Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For blind spot checking, I've switched to using the screen but more specifically the rear view camera. It has better visibility of the blind spot than a quick head check in my opinion. So both in my Tesla's and my Rivian, I keep the rear view camera on at all times and can clearly see my blind spot through that.
Please adjust your mirrors correctly. You should not be able to see the side of your car in your side mirrors, and in this case there is no blind spot in the mirror.

Then, especially in your Rivian, the mirrors are much more effective than your reverse camera, which absolutley does not have coverage for the sides of your car because that's the way physics works. In the Rivian the check on the mirror gives you both a visual and technological signal since it has the blind spot monitor in the mirror. In the Tesla just use the visual, which again has no blind spot.

Anyone thinking that when changing lanes to the left that an acceptable prodedure is to look to the right and down at thier center screen really needs to re-evaluate their process and the risk they are putting other people at.

Please adjust your mirrors correctly. You should not be able to see the side of your car in your side mirrors, and in this case there is no blind spot in the mirror.

Then, especially in your Rivian, the mirrors are much more effective than your reverse camera, which absolutley does not have coverage for the sides of your car because that's the way physics works. In the Rivian the check on the mirror gives you both a visual and technological signal since it has the blind spot monitor in the mirror. In the Tesla just use the visual, which again has no blind spot.

Anyone thinking that when changing lanes to the left that an acceptable prodedure is to look to the right and down at thier center screen really needs to re-evaluate their process and the risk they are putting other people at.
Yes, mirror adjustment is nothing new. I've had my mirrors set this way for the past 20 years. But I won't start an argument about this

Attachments

• PNG image 44.png
    PNG image 44.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PNG image 43.png
    PNG image 43.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
I was listening to Ride the Lightning podcast and they conducted this poll:

1707572571016.png

Based on this poll and many comments here, Tesla could paint the standard brakes red, stick spoilers and front lips on with 3M tape, come up with another set of 35lb wheels that ride poorly and are prone to damage, keep cost reducing while reducing functionality (no stalks & no ultra sonic sensors), and that's going to sell the most cars / make the most profit.

Personally, I'd like to see these on a new PERFORMANCE version of the car. I realize you can do many of these yourself and there's only a handful of us that would actually use these so it's not happening:
-18" wheels or the smallest size that will fit over the brakes. Longer wheel studs would be nice too.
-More durable control arm bushings that don't tear after track use or a few years of street driving.
-Camber adjustability from the factory. Doesn't have to be -3 degrees, but maybe slot the frame or use a cam bolt in an upper/lower arm so there's some street class adjustability. While they're in there, get the speed sensor wires away from the tires.
-Weight reduction. Remove the frunk liner. I don't use it and then it's easier to make adjustments ^. No auto opening trunk. Removing the back seat and having a rack for tires like GR Corolla Morizo would be sweet.
-Limited slip differential. Another GR Corolla comparison: LSD is $1180 package I'd pay for sure.

I was listening to Ride the Lightning podcast and they conducted this poll:

View attachment 1017136

Based on this poll and many comments here, Tesla could paint the standard brakes red, stick spoilers and front lips on with 3M tape, come up with another set of 35lb wheels that ride poorly and are prone to damage, keep cost reducing while reducing functionality (no stalks & no ultra sonic sensors), and that's going to sell the most cars / make the most profit.

Personally, I'd like to see these on a new PERFORMANCE version of the car. I realize you can do many of these yourself and there's only a handful of us that would actually use these so it's not happening:
-18" wheels or the smallest size that will fit over the brakes. Longer wheel studs would be nice too.
-More durable control arm bushings that don't tear after track use or a few years of street driving.
-Camber adjustability from the factory. Doesn't have to be -3 degrees, but maybe slot the frame or use a cam bolt in an upper/lower arm so there's some street class adjustability. While they're in there, get the speed sensor wires away from the tires.
-Weight reduction. Remove the frunk liner. I don't use it and then it's easier to make adjustments ^. No auto opening trunk. Removing the back seat and having a rack for tires like GR Corolla Morizo would be sweet.
-Limited slip differential. Another GR Corolla comparison: LSD is $1180 package I'd pay for sure.
Pretty safe bet that none of these will be offered.

Tesla publicly says that there isn’t a new Model Y coming this year. What they didn’t say is actually more important.

They didn’t say that a new Model 3 Performance isn’t coming this year. It will definitely happen this year but it may happen later in the year rather than in a couple of weeks like some people think.

Reactions: Lolo780
Here are some results of a CyberBeast. If the Highland Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous can post a 1.62 60’ time it could definitely be way under 7 seconds for the 1/8 mile and deep in the 10s for the 1/4 mile.

Just taking a tenth off of the 60’ would probably enable a 2.7 second or better 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout.

IMG_2217.jpeg
IMG_2222.jpeg
IMG_2221.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Tesla publicly says that there isn’t a new Model Y coming this year. What they didn’t say is actually more important.

They didn’t say that a new Model 3 Performance isn’t coming this year. It will definitely happen this year but it may happen later in the year rather than in a couple of weeks like some people think.
First half of 2024 was the last verbal off-the-record. So maybe a reveal in April and actual deliveries in June. I don't view the non-mention (in a message about the Y) as a tacit signal of a late year release for the M3P.