Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys…this is a $60k MAX car 😂 get a plaid for $90k or M3 Comp xDrive for $85k if you want the fastest car on the strip.

Everyone has been throwing wild af expectations in this *one hundred and fifty eight* page thread for MONTHS now.

We need to keep it real and say that 2.9 seconds is NOT a disappointment for a $60k or less car. What else is even close to this for the same money?
2.9 is basically what the current one does with some lighter wheels. I know 2.9 for 0-60 mph with rollout subtracted is still a good time especially for the money. However, the expectation is that it will be significantly quicker than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JezzaE
Way faster could also mean 1/4 mile, top speed, etc
True, but I have a hard time believing the top speed will be "way" faster as even the Model S Plaid has an identical top speed without the optional Track Pack.

The way Tesla seem to be positioning this new M3L gives the impression that low down and mid range will see the most noticeable improvements. Most people buying these will only care about off the line acceleration and ripping it along twisty roads, both of which means anything over 170km/h won't really matter.

The holes are there. The camera's denoise and probably this website's jpg compression is just being very aggressive and making them harder to see.
CSI zoom and enhance:
1712145955112.png

I love black cars but black is not the color for this thing. It’s flashy for what it is but I may go red. Either way it’s an absolute debadge of the T E S L A on the back the very first day. The logo looks good but the letters are meh IMHO.

Completely agree about black not being a great color for this vehicle/trim. All the fine details/lines on the vehicle (like the front lip/diffuser, etc…) get lost with black. In general, this is true for vehicles with very dark paint colors… which is why I prefer and have a lighter color (pearl white) on my current vehicle. It brings out and lets you see/appreciate all the fine details and body contour lines.

I was leaning towards getting this M3 Ludicrous in white, but after seeing all the photos of the Ultra Red, I may end up joining you and going that route!

I actually like the lettering, so will definitely leave that alone.

One thing is for sure… got to get rid of that wheel gap and possibly improve the stance (i.e. use spacers or something to get a more flushed look). Perhaps it’s just the angle of the photo, but the one attached below that I pulled off Reddit appears to have a bit too much gap for my taste.

Also, I’ll have to contact the folks at MPP (Mountain Pass Performance) to see if the Comfort Coilovers on my existing M3P will fit the new M3 Ludicrous. If so, I’ll have to remove those coilovers before selling my M3P.
Let the fun/mods/accessorizing begin!!!! :cool:

IMG_0973.jpeg

Reactions: phantasms
Ironically (or not so) everyone wanted the T E S L A letters on the back. Now that Tesla is doing it stock, everyone wants the logo back. Moral of the story is whatever isn’t stock people want.
That's why I'll be going for the chrome delete-delete. JK I deleted my 2018 and never looked back. Love that the M3L is coming just after its 5 year anniversary, it's run really well but I'm itching for an upgrade

Reactions: phantasms
2.9 is basically what the current one does with some lighter wheels. I know 2.9 for 0-60 mph with rollout subtracted is still a good time especially for the money. However, the expectation is that it will be significantly quicker than that.
IMO 2.9 isn't sufficient improvement to justify the financial hit I would take replacing my low mileage 2022 M3P with a new car.

I'd rather take the much smaller hit of buying a set Atomic Wheels AWzz and 18" tires, and get some of that back by selling the Uberheavy/Pirelli combo, which still have a good deal of tread left.

IMO 2.9 isn't sufficient improvement to justify the financial hit I would take replacing my low mileage 2022 M3P with a new car.

I'd rather take the much smaller hit of buying a set Atomic Wheels AWzz and 18" tires, and get some of that back by selling the Uberheavy/Pirelli combo, which still have a good deal of tread left.
To be fair we'll have to see what the new car gains from lightweight 18s.

Reactions: tm1v2
Completely agree about black not being a great color for this vehicle/trim. All the fine details/lines on the vehicle (like the front lip/diffuser, etc…) get lost with black. In general, this is true for vehicles with very dark paint colors… which is why I prefer and have a lighter color (pearl white) on my current vehicle. It brings out and lets you see/appreciate all the fine details and body contour lines.

I was leaning towards getting this M3 Ludicrous in white, but after seeing all the photos of the Ultra Red, I may end up joining you and going that route!

I actually like the lettering, so will definitely leave that alone.

One thing is for sure… got to get rid of that wheel gap and possibly improve the stance (i.e. use spacers or something to get a more flushed look). Perhaps it’s just the angle of the photo, but the one attached below that I pulled off Reddit appears to have a bit too much gap for my taste.

Also, I’ll have to contact the folks at MPP (Mountain Pass Performance) to see if the Comfort Coilovers on my existing M3P will fit the new M3 Ludicrous. If so, I’ll have to remove those coilovers before selling my M3P.
Let the fun/mods/accessorizing begin!!!! :cool:

View attachment 1035016

Ironically (or not so) everyone wanted the T E S L A letters on the back. Now that Tesla is doing it stock, everyone wants the logo back. Moral of the story is whatever isn’t stock people want.
I want chrome door handles

It's been confirmed by MPP that the non-Ludicrous highand has the same suspension locations as the legacy cars and can use existing suspension mods. The chance Ludicrous has a different suspension than the base cars is basically zero, Tesla has never done that nor do other performance brands like M or AMG except in extreme cases.

But since you have comforts, there is also a good chance the new adjustable/reactive suspension on the Ludicrous is as good or better than the MPP's.

This seems like an independent issue however- you will not get more money for an M3P on Coliovers than stock suspension, and it may even be a negative to many buyers. You should always take mods off and sell them individually when selling a car if you care about the financial aspect.