Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a difference between demand being high and supply being low. There is no reason Tesla won't be able to crank out zillions of M3P's right away.

There is though- Highland refresh (in the US at least) has had major problems ramping- troys written on this a number of times and is part of why deliveries will be down YoY in Q1 for the first time basically ever (excluding the covid quarter, Q2 2020)- check the delivery thread for highland on here too, folks waiting months from order to VIN. China did not have similar issues so appears to be a Fremont problem (similar to how they took forever to get the S/X refresh ramp moving)

The second thing that'd stop them from cranking out zillions in the US, even if they figure out the refresh ramp problems, is they don't have zillions of US made 2170 cells--- those are 100% going into Ys right now--- With a (relatively) low P take rate they were able to still sell some Ps in 2023, but if suddenly they had a massive demand surge there'd be no batteries to put in other than those taken away from the Y.

That issue MAY start to improve by next year if they get 4680 production ramped way up as they hope in 2H2 2024-- once they've got enough to max CT ramp the spares can replace 2170s in Ys made in Austin to free up 2170s to go into more 3s... but that's not an anytime-soon fix.

Reactions: phantasms
I hope so. People here make a point though that it shipping with "insane" mode (per the leaked video of the UI) and not "ludicrous" leads some to believe a later update will bring lud drive mode at an additional cost, similar to the P90D.
If it has the same battery pack then it stands to reason the higher amp draw will be harder on the battery. Possible higher warranty costs down the road would justify an extra charge.

Ludicrous subscription, pay per use 😆

Last edited:
Just wait till you see how long it takes for them to actually start delivering the cars to customers in a meaningful quantity.
Well seeing as I'm in the UK, China is probably much quicker than the US factory ;)

I can wait a bit for delivery if I must, it's more just want to see what the final car is and price. If it's not worth it I'll just go with a LR I think.

Just wait till you see how long it takes for them to actually start delivering the cars to customers in a meaningful quantity.
Yea, sigh.

Based on the last available leak Europe gets the car before US does. I think they’re trying to deliver the S and X with the new interior lighting and front bumper cams but that remains to be seen. Kind of hoping the parts shortage they’re having is the camera and they’ll include in on the Ludicrous too… but I’m not holding my breath. Tesla is infamous for cutting things short/out to accelerate deliveries (8gb Model S anyone?).

Reactions: phantasms
Have you guys seen the Xiaomi SU7? Is it me or is this thing blowing the future M3PH out of the water? Because it looks hella good

SU7 Max Performance version – 299,900 yuan (41,500 USD)

101 kWh CATL Qilin
800 km CLTC range
0-100km/h acceleration in 2.78 seconds, 265 km/h top speed
Xiaomi Pilot Max ADAS
800V architecture (871V)
can charge 510 km range in 15 minutes
AWD, dual motors with a combined output of 495 kW (663 hp), 838 Nm torque

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLAROD
Have you guys seen the Xiaomi SU7? Is it me or is this thing blowing the future M3PH out of the water? Because it looks hella good

SU7 Max Performance version – 299,900 yuan (41,500 USD)

101 kWh CATL Qilin
800 km CLTC range
0-100km/h acceleration in 2.78 seconds, 265 km/h top speed
Xiaomi Pilot Max ADAS
800V architecture (871V)
can charge 510 km range in 15 minutes
AWD, dual motors with a combined output of 495 kW (663 hp), 838 Nm torque
Yeah, performance wise I think it'll be on par with the new M3L, but way cheaper (before Fed incentive kicks in). I really hope gov. will allowance those Chinese EV imports (from consumer's perspective), but in reality they won't allow unfortunately.

Reactions: Lolo780