Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 full self driving (FSD) poll

Your FSD purchase choice

• I paid for a steering wheel, BB will have to drag me from the car in 2028

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Will wait for FSD to evolve, invest the money wisely until then

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Pay up front and get it over and done with

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • FSD is the be all and end all, will be in full use by 2022, enforced by 2028

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a true believer of how good full self driving will become, driver inattention is quickly deteriorating the driving skills of Australians, it's not too far away that governments and insurance companies put a lot of weight behind FSD vehicles. Personally I love driving but understand that one day my driving skills will deteriorate to a stage where the FSD road is my only choice, better than being forced from the road completely.

...love driving...

Functionally, there's nothing wrong with loving driving and including cruise control, FSD...

I don't have to use them if I don't want them. But it's better to have are there just in case I want them.

So, the issues is more about

1) Economy: pay now or later. Get into debt or wait...

2) Technology: It's science fiction right now because there is no proven demonstration from our popular youtubers.

My contact in Tesla sales has confirmed that we may delete FSD from our Model 3 orders any time up to registration (in fact we can cancel the whole order, since there are so few car options).
Therefore ordering FSD now will avoid any price increases in this before delivery. We can then delete it to avoid LCT just before registration, and add it back (if we want to) after registration.
So I am adding FSD back to my order now!

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Functionally, there's nothing wrong with loving driving and including cruise control, FSD...

I don't have to use them if I don't want them. But it's better to have are there just in case I want them.

So, the issues is more about

1) Economy: pay now or later. Get into debt or wait...

2) Technology: It's science fiction right now because there is no proven demonstration from our popular youtubers.

A further option is you never pay because the functionality doesnt arrive during your ownership of the car. Totally depends how long you keep the car. If you think you will keep it for ages....I upgraded my originally new model s with a new model s last year and saved money. Upgrading was a no-brainer. Lucky I didnt buy FSD on the first one.

I am sure we will get FSD in Australia, but probably not in Elon's timeframes. The only question for me is "will it cost more when it has proven to be safer than humans as Elon promises?" At today's interest rates I think it is wiser to invest in FSD.

My AP1 still works better than the AP2.5 in our Model X....the AP1 Model 1 is far smoother....it may happily driver right in to a wall though, but it'll be smooth as it does it ;)

I'll NOT be buying FSD, we got told our AP1 cars would eventually drive themselves, even got told AP2.0 would, then 2.5 and now need 3.0 with EXTRA hardware costs...hmmm....a lot of things we got promised on our AP1 cars (such as opening the gate/garage and parking itself, even had a nice little cartoon of the car doing this on the Tesla website....since gone of course) and never got delivered...how on hell was my car ever going to open the gates? Tesla didn't even include the hardware and to date Tesla haven't replied to my emails/phones calls in relation to this....

Last edited:
Reactions: paulp
we got told our AP1 cars would eventually drive themselves.... a lot of things we got promised on our AP1 cars (such as opening the gate/garage and parking itself

Yes things got difficult to realise in practice. We all cut Elon some slack for his fevered dreams. The AP1 model S is still much more than a nice car, it's bloody amazing, and I'm reminded of that every day.

But some of those dreams did get to come true eventually in the Model 3, and some are yet to. My dream is for a nice folding-hardtop Model 3 Performance convertible - anyone want to tweet Elon and suggest it? Or do I just shut up and save my pennies for a Roadster 2.0?

My AP1 still works better than the AP2.5 in our Model X....the AP1 Model 1 is far smoother....it may happily driver right in to a wall though, but it'll be smooth as it does it ;)

I'll NOT be buying FSD, we got told our AP1 cars would eventually drive themselves, even got told AP2.0 would, then 2.5 and now need 3.0 with EXTRA hardware costs...hmmm....a lot of things we got promised on our AP1 cars (such as opening the gate/garage and parking itself, even had a nice little cartoon of the car doing this on the Tesla website....since gone of course) and never got delivered...how on hell was my car ever going to open the gates? Tesla didn't even include the hardware and to date Tesla haven't replied to my emails/phones calls in relation to this....
I had a sales lady at chadstone about 1.5 years ago get quite upset with me for pointing out to her that a tesla in Australia will not pull itself out of the garage and meet you at the kerb based on your diary. She was completely convinced that it would do this.

They can't build one car for every future - there will be continuous improvement in the SW but there will be break points beyond which it can't evolve without upgrading the HW. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the upcoming 3-motor model S refresh just btw :)

Interesting results so far, 6 to 1 in favour of invest the money wisely, I was guessing it would show up as 50/50.
I think the main reason is cost. $7,000 is a lot on a $70,000 car.
If it was $2,000 then I reckon most people would get it.
I would have thought that the greatest total revenue would come at a price lower than $7,000 (ie. $7000 x 15% < $5000 x 30%).
I suspect they don’t want to widely sell FSD just yet.