Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EU price for red-white is 64750 usd with the worse battery.
US price for the same is 58630 usd and 49130 gray-white after federal credit.
I expect tons of gray m3p in US...
It doesn't really work that way.

Prices can't really be compared directly. There's taxes, tariffs, duties, shipping. There's various rebates across the world that might or might not apply to various people so they don't really matter either. The pricing is also compared to it's competitors in the local market.

What battery the car has doesn't really matter either,
1) Its not that big of a deal, the biggest differences will really only occur under niche or rare circumstances 2) only us forum nerds REALLY care or even know the details 3) You can't buy the other type in whatever country it is anyway. Certain specs for engines have been a thing for decades in the combustion world 4) It likely costs tesla about the same to make it give or take.

Certain break points will make certain combinations more popular than other's though, no doubt about that. Luckily in Australia at least, every combo of paint/interior is eligible for our version of federal EV rebate.

Reactions: MarkoP
What rebate is that? Seriously, point me in the right direction. The only one I know of that is available in QLD is the $6,000 rebate for cars under $68,000 and the M3P starts at way more than that.

Its the national one for EV's on novated leases. So not a rebate in the real sense, but it does make the car effectively a lot cheaper.

Any EV under the LCT threshold pays no taxes, so no GST (as normal) but the big one is also no Fringe benefits tax which is usually a flat 20%. Basically it makes the M3P a interest free car that you can then also pay it's running costs from pretax salary. Obviously the leasing companies make their cut, but even after all the costs, because you are only paying 70k for the car, it comes out so cheap. A no brainer for anyone who has access to a novated lease.

My post tax pay cost will be $550 a fortnite for the car and all running costs (including charging )for 5 years with just a 25k residual. So 71k in repayments and 25k residual means for 5 years of owning the car, it would have cost me 96k. The rrp is 87k in red. I doubt even paying cash would beat that given the opportunity cost. It's basically a 0% loan, and $1800 a year to run for EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Its the national one for EV's on novated leases. So not a rebate in the real sense, but it does make the car effectively a lot cheaper.

Any EV under the LCT threshold pays no taxes, so no GST (as normal) but the big one is also no Fringe benefits tax which is usually a flat 20%. Basically it makes the M3P a interest free car that you can then also pay it's running costs from pretax salary. Obviously the leasing companies make their cut, but even after all the costs, because you are only paying 70k for the car, it comes out so cheap. A no brainer for anyone who has access to a novated lease.

My post tax pay cost will be $550 a fortnite for the car and all running costs (including charging )for 5 years with just a 25k residual. So 71k in repayments and 25k residual means for 5 years of owning the car, it would have cost me 96k. The rrp is 87k in red. I doubt even paying cash would beat that given the opportunity cost. It's basically a 0% loan, and $1800 a year to run for EVERYTHING.
Ok thanks. I’m not leasing my car so not relevant to me unfortunately.

I’m curious to see an Ioniq 5N vs M3P drag race. Looks like they are identical in performance. both 11.0@123 in the 1/4 mile
11.18 is the quickest Ioniq 5N on dragy. My old Model 3 Performance could match that with weight reductions.

It is quick for how heavy it is but it really isn’t that quick in comparison to the new Model 3 Performance.

Reactions: Street_Tuna
An interesting test would be both cars at 100% and race them at lower and lower SOC to see which one holds power better.
SOC is almost irrelevant compared to temperature of the battery for the Model 3 Performance. I would take a lower SOC over a cold battery any day.

365 KW is 489 HP at 89% SOC. I can go all the way down to 55% SOC and have 570 HP for max discharge value. I can even go down to 16% SOC and still have 496 HP for max discharge value.

IMG_6222.png
IMG_6223.png

IMG_6225.png

I'll bite. Why?
For me, I don't want the Plaid because it is too big to fit in my urban garage, to expensive(even used) when compared to the Model 3 Performance, and it just doesn't feel nimble. I don't need the 125+ mph acceleration. I want 0-100 mph acceleration. That is something the new Model 3 Performance can do without resorting to a huge battery.

For me, I don't want the Plaid because it is too big to fit in my urban garage, to expensive(even used) when compared to the Model 3 Performance, and it just doesn't feel nimble. I don't need the 125+ mph acceleration. I want 0-100 mph acceleration. That is something the new Model 3 Performance can do without resorting to a huge battery.
Oh okay it sounded like you had a bad experience with one.