Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People really need to stop saying 460/510. It's just flat out incorrect. I know that's what Tesla says on the website. It is NOT correct.

The real figures are 555hp/580hp~

I get why random's on the street might be misinformed but comon, you guys are supposed to be the informed!
Where are you getting this information from?

I never heard this 555/580hp figure from anyone. Lars Moravy who designed the new m3p said on video that there is a 50hp power difference between the LG and Panasonic variants.

Moreover, a 555/580hp makes the difference only 4.5%, and there is no way a HUGE 0.4sec difference in 1/4 mile (10.9 VS 11.3) is due to just a 4.5% difference in hp (25hp).

Love my car, but I’m going to get this plate…
IMG_6689.jpeg

It could be that the Panasonic variant is 600hp and the LG variant is 460hp. This is more inline with the test results. I would see why Tesla would lie to hide this difference, in order to allow sales internationally.
This is more likely. Won’t affect 0-100 as much as that’s torque based. But 100-200 and 1/4 mile for sure.

I’m so pissed being in Canada and stuck with LG. I may not take it if I keep seeing such large variances.

This is more likely. Won’t affect 0-100 as much as that’s torque based. But 100-200 and 1/4 mile for sure.

I’m so pissed being in Canada and stuck with LG. I may not take it if I keep seeing such large variances.
I don't think we've seen any good 1/4 mile runs for a new M3P with the LG battery yet. Someone is going to have to go to the effort of having a high state of charge, over 90%, and then getting the battery warmed up, before doing the 1/4 mile run. It would be really interesting to see a Pano vs LG race, but that's going to be kind of tough to set up at first.

From what I've read in this thread, the LG will probably be a little slower, but how much is really still unknown. Even if it is .3 or .4 seconds slower in the 1/4 than the US version, is that really a deal breaker? It still noticeably faster than the prior M3P with LG battery, and is there anything close to the price of the new M3P that can touch it?

I guess if you're racing the car, a few tenths of a second is important, but for most of us who just enjoy a fun car with good power, that .3 or .4 in the 1/4 mile is kind of meaningless.

I guess if you're racing the car, a few tenths of a second is important, but for most of us who just enjoy a fun car with good power, that .3 or .4 in the 1/4 mile is kind of meaningless.
The number itself is meaningless, but the sensation of speed is much less when your 1/4 mile drops by that much. And the sensation of speed is like 80% of the reason to buy these cars.

Also some markets like Canada used to get the Panasonic M3P with the previous generation and now get the LG pack. So to them it may be a sidegrade at best.

The number itself is meaningless, but the sensation of speed is much less when your 1/4 mile drops by that much. And the sensation of speed is like 80% of the reason to buy these cars.

Also some markets like Canada used to get the Panasonic M3P with the previous generation and now get the LG pack. So to them it may be a sidegrade at best.
Correct. I have a 22’ LRboost now with the Pano 82kw battery, 568km/350 mile range. The acceleration on it is marginally slower than the PM3 upto 50mph but after this it’s almost neck and neck all the way up.

For me the new 24’ PM3 has to feel way faster than what I have 0-100 and 100-200. That’s what I’m paying for so if LG simply doesn’t give me the 100-200 (62-130) that I’m looking for…not worth the upgrade.

I find it unbelievably insulting to throw into the global LG mix when importing from US is closer, faster and cheaper.

Reactions: Clivew
Correct. I have a 22’ LRboost now with the Pano 82kw battery, 568km/350 mile range. The acceleration on it is marginally slower than the PM3 upto 50mph but after this it’s almost neck and neck all the way up.

For me the new 24’ PM3 has to feel way faster than what I have 0-100 and 100-200. That’s what I’m paying for so if LG simply doesn’t give me the 100-200 (62-130) that I’m looking for…not worth the upgrade.

