Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That characterization is extremely misleading. It uses the same stator and inverter as the Model 3/Y, but the rotor (carbon sleeved) and housing (designed to accommodate dual motor in rear) is completely different. Most people would not call that the "same motor".

I tried to google what are the powe characteristics of either Plaid front or 3/Y performance rear and I could not find, but kw/hp range seemed quite close (might stem from inverter tuning).

That characterization is extremely misleading. It uses the same stator and inverter as the Model 3/Y, but the rotor (carbon sleeved) and housing (designed to accommodate dual motor in rear) is completely different. Most people would not call that the "same motor".

My understanding is that the Plaid uses the same "motor" in all three positions, not just the stator and inverter, but the rotor as well. If that's not the case then you're certainly correct that a fundamentally different rotor would constitute a fundamentally different motor.

My understanding is that the Plaid uses the same "motor" in all three positions, not just the stator and inverter, but the rotor as well. If that's not the case then you're certainly correct that a fundamentally different rotor would constitute a fundamentally different motor.
Look at the Munro video, the rotor is carbon sleeved. The Model 3/Y's is not, so it literally can't be the same.

The front motor is also carbon sleeved from the other Inside EVs link, so the front motor is not the same as the Model 3/Y either. Rather it says it's the Raven motor. Tesla uses the same inverter for commonality, but changes the other parts as fit.

I was responding to @gearchruncher's statement that "The front motor in the Plaid is not the same as the rear motors... it's basically a Model 3 Rear motor." Neither of us intended so suggest it was *exactly* a Model 3 motor. My point was only that the front motor *is* the same as the rear motors.

The Raven uses a stock Model 3 rear motor mated to a FWD transmission. Plaid modifies the Raven front drive unit to include a carbon rotor - the same carbon rotor as the rears, the same Model 3 derivative, the same everywhere - as far as I can tell from various teardowns like Munro and Ingineerix.

Reactions: Olle
Certainly some decent size rubber on the back of this thing.

Attachments

• 4D67B63B-99CD-4D7B-B482-53FD47F55263.png
    4D67B63B-99CD-4D7B-B482-53FD47F55263.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
Reactions: jose3030
If you are referring to the standard Model S long range, then I think it’s a no brainer to wait/see what the new Model 3 Performance/Plaid will offer in terms of performance/looks. I think in many ways, the refresh Model 3 will be a better/nicer vehicle than the current Model S.
I think on the performance side it's very likely. On the build quality and suspension side, I'm less bullish since the M3P will still be based on the econobox Model 3. But yes, I would be bummed if I made the trade now only to find out that Tesla has in fact created a new "M3 Killer" so I may just wait it out.

I think on the performance side it's very likely. On the build quality and suspension side, I'm less bullish since the M3P will still be based on the econobox Model 3. But yes, I would be bummed if I made the trade now only to find out that Tesla has in fact created a new "M3 Killer" so I may just wait it out.
Makes sense. But, based on the early reviews, it sounds like Tesla has made some moderate improvements to build quality/materials and suspension on the base Model 3 Highland… which will hopefully translate to an overall more comfortable/quiet ride on both the long range and Performance/Plaid trim.

No such thing as a BMW M3 “killer”. The upcoming Model 3 Performance/Plaid will simply be another option, since the market is more than large enough for both vehicles to thrive. Besides, there will always be a large group of buyers who will prefer/buy a BMW M3 over a Tesla Model 3 regardless of the performance gap…

Looks like Motor Trend and Car had a chance to review Highland....

Conspicuously absent is any mention of Performance changes, or any timeline for a Performance model.
With the same motors and batteries as before, the actual driving experience isn't what you'll notice once you give up on the predictive shifting and put the car in Drive yourself.
A bit less body roll would go a long way, whenever Tesla decides to make a new Performance model.
I'll be the first to admit that this seems good for the performance car. If it was just the same higher powered rear motor and some brakes like it is today, they would be releasing it at the same time as it's the highest profit version. It does appear logical that the drivetrain will be different.

Reactions: Lindenwood

I don't know if the Model S quality is any better (if not worse). I think i find more complaints on the S forums than even the newer 3s. Maybe a crap shoot no matter what 😁

The battery's max power capability is basically whatever Tesla wants it to be for warranty purposes. Panasonic gives the cell a suggested limit but they don't even pretend to be scientific or precise about it, they just simplify the approximation to a whole-number "C" rating and it's up to us to perform all the real-world testing and deliver the data to Tesla.

Tesla then evaluates the degradation trends and decides whether or not to push the cell harder with each software update. They collect billions of data points for every imaginable combination of cell temperature, SOC, age, etc. then fine-tune the pack's maximum power limit for each condition. Panasonic does not have the capability to perform such data collection and analysis, nor does LG, Ford, Hyundai, BYD, or anyone else.

As of today, Tesla's discharge limit on the ~5Ah Panasonic cell is around 5.6C for a total output of ~420kW.
I have seen a realtime 447 KW(607 HP) reading through CANBUS.

Note: this is not a “Max discharge value”. This was a realtime reading while doing a 1/4 mile run.

462 KW is the maximum “Max Discharge” value I have seen.

Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
I hope Tesla puts more effort into maximizing steering feel and dialing in traction control/torque vectoring that relay a sense of control and excitement to the driver. Raw numbers are important but Tesla's weak point is always in 'driver involvement' ie, feeling too much like a video game. I may be wishing for too much here, but who knows.

Just a touch of Porsche/BMW/Mazda DNA would be welcome in a Tesla.

Yep, I’m with ya. A good sign that Tesla has made some slight changes to the front and rear bumper for the upcoming Performance/Plaid Model 3 trim. Can’t wait to see the actual result (especially the final performance numbers) in the upcoming months…. 🤞
Go faster stripes and it’s now called the Model 3 Performance Turbo. Both those changes should add at least 150hp and could be why they are covering it up. 😉

I hope Tesla puts more effort into maximizing steering feel and dialing in traction control/torque vectoring that relay a sense of control and excitement to the driver. Raw numbers are important but Tesla's weak point is always in 'driver involvement' ie, feeling too much like a video game. I may be wishing for too much here, but who knows.

Just a touch of Porsche/BMW/Mazda DNA would be welcome in a Tesla.

Nice comparison:

Reactions: mpgxsvcd