Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Total wild guess, but I’d speculate that the Ludicrous Model 3 will have the battery and motor combo to drop the 0-60 half a second, so about 2.6s. That would put it below the BMW M3 times, which is the bogey for this class of cars. Quarter mile drops by around a full second and is mid 10’s.

Also, I’d guess the price difference between LR and Ludicrous is, unfortunately, going to increase to pay for the upgraded battery and motors. Rather than the bargain $5k spread that it is right now, it’ll grow to a $10k to $15k spread. I’ll say $11k.

Hopefully we soon find out!

Total wild guess, but I’d speculate that the Ludicrous Model 3 will have the battery and motor combo to drop the 0-60 half a second, so about 2.6s. That would put it below the BMW M3 times, which is the bogey for this class of cars. Quarter mile drops by around a full second and is mid 10’s.

Also, I’d guess the price difference between LR and Ludicrous is, unfortunately, going to increase to pay for the upgraded battery and motors. Rather than the bargain $5k spread that it is right now, it’ll grow to a $10k to $15k spread. I’ll say $11k.

Hopefully we soon find out!
What stock BMW M3 does 0-60 mph in 2.6 seconds?

I'll never understand the obsession with 0-60. Such a narrow view of performance.
It's probably the most relevant to day to day "performance" driving however.
When you're at a random stoplight, the acceleration you get up to reasonable speeds if you just stomp on the throttle means a lot. Which means launch control, the time to put it in that mode, flames out the exhaust, and noises that will wake neighbors aren't all that interesting. And you can actually use this performance basically legally, and from the discussion here, Florida stop light drags sell a lot of cars.

Cornering at 9/10ths? Always above the speed limit by a bunch. Nobody full ABS stops to a red light. Plus 95% of cornering and braking is just what tire you put on the car. 0-100 MPH or a quarter mile? Where in the USA is that legal in a car that could be doing 140MPH+?

So few people actually track their cars or ever hit 100 MPH in them that it makes total sense to engineer a car for maximum 0-60, and you're probably making 98% of your buyers really happy with that.

What specs would you suggest Tesla focuses on that would help them sell more cars against the M3 / RS3?

Last edited:
What specs would you suggest Tesla focuses on that would help them sell more cars against the M3 / RS3?
I currently have an RS3 so I'll comment. Performance isn't the issue. The performance is already there and so is the amazing track mode. The only thing it needs on the performance spectrum is more top end pull. Now, to your question, most have already poo pood the idea that Tesla will do anything to differentiate the M3P from the standard LR in terms of interior quality or exterior looks. When cross shopping, the big negative for the Tesla is the econobox interior quality. If that's not an option, then Tesla needs to fix the suspension because it's terrible. My personal "dream" M3P is 0 to 60 at 2.8, more top end pull, some exterior styling cues and a "sportier" interior (just something to make it look different). Price it at 65k and you have a winner. That said, I've already been trashed here for suggesting that Tesla would ever do this.

It's probably the most relevant to day to day "performance" driving however.
When you're at a random stoplight, the acceleration you get up to reasonable speeds if you just stomp on the throttle means a lot. Which means launch control, the time to put it in that mode, flames out the exhaust, and noises that will wake neighbors aren't all that interesting. And you can actually use this performance basically legally, and from the discussion here, Florida stop light drags sell a lot of cars.

Cornering at 9/10ths? Always above the speed limit by a bunch. Nobody full ABS stops to a red light. Plus 95% of cornering and braking is just what tire you put on the car. 0-100 MPH or a quarter mile? Where in the USA is that legal in a car that could be doing 140MPH+?

So few people actually track their cars or ever hit 100 MPH in them that it makes total sense to engineer a car for maximum 0-60, and you're probably making 98% of your buyers really happy with that.

The driving dynamics of a car matter just as much, if not more, than raw specs. The feel of a car at 80% matters.

Would love if the new Model 3 had a more linear power curve, better tires (235s are not sufficient for a performance car), and better suspension with better steering feel and less body roll. Would be fine if 0-60 stayed the same.

Reactions: chalper
The driving dynamics of a car matter just as much, if not more, than raw specs. The feel of a car at 80% matters.

Would love if the new Model 3 had a more linear power curve, better tires (235s are not sufficient for a performance car), and better suspension with better steering feel and less body roll. Would be fine if 0-60 stayed the same.

