Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The second one has a bigger slope so probably not a completely valid comparison.
If it holds though, 0.4s in the quarter mile is a pretty decent gap.
Slope certainly matters but I am 205 lbs so maybe the other driver is much lighter? In the end we already have confirmation that the new MIC Model 3 Performance is limited to a 406 KW Max Discharge value and the US car goes all the way to at least 461 KW. That alone is a gigantic difference that can’t be overcome. 461 KW is 627 Metric HP.

IMG_7599.jpeg
IMG_7600.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
No doubt there is a decent difference. More than I expected.

I am 230lbs and just did this 0-60 at 88%, warmish battery, which is similar to that other mic car.

tweaks and optimisation will shave off another .1 in 0-60 and 1/4, but a 11.1 is probably the best it's going to do without weight reductions.

At the end of the day, there is nothing we can do about it and everyone in a region has the same car so I'm not going to dwell too much.
1000006165.jpg

I'm amazed that a car running mid-low 11s with high efficiency and all the highland updates is a disappointment around here. And at a ridiculously low price. Some of y'all need help.

You know what they say about people looking for reasons to be disappointed? They always find them.
Don't get me wrong, I am still extremely happy, in context of what else is available it's still incredible.

Just that lagging thought of, it could have been better from a battery that is already available and in use.

It's still going to demolish almost everything on the street while been efficient, safe and great value. That's plenty good enough for me.

Reactions: arkhos
Context. It’s capable of high tens with a battery offered in another region. I certainly wouldn’t be overjoyed if I had to buy a non-US car.
I honestly think the US car might be capable of 10.69 100% stock if everything is truly optimized. My start was extremely slow even on the 10.75 run.

Look at the comparison below. My understanding is that the 2022 Model 3 performance below was using the LG battery with a newer motor than the US 2022 Model 3 Performance had.

There is no comparison 0-60 mph between the two below. However, look at the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile times and mph gains.

The 2022 LG car did the second half of the 1/4 mile in 4.09 and the 2024 LG car did it in 4.07. The 2022 car gained 21.16 mph on the second half and the 2024 car gained 22.22 mph.

Those are really close numbers. Barely any difference at all. My 2024 Panasonic car did the back half in 3.85 seconds and gained 24.1 mph. That is a monumental difference.

IMG_7601.png
IMG_7602.png

Reactions: Apprunner
Don't get me wrong, I am still extremely happy, in context of what else is available it's still incredible.

Just that lagging thought of, it could have been better from a battery that is already available and in use.

It's still going to demolish almost everything on the street while been efficient, safe and great value. That's plenty good enough for me.
My biggest takeaway is that a Hyundai Ioniq 5N will beat an LG 2024 Model 3 Performance for acceleration. The 5N will get foot stomped by a Panasonic 2024 Model 3 Performance in acceleration.

Earlier today I had the opportunity to drive a UK spec Highland M3P around a fast track for a few laps.
The biggest issue was the battery overheating earlier than we've ever had with the Fremont-built 2019/20 M3Ps several of us are running on track here.
The only way I could monitor pack temperature was using the charging page in the service menu and that was saying the battery temp. was up around 58C just after entering the pits. That doesn't seem overly high to me. How does that temp. compare to the Panasonic pack once the track mode graphic turns red?

I would say the cooling seems to be working well once the car is stationary with TM still on. After about 15 mins it was down to 35C.
In comparison, when I was charging my 2019 M3P earlier, I looked at the temp. in the service/charging page and it was at 55C but the normal charging page was giving me the "Battery Temperature Low" message. So I'm a little confused about the reported temps between cars and why the '24 LG pack seems to overheat earlier.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and arkhos
I honestly think the US car might be capable of 10.69 100% stock if everything is truly optimized. My start was extremely slow even on the 10.75 run.

Look at the comparison below. My understanding is that the 2022 Model 3 performance below was using the LG battery with a newer motor than the US 2022 Model 3 Performance had.

There is no comparison 0-60 mph between the two below. However, look at the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile times and mph gains.

The 2022 LG car did the second half of the 1/4 mile in 4.09 and the 2024 LG car did it in 4.07. The 2022 car gained 21.16 mph on the second half and the 2024 car gained 22.22 mph.

