Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just a guess but I honestly don't think they will ever have the boost upgrade for the LR again. I think they want to separate the LR from the more Performance oriented models.
I also think that might be the case but they did get approval for the cars to have the power output on the LR that they only get after the acceleration boost. Doesn't mean they will offer it, just that they got the car certified for it.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Isn’t the current M3P officially advertised at something like 450hp?

Tesla does and has not officially 'advertised' the hp (they got into a lawsuit with that in Norway many years ago so they stopped it). The only one they do are the Plaid models, and are actually slightly under-rated figures. HP figures for the M3P are all over due to many factors and misunderstandings. People should really only be concerned with the WHP and power curve. So the real test is what do they show up as on the dyno (and even then there is some small variance from year to year with the battery changes / software updates). I would not be surprised one bit if Tesla does not advertise HP in the new M3P, or if they do it's going to be under-rated just like all the competition does.

Last edited:
The boost was a good option as plenty of videos of P's only getting ahead on the initial acceleration and then it's basically they were the same speed and the small lead would just stay the same. I imagine it lost them some Performance car sales.

Actually the LR has been shown to pull ever so slowly on the P at the top end, I've seen atleast one or two videos showing it. That said though, I'd doubt they really lost any significant number of P sales based on the Boost option. I guarantee you most new buyers probably never had a clue about Boost and it's not something Tesla ever openly advertised. It's just a post purchase option you had to look for in the app.

This is just a guess but I honestly don't think they will ever have the boost upgrade for the LR again. I think they want to separate the LR from the more Performance oriented models.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

I thought (being a noob) that the 'boost' upgrade was just a software flag on the LR - you submit payment in the app, and BOOM, the change to your car happens OTA. If that is true - this is pretty much 'free money' for them? Maybe they don't sell enough of these 'boosts' to really make much difference to their bottom line I suppose, but I know if the new P is ridiculously priced, I'd be very interested in buying an LR and forking over the $2k (I think that's what it cost?) for the boost.

Crossing fingers for a reasonable priced P - or available boost-option. :)

Reactions: FastLaneJB
This is what a Marketing Department is for.

There is some perfect price where the die-hard top-of-the-line buyers will feel good paying (I.e. those who would pay $100k for an M3Comp over a 60k 335), but also low enough that the volume justifies the R&D.

For the LR vs P, they basically “snuck” some of the R&D costs of the P into the price of the LR (in 2018/2019) and then the post-2019 Boost. They kept the M3P price a bit lower by tapping into some of the “on the fence” market.

Bottom line, they will do what the marketing department says will make them the most money. Ideally for all of us, they crank out a 2.5/10.5 M3L and then have lots of space to milk those top-5% M3LR buyers for a 3.0/11.0 option :p . Then everyone pays exactly for what they want lol.

There is some perfect price where the die-hard top-of-the-line buyers will feel good paying (I.e. those who would pay $100k for an M3Comp over a 60k 335), but also low enough that the volume justifies the R&D.

For the LR vs P, they basically “snuck” some of the R&D costs of the P into the price of the LR (in 2018/2019) and then the post-2019 Boost. They kept the M3P price a bit lower by tapping into some of the “on the fence” market.

Bottom line, they will do what the marketing department says will make them the most money. Ideally for all of us, they crank out a 2.5/10.5 M3L and then have lots of space to milk those top-5% M3LR buyers for a 3.0/11.0 option :p . Then everyone pays exactly for what they want lol.
It'll be interesting to see if Ingenext comes out with a Highland boost option if Tesla offers it. Even funnier would be a boost option where none exists from Tesla.

... and then they drop the price a few months later.

... and then they drop the price a few months later.
1000076324.jpg

Not sure I want to prolong the speculation about acceleration figures, but I just stumbled across this I must have saved from a thread on TMC back in 2021. At the time I seem to remember it was a pretty good overview of the LR vs P and included the software 'bumps' we all enjoyed back then. Might be useful...

Model 3 acceleration.PNG

Not sure I want to prolong the speculation about acceleration figures, but I just stumbled across this I must have saved from a thread on TMC back in 2021. At the time I seem to remember it was a pretty good overview of the LR vs P and included the software 'bumps' we all enjoyed back then. Might be useful...

View attachment 1039588
To be fair this change is more like when the "Ludicrous" package came out for the Model S. The 0-60 mph time went from 3.0 to 2.4 as stated by Tesla on the website. That is the 20% improvement that Tesla stated on the website and in the manual. I honestly don't see any reason at all why we can't expect a 20% increase in performance this time too.

Actually the LR has been shown to pull ever so slowly on the P at the top end, I've seen at least one or two videos showing it.

I've also seen 2 videos "showing" it.

I've never seen any calibrated device measurements showing it though.... The NEAREST we get to evidence, and it's CRAZY slight, is in my spreadsheet that was just cited a couple posts ago...

P is still 0.04 quicker 50 to 60....But to get from the 1/8th mile mark to the 1/4 mile mark takes the P 4.19 seconds, while the LR boost takes 4.17 seconds.... Making the LR 0.02 seconds quicker.

Which honestly is a small enough difference it could be run/surface variance... or it could be a VERY VERY slight advantage to the LR, but not nearly enough of one it'd be obvious in a video

View attachment 1039588

I'm the one who made that- glad to see it's still proving useful a few years later.

I thought (being a noob) that the 'boost' upgrade was just a software flag on the LR - you submit payment in the app, and BOOM, the change to your car happens OTA. If that is true - this is pretty much 'free money' for them?

That was certainly true on the pre-Highland model. It's possible there's some change in HW for Highand LR that doesn't leave the same amount of "add a bunch of power" headroom but I've not cared enough to look into it.

It'll be interesting to see if Ingenext comes out with a Highland boost option if Tesla offers it. Even funnier would be a boost option where none exists from Tesla.

Ingenext has never offered any make-it-faster product that isn't just a clone of an existing Tesla config. I don't believe they have the ability to do so.

@Knightshade Sorry I couldn't give you credit at the time!

I agree re the LR vs P videos and I'm pretty sure Carwow was one of them.
Now, while I enjoy some of Carwow's stuff and am not directly involved with the production, I do know a few of the contributers/drivers. Their performance tests and comparisons are a bit of fun at best. They do not have the time or resources to do the job in the way most of us here would be satisfied with.
So take their results with a pinch of salt is my advice.

Reactions: Lindenwood
A little OT but those new UI videos are looking pretty good. It sure seems like now is a really good time to buy a new Tesla with the UI and FSD improvements along with the sub price being more reasonable. Vehicle cost is also near or at the lowest it's ever been. Can't wait to plunk down the order fee and wait 2-3 months.

A little OT but those new UI videos are looking pretty good. It sure seems like now is a really good time to buy a new Tesla with the UI and FSD improvements along with the sub price being more reasonable. Vehicle cost is also near or at the lowest it's ever been. Can't wait to plunk down the order fee and wait 2-3 months.
Depends what model you're looking at...Model 3 Highland RWD maybe...everything else no lol. the 3 LR price has been increased a couple times. Not to mention both 3s lost the federal rebate. The Y just lost it's $5k inventory discount. The S and X have had no price changes in a while IIRC (colors used to be free, but now cost money). Cybertruck is 40% more expensive than it was announced to be. Highland 3 P will also be priced high to capitalize on early fanboys while production is low.

I do think based on Q1 numbers, significant price drops are imminent, but RIGHT now is not the lowest the costs have ever been.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood