Isn't it true that if you don't get AP2, you also don't get the following?

- Self Parking
- TACC (you do get super basic cruse control, though)

Anything else I'm missing? It seems like there's more to AP2 than just AP
Do you mean EAP when you say AP2? TACC is part of EAP. Not sure what you mean my Self Parking. You mean you get out of the car and it then Self Parks itself? Or do you mean parallel parking while you are in the car. I think the Full Self Parking would be part of FSD.

Autopilot

Do you mean EAP when you say AP2? TACC is part of EAP. Not sure what you mean my Self Parking. You mean you get out of the car and it then Self Parks itself? Or do you mean parallel parking while you are in the car. I think the Full Self Parking would be part of FSD.

Autopilot

Sorry if I'm not using the right terms here. I mean if you don't buy the $5,000 AP software, in addition to not getting auto pilot, your cruse control gets downgraded to the old fashioned set it to a fixed speed (doesn't maintain the distance between you and the next car ) cruse. And for self parking I mean Parallel Parking while in the car.

If I'm wrong and you do get those things without paying the 5k let me know as I may save myself 5k.

The kiss of death for ap20 is once Lidar becomes affordable.. Competition (the entire tech and automotive industry are betting on Lidar) will provide solutions that are 100x more reliable and Tesla will have no choice but to create ap30 hardware which will incorporate Lidar, and we will be screwed.

Tesla can hire the best engineers in the planet.. It will be no substitute for what basic engineers can accomplish with Lidar.

The kiss of death for ap20 is once Lidar becomes affordable.. Competition (the entire tech and automotive industry are betting on Lidar) will provide solutions that are 100x more reliable and Tesla will have no choice but to create ap30 hardware which will incorporate Lidar, and we will be screwed.

Tesla can hire the best engineers in the planet.. It will be no substitute for what basic engineers can accomplish with Lidar.

Tesla may indeed be betting on the wrong sensor suite, but incorporating LIDAR doesn’t make any of this easy. That’s nonsense. You still need machine vision, you still need deep learning.

And Tesla can if they have to in that case put those LIDARs for example into the mirrors (for free for those that bought FSD):

ruKO5ee.jpg

uulAUJc.jpg

Modified Model S spotted - additional sensors. • r/teslamotors

After driving AP1 for two years on my S85D, I've had a tough time noticing any difference at all with AP2 on the M3. Switching from one to the other seems a complete non-event.

We frequently traverse a stretch of CA-118 that has hills and curves in/near the Santa Susana Pass. Typically at 72-74 mph. Centered and smooth with both.

Beyond that level of curviness and crestiness (if there is such a word), I'm not sure that I would trust either AP system yet.

After driving AP1 for two years on my S85D, I've had a tough time noticing any difference at all with AP2 on the M3. Switching from one to the other seems a complete non-event.

We frequently traverse a stretch of CA-118 that has hills and curves in/near the Santa Susana Pass. Typically at 72-74 mph. Centered and smooth with both.

Beyond that level of curviness and crestiness (if there is such a word), I'm not sure that I would trust either AP system yet.
I'm curious, does AP2 on your M3 manages this curve on CA-118? If so, it's better than other posts led me to believe.:)

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-04 om 12.48.52.png