Those are really close numbers. Barely any difference at all. My 2024 Panasonic car did the back half in 3.85 seconds and gained 24.1 mph. That is a monumental difference.

View attachment 1060447View attachment 1060448
That looks the same car, I get that there's a lot of upgrades on the new, but power is not one of them.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Nice to see some good data coming out, not so nice to see then above 40 mph difference... but why does the LG win off the line or the first 10 mph? More initial torque?
In an ironic twist, 0-60mph is where street cars spend 99% of their time. Sure it's not the fun fun stuff, but it is the cut and thrust of traffic or canyon runs. People who wanted a highway cruiser should have got the plaid anyway.

Ie, yeh on paper the LG cars are not as good, but as usual people are being super dramatic and most of the time, there won't be a difference at the speeds most people shuffle around with most of the time.

It's so disappointing that the non US cars have been handicapped by a low C-rate battery, which is kinda of absurd for a performance car. Even as a daily driver, the charging performance will be way worse than my 2019 MP3 with the Panasonic battery. After 5 years, you'd expect a better performing battery in all aspects.
Love how dramatic people are. It's faster than the old car in every way with a dozen other improvements, just not quite as good as a 24' pano. . Charging will depend actually, sometimes the pano will be faster, sometimes the lg depending on the circumstances and crossover points.

It is fair to say they probably should or could have had a new battery altogether but remember this is now a 8 year old platform and was originally designed 10 years ago. I suspect it's nearing the end of it's development, and engineering a special pack JUST for 50,000 M3P's a year wouldn't have made financial sense given that ASP's are going the other direction.

Love how dramatic people are. It's faster than the old car in every way with a dozen other improvements, just not quite as good as a 24' pano. . Charging will depend actually, sometimes the pano will be faster, sometimes the lg depending on the circumstances and crossover points.

It is fair to say they probably should or could have had a new battery altogether but remember this is now a 8 year old platform and was originally designed 10 years ago. I suspect it's nearing the end of its development, and engineering a special pack JUST for 50,000 M3P's a year wouldn't have made financial sense given that ASP's are going the other direction.
I guess the issue is that it’s marginally faster only by tenths of a second. Is it worth the upgrade for more cash outlay or loan from their older Pano 3P provided essentially the same ‘butt measure’ feel day to day? Whereas US owners actually get something different not only on paper but in real world feel… all the way from 0-150mph and 1/4 mile.

New global owners as well; maybe considering a used 2022 M3P for 60% of the cost of new now becomes a viable comparison whereas for the US version, its lot more performance for the $ and a definite departure from the outgoing Perf spec.

Would it have killed tesla to demand LG produce a higher capacity cell to match Pano or figure out how to fit 3 extra kw into the non US version? Lol 😂

Reactions: MarkoP
I guess the issue is that it’s marginally faster only by tenths of a second. Is it worth the upgrade for more cash outlay or loan from their older Pano 3P provided essentially the same ‘butt measure’ feel day to day? Whereas US owners actually get something different not only on paper but in real world feel… all the way from 0-150mph and 1/4 mile.

New global owners as well; maybe considering a used 2022 M3P for 60% of the cost of new now becomes a viable comparison whereas for the US version, its lot more performance for the $ and a definite departure from the outgoing Perf spec.

Would it have killed tesla to demand LG produce a higher capacity cell to match Pano or figure out how to fit 3 extra kw into the non US version? Lol 😂
Whether it's worth it really depends on the person.

The straight line performance is only ONE aspect here. There is a dozen other upgrades that make significant changes to the entire package. It drives like a completely different car.

If someone JUST wants a fast car in a straight line for as cheap as possible, a used M3P is fine. But most people id imagine want something more than that, something more engaging, something quiet and comfortable, something with more quality (which IS something that Shanghai and global cars seem to have better). Seats, looks, warranty, bla bla.

People really need to look past the stat sheet here. As for "demanding LG to do better" it doesn't really work like that. They could have and LG said "Yep that will be $100million for development costs thanks" and Tesla went nope, it's a 8 year old platform that's at the end of its development and it's not worth it for 50,000 cars. Tesla is 100% pouring it's R&D into the next gen products.