I find it unbelievably insulting to throw into the global LG mix when importing from US is closer, faster and cheaper.
For whatever reason, Panasonic just hasn't ramped up their battery production in Reno enough to keep up with the Model 3 and Model Y demand. They don't even have enough to put into the Model 3 LR, so it isn't eligible for the US tax credit. Whether the fault lies with Panasonic just not being able to produce enough or Tesla not making accurate projections, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla was expecting most Model Y production to be using 4680s by now, but that obviously didn't happen. Since it typically takes more than a year to order, get delivered, installed, and production ramped up on batteries, they probably would have had to give Panasonic nearly 2 years notice.

I don't think we've seen any good 1/4 mile runs for a new M3P with the LG battery yet. Someone is going to have to go to the effort of having a high state of charge, over 90%, and then getting the battery warmed up, before doing the 1/4 mile run. It would be really interesting to see a Pano vs LG race, but that's going to be kind of tough to set up at first.

From what I've read in this thread, the LG will probably be a little slower, but how much is really still unknown. Even if it is .3 or .4 seconds slower in the 1/4 than the US version, is that really a deal breaker? It still noticeably faster than the prior M3P with LG battery, and is there anything close to the price of the new M3P that can touch it?

If .4 seconds is insignificant to you then the older Model 3 LR with Boost is probably a good option for basically half the price.

If .4 seconds is insignificant to you then the older Model 3 LR with Boost is probably a good option for basically half the price.
There is quite a bit of misinformation about how the LR Boost and Ghost specs fair against a '21-'23 MP3 (82kwh). I'm sure there will be plenty of claims that the '24 is barely faster than the '23 based off of a youtube video that'll show it. There are a zillion reasons NOT to get a new car. A zillion.

Reactions: BMWY
Last year I sold my 2018 LR and bought a 2023 M3P when the prices were cut. The main reasons I wanted the M3P were for the Track Mode, the better low end acceleration, and the better brakes in that order. Past 70 MPH, there is zero difference in acceleration between the two cars, but it's pretty substantial below that. There were also enough improvements to the car between 2018 and 2023 along with getting a new warranty to make it attractive to me. With the Fed and state tax credits, the net cost differential for me ended up being $10k plus the full car PPF cost which was $5,500.

Part of me thinks that I should have waited another year for the new M3P, but at the beginning of 2023 there were a lot of unknowns about that, and I think my 2018 would have probably dropped another $10k to $12k in value between putting another 25k miles on it and it being a year older. It had 72k miles on it when I sold it, so today it would have been about 97k miles. I'm probably going to hang on to my 2023 until the next major Model 3 update in probably 5 or 6 years. Hopefully by then they'll have improved battery packs with higher energy density and output for better power and range.

Last edited:
Where are you getting this information from?

I never heard this 555/580hp figure from anyone. Lars Moravy who designed the new m3p said on video that there is a 50hp power difference between the LG and Panasonic variants.

Moreover, a 555/580hp makes the difference only 4.5%, and there is no way a HUGE 0.4sec difference in 1/4 mile (10.9 VS 11.3) is due to just a 4.5% difference in hp (25hp).

Well

1) We don't know what the optimal difference is. Basing the entire thing on ONE run is stupid. It will be weeks until there is enough data to be conclusive. I suspect for a stock car with all things being equal and optimal will be 10.8@124 v 11.1@122, something like that. But time will tell

2) I'm surprised that the forum isn't informed on this. Eivissa has posted the chart a number of times and it's been shown a number of times. The reason we know it's 555/580~ give or take a couple of hp is that's what the CAN-BUS data has returned from the LG and Pano battery packs in the 2023 cars. Given the packs are identical and nothing has changed with them, it's logical to assume so is the power output.

3) 1/4 mile times are about FAR more than peak hp. Now the the new rear motor makes the entire bottleneck It is likely the pano pack can hold the power longer too. So it has not only higher peaks but probably has that advantage all the way through past 200kph. 30hp can make a big difference if it's 30hp from 90kph all the way through 180+kph. In the combustion car world we always called it "area under the curve". Many many cars with big peaky dyno numbers were actually awful to drive on the street, cars that were well balanced with good area under the curve's are always faster in the real world.

GPtzEnFXQAALEPD.png

As you can see on the chart. There is actually like 6 different claimed power outputs, depending on the source. The Tesla marketing is just one source.