Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t the SR only make 280hp or so? And I imagine that drops some amount by 90mph. Not exactly 200hp / ton
I assumed he was talking about his M3P- he mentioned second, not the RWD he mentioned first, particularly since we're in an M3P discussion, but English is weird.
280 HP is so slow that it's dangerous and should be illegal, right?

Reactions: Gasaraki
  1. Updated motor (higher performance)
  2. Updated brakes (new revision)
  3. Re-designed rear spoiler (new revision)
  4. New exclusive wheel design
  5. Sport seating with side bolstering
  6. Even better suspension compared to baseline Model 3.
  7. Updated Track Mode UI/UX
  8. Four more changes to be announced at a later date.
These are so empty it's kind of funny.
#1- yep. We have this data from other countries. Could you at least tell us which motor was "updated" and on which axle?
#2 - Really, a new revision?! That tells us nothing about performance, they could be worse. I assume the brakes on the base highland are a new revision also.
#3 - Yeah, the whole trunk is different so duh?
#4 - M3P has always had exclusive wheels and this doesn't mean anything about performance, in fact people that track their cars go back down to base car sizes.
#6 - Which doesn't mean a lot if the new Highland has worse performance suspension than before.
#7 - Are they seriously going to not give a better UI to previous cars if they have it and it's just software?

Anyone in this thread could have written this list, it's devoid of actual useful content and specifically written in Elon-esque weasel words so they can say "see, I told you!" when the car ships basically no matter what it is.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 24
  1. Updated motor (higher performance)
  2. Updated brakes (new revision)
  3. Re-designed rear spoiler (new revision)
  4. New exclusive wheel design
  5. Sport seating with side bolstering
  6. Even better suspension compared to baseline Model 3.
  7. Updated Track Mode UI/UX
  8. Four more changes to be announced at a later date.
The actual post said “even better air suspension compared to baseline Model 3”. Whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

IMG_1451.jpeg

It's very hard to know what's the cause for the lower top speed. We know it's not the tires. We know it's not mechanical since they did it on the S as well.

It could even be that someone lost control in a high speed 130mph+ accident in their 3 or S, and Tesla put them under NDA and lowered the top speed to prevent something similar from happening in the future and being brought up negatively in the media like usually happens.

Of course they can't lower plaid and performance model top speeds because bench racing stats are literally what people pay for in those cars.

and Tesla put them under NDA
I think you meant "Tesla paid them massive amounts of money to hide their story from the public because that would harm Tesla's safety story." Companies don't just "put people under NDA." This is not one of Elon's drug parties.
We know it's not the tires.
You keep saying this, but as I said previously, this could be Tesla wanting to make the car compatible with U tires in the future without having to go through a top speed change when they do ship with them. The lower top speed gives them more flexibility on future supply chain. It may also be that the U rating is for a winter or snow tire package that Tesla wants to sell as an option, which they can't do if the car can go too fast.

I also don't believe we have seen enough Highlands on the road to know for sure what tires they are coming with across all the options. "Tires" seem equally probable as aero or suspension at this point.

I think you meant "Tesla paid them massive amounts of money to hide their story from the public because that would harm Tesla's safety story." Companies don't just "put people under NDA." This is not one of Elon's drug parties.

You keep saying this, but as I said previously, this could be Tesla wanting to make the car compatible with U tires in the future without having to go through a top speed change when they do ship with them. The lower top speed gives them more flexibility on future supply chain. It may also be that the U rating is for a winter or snow tire package that Tesla wants to sell as an option, which they can't do if the car can go too fast.

I also don't believe we have seen enough Highlands on the road to know for sure what tires they are coming with across all the options. "Tires" seem equally probable as aero or suspension at this point.
I have one question for you. Which “U” rated tires are you speaking of? I couldn’t even find a single instance of Tesla providing a “U” rated tire for a Model 3, ever. I honestly can’t even find a “U” rated tire I think they would use for the car in the US.

There are “T” and “H” rated tires they could use but those wouldn’t mandate a 125 mph speed limit. It would be either 118 or 130 mph for those tires.

IMG_1473.png