I agree about the driving feel. My last two fun cars were a Miata and a RX-8, both nimble on their feet and relatively “underpowered”.

But, since this is about speculation as to what’s actually going to be built, I thought I’d put my guess in. There’s a prize for whoever gets closest, right?!

Reactions: chalper and pdx_m3s
  • Funny
Reactions: pdx_m3s
None. It puts it below the quickest M3, which is 2.8s

No one said it's going to do 2.6. Pure speculation. In any event, 0 to 60 is one of many attributes of a sports sedan. EVs have an inherent advantage over ICE cars when it comes to pure 0 to 60 but the Germans beat Tesla in just about everything else. The magic is in the other components like feel, body roll, suspension etc. And don't even bother discussing build quality and interior because Tesla is several steps behind there.

No one said it's going to do 2.6. Pure speculation. In any event, 0 to 60 is one of many attributes of a sports sedan. EVs have an inherent advantage over ICE cars when it comes to pure 0 to 60 but the Germans beat Tesla in just about everything else. The magic is in the other components like feel, body roll, suspension etc. And don't even bother discussing build quality and interior because Tesla is several steps behind there.

Yup, pure speculation by me in this thread titled “Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation”

Now, if this thread was a wishlist, that’d be different.

Now, if this thread was a wishlist, that’d be different.
90% of the posts in this thread are "wants" not any kind of logical speculation about what Tesla will actually do for a refreshed M3P.

For instance, is anyone "speculating" the interior will be different? Tesla has never once made a performance model with a different interior, not even when the car cost $50K more than the base car. Does someone actually think they are starting now? Is anyone "speculating" that they will put massive tires on the car and kill the range, despite not doing this on the Model S Plaid either?

All we have is people going "it's pointless, uncompetitive car that nobody will buy unless it beats everything a $100K M3 does at 60% the price" - which is not speculation on what the refresh M3P will be.

Reactions: Lindenwood

The same 0-60 with a more linear power curve means less peak horsepower below 40 MPH. Are you sure that's what you want and you'd buy that?

It's also interesting that everything else you want can be solved by spending $4000 on a current M3P, so Tesla could have done this forever ago if it was needed to keep sales up, or you can get it on your current car for a lot less than buying a refreshed M3P.

The same 0-60 with a more linear power curve means less peak horsepower below 40 MPH. Are you sure that's what you want and you'd buy that?
How do you figure that? If they engineered the thing so that it kept the same power curve to 40, and then just stayed there instead of falling off a cliff, it’d be superior in every aspect.

Think plaid curve, just not with 1000hp

1697837006077.jpeg

It's also interesting that everything else you want can be solved by spending $4000 on a current M3P

Throwing shocks and springs on a deficient platform does not “solve” anything. The ideal case would be the performance models getting the actual M treatment (where every bushing and suspension link is revised / improved). But that’s not Tesla’s MO unfortunately. And it’s out of the realm of 3rd parties to do any real engineering along those lines.

Reactions: Olle
How do you figure that? If they engineered the thing so that it kept the same power curve to 40, and then just stayed there instead of falling off a cliff, it’d be superior in every aspect.
M3P currently falls off above 40 MPH. So if you have a flat power curve and a goal of the identical 0-60, you don't need the same power at 40 MPH as before, because you're getting 40-60 faster. You can actually reduce your 0-40 if you increase your 40-60.

Throwing shocks and springs on a deficient platform does not “solve” anything. The ideal case would be the performance models getting the actual M treatment (where every bushing and suspension link is revised / improved).
Aftermarket sells a tons of bushings for the Model 3 already. And M cars don't change every bushing or control arm in the car, especially in older M platforms.

Example: Look at this control arm for a 2020 M4, and look at the HUGE number of cars it fits on from 2012 forward, including many base models:

The Model 3 already has a complex multi-link suspension front and rear. Even the 911 had McPhersons until recently. Shock and spring tuning is everything. Anyone that races a Model 3 will tell you to change the shocks and springs long before you throw bushings at it. And before that, they'll tell you to get some camber if you actually care about lateral grip (before you slap huge range reducing tires on it).

But it's also clear that people don't want a race car in a M3P. Search "Tesla model 3 stiff suspension" and see how much Tesla got beat up for the Model 3 suspension when it first shipped.

It's such a shame that when the parts catalog was up that nobody looked at the interesting things such as control arms to see if there was a "sports" version.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro