Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1717212287763.png

1717212401775.png

Reactions: phantasms
Track mode hurts at a drag strip. Reason being it kills the nav. You want the nav because you want to be navigating to the nearest supercharger. Hopefully it’s close enough to the track that the car starts preconditioning the battery so you get that sweet sweet full power. And yes of course take everything out of the car. 😂

Reactions: PhaseWhite
PS I was so on the fence about getting this car or a Plaid S. I now have a Plaid S again in the garage and it’s such a reminder that the car is zero fun. It’s a comfortable one trick pony. That trick is you put your foot down and get fuzzy brain and go to jail speeds before you even begin to enjoy the acceleration. Nahhh. 3p is where it’s at!

IMG_6029.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, I missed it that it was posted on the last page. Someone will go 10s on a drag strip. Likely this weekend. Really hard to not pull the trigger on one of these right now.
Totally agree. If I qualified the tax credit my i4 m50 would be gone despite appreciation of many of its benefits. Alas I need to wait until a few of your get sick of yours and go used to capture the tax credit benefits. I don’t generally like leasing.

Track mode hurts at a drag strip. Reason being it kills the nav. You want the nav because you want to be navigating to the nearest supercharger. Hopefully it’s close enough to the track that the car starts preconditioning the battery so you get that sweet sweet full power. And yes of course take everything out of the car. 😂
OP from that reddit thread said he's going back to track and going to skip track mode this time.

PS I was so on the fence about getting this car or a Plaid S. I now have a Plaid S again in the garage and it’s such a reminder that the car is zero fun. It’s a comfortable one trick pony. That trick is you put your foot down and get fuzzy brain and go to jail speeds before you even begin to enjoy the acceleration. Nahhh. 3p is where it’s at!

View attachment 1052573
Been in a similar dilemma of late… feels like the 3 now has the superior tech with the active suspension. If you’ve seen the new Taycan GT and how it stays flat even in tight turns you realize Tesla will probably need something similar on the Plaid to have any hope of keeping up on the track. For now I’ll keep saving my pennies. Maybe a 3 Ludicrous eventually presents itself in a year as another option. 😅

Been in a similar dilemma of late… feels like the 3 now has the superior tech with the active suspension. If you’ve seen the new Taycan GT and how it stays flat even in tight turns you realize Tesla will probably need something similar on the Plaid to have any hope of keeping up on the track. For now I’ll keep saving my pennies. Maybe a 3 Ludicrous eventually presents itself in a year as another option. 😅
This is how much roll my Plaid with MPP solid bushings takes on 285 RE-71RS 200TW AutoX tires.

FB_IMG_1716846997520.jpg

Reactions: Tiger and MarkoP
My understanding is that the Model S Plaid has adjustable shocks like the new M3P plus it has air springs. For technology, I would say that the Plaid is still superior. I drove a new Model S non-plaid a while back, and when you put it into track mode it tightens up and handles much better. It's still big and heavy, and you feel like you're kind of forcing it through the corners, but it does go through them quite quickly.

Reactions: phantasms
As I value your opinion, from the data presented do you think the MIC car will be able to crack a 10 properly setup?
No, from the small amount of data I have seen that car was really disappointing. Hopefully, that data is not indicative of the real world performance but I think that is a long shot.

The difference in batteries didn’t matter as much before because the motors were the limiting factor. The new car fixes the motor issue and exposes the differences in batteries.

Yep from the videos I have seen, looks like LG has exact same launch and 60ft, and also the same kick up to about 50 mph. After that slower. Probably at least 2-3 tenths slower at the 1/4 mile. No wonder Tesla has dropped the prices already, a lot of EU folks waiting to see how much slower the LG is beyond 50 mph..

Yep from the videos I have seen, looks like LG has exact same launch and 60ft, and also the same kick up to about 50 mph. After that slower. Probably at least 2-3 tenths slower at the 1/4 mile. No wonder Tesla has dropped the prices already, a lot of EU folks waiting to see how much slower the LG is beyond 50 mph..

Does it really matter. I've always heard that Americans were the only ones that cared about straight line speed and the Europeans have evolved beyond that to care mostly about handling. I guess Elon heard the same thing 😁