Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I wouldn’t expect them to try and make a new sub 10 sec 1/4 mile time.. They SHOULD probably put a larger profile tire on the rear at least, and make it a slightly heavier wheel for sure.

But, as for “plaid” comparisons.. where are you landing? Not ~ 2 second 0-60? (With roll out, same as plaid <1.99 - this is a stupid number)

Or just that overall they won’t do it, to maintain the “halo” cars interest and value - because frankly at this point they should really just abandon model S since it provides no significant volume of sales, revenues, margin. probably something else I’m forgetting. Don’t get me wrong, great car, but not worth the effort for the value to the company that it brings.

So, will they not/ CAN they not, make a Model 3 highland that would do 0-60 in ~ 2 seconds?
Theoretically a 920 HP Model 3 Plaid would get into the 9.1s. However, the Model 3 battery couldn’t do that kind of power and it definitely couldn’t sustain that much power for long periods of time.

IMG_2636.png
IMG_2637.png

0-60 mph is limited by traction. However, it isn’t just the tires that determine traction. Suspension, weight distribution, and power delivery are all key to putting down max force at the contact patch.

It just wouldn’t make any sense to change the Model 3 enough to accommodate 920+ HP. It would require so many significant design changes that it wouldn’t be worth it.

The Model 3 was designed as a mass produced family hauler that is extremely efficient. It is quick almost as a byproduct of the capabilities of an EV.

Yeah, I actually think it does. Every time I see one on the road it's similar to me seeing a Porsche. It's getting long in the tooth but they have a ton of presence. They do in fact look mean and fast to me.
The average person can't tell a LR from a Plaid at all, or even a 2016 Model S 60 from a Plaid. It's weird to me that it's unacceptable if a quick Model 3 doesn't look "special" but seeing a Model S is like seeing a Porsche.

Maybe it's just that where I live there are 3 Model S's in about 30 homes, and zero Porsches (much less actually hypercar fast Porsches).

I can't imagine if you put a picture of a 4 door model Model S, a GT3 RS, and a Ferrari FF90 up in front of people with zero knowledge the S was fastest that they woud pick the S as the fastest car, so I fail to see what details about the S makes it fit this mold while the Model 3 doesn't. Their design language is so similar that some people can't even tell them apart at a distance.

One of these things is not like the other:
1708995935434.png
1708996041599.png

Theoretically a 920 HP Model 3 Plaid would get into the 9.1s. However, the Model 3 battery couldn’t do that kind of power and it definitely couldn’t sustain that much power for long periods of time.

View attachment 1022330View attachment 1022331

0-60 mph is limited by traction. However, it isn’t just the tires that determine traction. Suspension, weight distribution, and power delivery are all key to putting down max force at the contact patch.

It just wouldn’t make any sense to change the Model 3 enough to accommodate 920+ HP. It would require so many significant design changes that it wouldn’t be worth it.

The Model 3 was designed as a mass produced family hauler that is extremely efficient. It is quick almost as a byproduct of the capabilities of an EV.
So, you don’t think the Model 3 being 16% LIGHTER than the Model S plaid, wouldn’t allow for a similar at least 16% reduction in required HP (and that’s probably not the metric to truly drive all of 0-60 time and also not simply linear) in order to get to quite similar 0-60 speeds?

The average person can't tell a LR from a Plaid at all, or even a 2016 Model S 60 from a Plaid. It's weird to me that it's unacceptable if a quick Model 3 doesn't look "special" but seeing a Model S is like seeing a Porsche.

Maybe it's just that where I live there are 3 Model S's in about 30 homes, and zero Porsches (much less actually hypercar fast Porsches).

I can't imagine if you put a picture of a 4 door model Model S, a GT3 RS, and a Ferrari FF90 up in front of people with zero knowledge the S was fastest that they woud pick the S as the fastest car, so I fail to see what details about the S makes it fit this mold while the Model 3 doesn't. Their design language is so similar that some people can't even tell them apart at a distance.

View attachment 1022333View attachment 1022335
That's why we need the Roadster. Just drop the plaid power train in it and ship it!

Reactions: SigNC
So, you don’t think the Model 3 being 16% LIGHTER than the Model S plaid, wouldn’t allow for a similar at least 16% reduction in required HP (and that’s probably not the metric to truly drive all of 0-60 time and also not simply linear) in order to get to quite similar 0-60 speeds?
I used motormatchup to calculate the power and times. I was able to use motormatchup to predict every single time I have done after each modification. It is the most accurate predictor I have found.

