Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plaid did. (well, nearer .3 but close enough).

But what you wrote seemed to be speaking authoritatively about it falling on its face, and now it sounds like you're just guessing.
The Plaid has 3 new motors designed to produce a flat HP curve, while the "new" 3 has the same old stuff warmed-over just a touch. The fundamental power curve is still going to be the same. A "Ludicrous" upgrade, if there ever is such a thing, will simply make it quicker to 50/60/70 before falling off hard.

The Plaid has 3 new motors designed to produce a flat HP curve, while the "new" 3 has the same old stuff warmed-over just a touch. The fundamental power curve is still going to be the same. A "Ludicrous" upgrade, if there ever is such a thing, will simply make it quicker to 50/60/70 before falling off hard.
Jason Cammisa said it doesn't have as steep of a falloff and it keeps pulling on the Carmudgeon podcast, so I am excited to see that in numbers.

Why no quarter mile numbers yet? They told reviewers not to?

I know right?! I know some of those reviewers have Dragys. My best guess is that they were told that they couldn't show those tests in the initial review.

Especially knowing what we know now, imagine them pulling low 3s. That would look really bad for the new 3P, especially as Tesla is currently struggling and dealing with Daddy issues right now with unflattering numbers.

I totally get it, but man someone needs to hurry and line up the previous 3P and new 3P and run some real tests. I have a feeling it's going to boil down to the driver in the real world.

So take the aero covers off and you reveal those stupid holes. What moron thought that is a good look. What an epic fail.

I thought final version had no holes? Did I miss something?

1713910943958.png

1713911002301.png

The "new" 3 has the same old stuff warmed-over just a touch.
Incorrect. The rear motor is new, as is the inverter that outputs 15% more current than previously (950 amps vs. 830)

The fundamental power curve is still going to be the same. A "Ludicrous" upgrade, if there ever is such a thing, will simply make it quicker to 50/60/70 before falling off hard.
Pure speculation. If you don't have sources or a dyno chart there's no need to spread misinformation. In fact, the reviews say the opposite in that it "does not relent" above 60.

Reactions: Visionary
All of the test-drive reviews being published today about the new Model 3 Performance, that are raving about performance at higher speeds (in comparison to old P version) were all tested in the USA using USA-built Model 3 performance.

According to Tesla website, cars manufactured in the USA have more than 500hp, while cars manufactured in China only have 460hp.

Now, since the 0-60 times are identical between cars made in USA and China, it means all that extra power of the USA cars, is going to the above 60mph area.

I is a bit misleading of Tesla to do that (advertise the car with reviewers who only drove the stronger USA version, while giving no one the slower Chinese version).

Reactions: Clivew
(moderator note)

Since this is a "Speculation" thread, and people are going to start posting stuff now that we dont need to speculate, I stickied a discussion thread for "post announcement".

To be clear, discussion can continue here in this thread if desired, but the stickied "post announcement" thread allows a fresh start on the discussion if desired.

I was only here for the page count, so if that goes away, I have no more interest. 😂

Reactions: Adam3
Incorrect. The rear motor is new, as is the inverter that outputs 15% more current than previously (950 amps vs. 830)

Pure speculation. If you don't have sources or a dyno chart there's no need to spread misinformation. In fact, the reviews say the opposite in that it "does not relent" above 60.
"Highland Performance Plaid Speculation", all 216 pages of it. You should look up the definition of "misinformation", because this ain't it.

It's like if BMW came out with a regular 3 series with a M badge.
My last BMW, a 435 "m-sport" had 16 BMW M badges on it (I counted them in amusement shortly after taking delivery of that car in 2016). Anyone familiar with BMWs will tell you that "BMW enthusiasts" have been complaining for years about "dilute the badge". The BMW I had before that, was a 335 M sport which had something like 12 factory M badges on it, yet again was not an M3.

Of all the examples that could be used about a MFR using a badge that isnt deserved on a vehicle, BMW is probably the worst one that could be used.

My last BMW, a 435 "m-sport" had 16 BMW M badges on it (I counted them in amusement shortly after taking delivery of that car in 2016). Anyone familiar with BMWs will tell you that "BMW enthusiasts" have been complaining for years about "dilute the badge". The BMW I had before that, was a 335 M sport which had something like 12 factory M badges on it, yet again was not an M3.

Of all the examples that could be used about a MFR using a badge that isnt deserved on a vehicle, BMW is probably the worst one that could be used.

Yea you're right come to think of it. LOL

Perhaps a Dodge Hellcat analogy would have been more proper.

I'm still kind of shocked and disappointed that the roof liner isn't black alcantara

For the price though it's hard to fault. The new 3 is a brilliant example of mass simplification in creating something so minimally, while packaging it in away where it brings improvements in the areas that matter the most. Suspension, Cabin isolation, Driving dynamics, Double pane glass etc...

Sitting in the new 3 you can tell where they simplified, from the cloth, doors etc., but it didn't feel like a compromise as the improvements outweighed the little things. The suspension and lower cabin noise alone makes it feel like a completely different class of car.

But I get where you're coming from. If the new 3P was more expensive, then yes absolutely would expect more.