Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. It’s like the old M3P. Seems Tesla really dropped the ball on this one.
I love how people just jump to conclusions without any digging.

Track mode, 11deg temps, likely a cold pack, on a curved road. Same 0-100 i did in the rain on a test drive.

Car can go way faster, I guarantee it. It won't match a panasonic in to the 10's, but id be shocked if it wasn't capable of a 11.0 when prepped correctly.

I don't care that it's "valid", it has a downward slope. We already have a measurement of the Panasonic version on a real track, so no need for such amateur thing. The LG also need a professional measurement...
Do you understand that tracks can go as low as -.99% down and still be valid? Tracks aren’t typically flat. They slope down typically.

I love how people just jump to conclusions without any digging.

Track mode, 11deg temps, likely a cold pack, on a curved road. Same 0-100 i did in the rain on a test drive.

Car can go way faster, I guarantee it. It won't match a panasonic in to the 10's, but id be shocked if it wasn't capable of a 11.0 when prepped correctly.
I would be shocked if any LG pack does 11.0 100% stock with a normal sized(150+ lb) driver. 11.1s, maybe but I don’t see 11.0 happening with that car. That battery pack is a huge hindrance now that the motors can take every watt the battery pack can provide.

Reactions: Adam3
Real shame with the pack. It gives good 0-100kph times, I have seen 3.1 something without subtracting rollout, but from 100-200kph it clearly falls beind the Pana. But yeah, we have yet to see a proper 1/4 with the LG pack.

The 0-100kph is not different between both versions of the car because you need less than 460hp below 100kph, the decisive factor below 100kph is torque, and the torque of the LG is just slightly lower than the Panasonic version of the car.

Above 100kph, hp becomes as limiting factor, quick. Still, if Tesla isn't lying, the difference in hp between those two versions is 10% (460 VS 510), which means performance of the Panasonic version should be no more than 10% better, but we see closer to 20% difference in performance above 100kph according to that LG dragy race (for example I've measured close to 20% more G force produced between 60-100mph by the Panasonic version).

The 0-100kph is not different between both versions of the car because you need less than 460hp below 100kph, the decisive factor below 100kph is torque, and the torque of the LG is just slightly lower than the Panasonic version of the car.

Above 100kph, hp becomes as limiting factor, quick. Still, if Tesla isn't lying, the difference in hp between those two versions is 10% (460 VS 510), which means performance of the Panasonic version should be no more than 10% better, but we see closer to 20% difference in performance above 100kph according to that LG dragy race (for example I've measured close to 20% more G force produced between 60-100mph by the Panasonic version).
You fundamentally misunderstand torque and HP. The Model 3 does in fact hit the max HP below 60 mph. The motors hit peak HP at different rpms. Your automatic 10% assumption is not Valid one.

From 0-39 mph the new car hits maximum torque which Tesla explicitly says is 16% greater than the previous model. Results so far appear to confirm close to that.

After 40 mph the rear motor will sustain at least 22% more power in the rear motor than the previous generation car and 32% more rear motor power at its maximum.

IMG_6399.jpeg

Last edited:
You fundamentally misunderstand torque and HP. The Model 3 does in fact hit the max HP below 60 mph. The motors hit peak HP at different rpms. Your automatic 10% assumption is not Valid one.

From 0-39 mph the new car hits maximum torque which Tesla explicitly says is 16% greater than the previous model. Results so far appear to confirm close to that.

After 40 mph the rear motor will sustain at least 22% more power in the rear motor than the previous generation car and 32% more rear motor power at its maximum.

View attachment 1055023
I've tried to find all available numbers that were claimed by Tesla homologation and marketing around the world:
1717964353600.png

• 22% more continous power ✅ / Both motors combined were rated at 155kW and now 190kW. Though this does not translate in any real world (drivable) performance increase. This is bench power after 30 minutes with an unlimited power source.
  • 32% more peak power ✅ / This is only looking at the rear motor change in 🇺🇸 and we all know by now that 202kW was not an accurate claim for rear power of the old 3D1. It did pull a fair bit more than that.
  • 16% more peak torque ❌ / The highest change I could find was 13.6% in the 🇺🇸 coming from the 3D1 according to the Tesla handbook.

How does Track Mode affect acceleration? I’ve not been able to find any info on this beyond people saying it’s bad
It COULD affect a run because track mode wants to keep the pack/system at a certain temp. If that's anything lower than peak temps then power is being left on the table.

While for peak maximum power you actually want the pack nice and hot. Which track mode won't like.

Note if you just turn the track mode on/off for one run on the side of the road, there won't be much difference. Because one run isn't enough to heat up the battery.

I've tried to find all available numbers that were claimed by Tesla homologation and marketing around the world:
View attachment 1055033
  • 22% more continous power ✅ / Both motors combined were rated at 155kW and now 190kW. Though this does not translate in any real world (drivable) performance increase. This is bench power after 30 minutes with an unlimited power source.
  • 32% more peak power ✅ / This is only looking at the rear motor change in 🇺🇸 and we all know by now that 202kW was not an accurate claim for rear power of the old 3D1. It did pull a fair bit more than that.
  • 16% more peak torque ❌ / The highest change I could find was 13.6% in the 🇺🇸 coming from the 3D1 according to the Tesla handbook.
The EU Type Certificate for the M3P 2024 was just corrected. Now the 16% are also there...
  • 16% more peak torque ✅ / This is only looking at the rear motor change in the 🇺🇸 from 420Nm to 490Nm.

1718011386605.png

This now confirms that all relevant changes claimed by Tesla marketing only refer to changes at the rear motor, not changes of total power/torque and that these claims are only valid for the US Panasonic version.

LOL, the Plaid is absolutely disgusting. On that surface, the Plaid is spinning to at least 70 Mph every run. Put them on a reasonably prepped surface and it's just laughable how much quicker it is.
Agreed. The Plaid has half the time to 200kph than the new 3. It’s miraculous and wasn’t shown here. Launch wise the Plaid should leave the P3 in the dust and never look back lol.

Diff animals completely.
Better comparison would be the SLR to PM3.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkhos
Agreed. The Plaid has half the time to 200kph than the new 3. Its miraculous and wasn’t shown here Launch wise the Plaid should leave the P3 in the dust and never look back lol.

Diff animals completely.
How I wish Tesla brought the M3P to at least MSLR power levels. Too bad they stuck with the induction motor up front. Two PM motors, or better yet -- two plaid motors in a model 3 sized package could have been something special.