Everyone who has tried to make a Plaid quicker by making it significantly lighter has struggled with traction. In most cases they got slower first until they tackled the traction issue. I think the Model 3 would be even more difficult for traction if you were trying to run low 9s.

Most people are over hyping this car.
It will have the same old performance battery
Will make slightly more power and might not fall off as much at speed
It will not have a carbon wrapped plaid motor. Instead it will have the same hairpin one in the model y performance.
You will get nicer seats and a stick on spoiler.
The body in white will be identical

By the time you add a higher discharge battery, larger brakes, axles, hubs & bearings, power wires, cooling, wider tires plus the 3rd motor it wouldn't be much lighter.

Most people are over hyping this car.
It will have the same old performance battery
Will make slightly more power and might not fall off as much at speed
It will not have a carbon wrapped plaid motor. Instead it will have the same hairpin one in the model y performance.
You will get nicer seats and a stick on spoiler.
The body in white will be identical
It’s already been confirmed in European reg docs there is a completely new motor coming…

Reactions: SigNC
IDK. Any car that beats the S Plaid ought to look faster/sportier/meaner than this. This doesn't scream "fastest production car on the planet" to me.
Call me weird, but I like having a car that DOESN'T look faster/sportier/meaner. I like surprising people: way more fun. Think '66 Dodge Coronet or '67 Cougar XR7
Every time I see one on the road it's similar to me seeing a Porsche.
Sorry, but as @gearchruncher pointed out, they are NOT the same thing. The S Plaid looks like and is a four-door sedan. Heck, even the Panamera doesn't "look like a Porsche" (IMO of course, though I know others share the same thought).

The main reason you think "faster/sportier/meaner" when you see a Plaid S is that you KNOW what it can do. Sure, it has some sexier features to it's visual appeal, but it is not what one thinks of when they think of a sexy car.

(And lest anyone think I am bashing the S, I am most certainly not!)

Reactions: blecchus_rex

View attachment 1022333View attachment 1022335
Per usual you completely took my post out of context. My post was referring to a hypothetical nonexistent m3p that had a trimotor setup that was faster than a model s. And yes, if Tesla builds that car I would PERSONALLY find it unacceptable to look like the picture above (and so would Elon). Since that car isn’t being built there’s really no reason to argue about what it should look like in the Land of Oz. As far as your pictures, I happen to think the Model S is one of if not the most attractive car on the road. So yes, I think it looks appropriately fast and mean. Your reference to the “average” person is another attempt to move the goalposts. None of us here are “average” car buyers so feel free to take your arguments over to the Chevy Bolt forums.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Call me weird, but I like having a car that DOESN'T look faster/sportier/meaner. I like surprising people: way more fun. Think '66 Dodge Coronet or '67 Cougar XR7

Sorry, but as @gearchruncher pointed out, they are NOT the same thing. The S Plaid looks like and is a four-door sedan. Heck, even the Panamera doesn't "look like a Porsche" (IMO of course, though I know others share the same thought).

The main reason you think "faster/sportier/meaner" when you see a Plaid S is that you KNOW what it can do. Sure, it has some sexier features to it's visual appeal, but it is not what one thinks of when they think of a sexy car.

(And lest anyone think I am bashing the S, I am most certainly not!)
Since when can’t we have opinions here? I appreciate you telling me why I think something looks fast and mean, but believe it or not im perfectly capable of forming my own opinions. I think its looks fast and mean because to me it does! The m3p highland pictured above certainly doesn’t. Since it’s likely to be similar to the outgoing model, that’s fine. Nothing a few grand can’t fix anyway. Here is my long and not forgotten m3p. I loved how it looked. If you squint it kinda looks like that 911…

Attachments

• 67253456992__F9122C22-8FBD-4BE2-90D9-FA13D9ECBA7F.jpeg
    67253456992__F9122C22-8FBD-4BE2-90D9-FA13D9ECBA7F.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 14
  • Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
So what's a realistic 0 to 60 MPH for this car with the existing battery pack and why slap a ludicrous badge on the back if there's not reasonable improvement in acceleration.
My guess is 2.9s 0-60 (no rollout) and 10.9s 1/4 mile without preconditioning. That way the media can publish a 2 and 10 number legitimately. Mph wise I'd guess G80 M3 speed, maybe 123mph.

1/8th mile 6.9s @ 100mph, 60ft 1.69s.